Campbell River Reports 2014

Have fished Campell River area for 40 years, there were grey cod or p-cod here then. Where are these "hake" being caught? How big are they?

Released three, bonked a 20# and lost a hog yesterday afternoon. The lost fish broke the line, must have had a flaw. Also a decent snapper as an incidental. All on bait. Only one dogfish.

Torn between fishing local and heading to Alberni for sox on Sunday.

Steelhead, were you fishing at the hump ? Green Can ? I'm in Alberta but looking forward to fishing when I get back next week.

Hump was good for me today. Stayed a little south out of the crowds. 1 shaker 1 hatch coho and a 10# hatch in a couple hours. Probably could've doubled that but had a couple bad tangles.

Hi fellas, thinking to do a trip up Campbell river way from vancouver for the first time. Was hearing it was really good fishing but hard to get solid reports to confirm that. Thinking to fish a few spots along the way up. Planning for Tuesday to Friday. Has it been solid? Any info would be appreciated as it's a long run if it's slow. Was going to go to renfrew but reports sounded slow and my friend and I have both never fished your area so that could be a good experience.

Hi fellas, thinking to do a trip up Campbell river way from vancouver for the first time. Was hearing it was really good fishing but hard to get solid reports to confirm that. Thinking to fish a few spots along the way up. Planning for Tuesday to Friday. Has it been solid? Any info would be appreciated as it's a long run if it's slow. Was going to go to renfrew but reports sounded slow and my friend and I have both never fished your area so that could be a good experience.

Stop by grants reef on your way by it's been unreal the past few days again.

Sangster has been great for the ECVI guys as of late. Cruise that thread. Kelly laid a beating on some smileys a few times.....the reports had me thinking of heading NW as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three tweeners and another big snapper this morning. Lost a solid one too. Everything on bait, and everything on the bottom. Two puppies, but I can cope with that.

Beautiful morning out there. It was my buddy's last day on the water before his second kid arrives (his last trip this season I bet) so it was satisfying to get him into a few.

Fished this afternoon at the green can. Lots of bait and fish out there. Managed a 7 and 10 lb spring one was a hatch. Lost a couple at the boat. All caught on spoons and near the surface at 80 ft. Lots of boats and nets out.

Fished the green can this afternoon. Lots of undersize and smaller wild coho. Just as we were about to leave, my buddy got a 30 lb on a plug. We fished Kitty earlier in the day and I got a 10 and a 18 on a spoon at 180'

VanIsle, how deep are you fishing at the Green Can ?

We fished nearly all depths. Flasher and spoon on one side, plug on the other. Most of the undersize springs and coho were caught around 50 - 60 feet. We were getting ready to leave and trolled our way south of the green can where the depth was 135' At that point, we dropped the gear to the bottom, and my friend hooked up almost immediately. A different fishing friend reported to us that he he hooked a 22 and a 27 on Saturday at the green can at 35 feet during the tide change.

Today we fished the green can up around 50-70 for a while and caught a coho and a small spring on green and blue cyote spoons. Just before we left we put a blue 6 inch tomic plug and caught this :)spring salmon.jpg

We fished nearly all depths. Flasher and spoon on one side, plug on the other. Most of the undersize springs and coho were caught around 50 - 60 feet. We were getting ready to leave and trolled our way south of the green can where the depth was 135' At that point, we dropped the gear to the bottom, and my friend hooked up almost immediately. A different fishing friend reported to us that he he hooked a 22 and a 27 on Saturday at the green can at 35 feet during the tide change.

Thanks for the info. I'll be fishing on Thursday and post results.

Green Can or Hump?

Going fishing on Thursday with a couple of rookies and debating which spot to fish. I would rather have multiple hits even if we have release most if not all of them rather than one or two hits of keepers. I expect we'll lose the first few fish. Having said that, would I be better to try the Green Can as opposed to going to the Hump? My thought is fishing shallower at the Green Can will be easier with rookies. The southeast wind may be a factor on Thursday but I don't think one spot is more protected than the other. Any thoughts ?

Looks like you will be fine in the morning. The wind could pick up in the afternoon. Keep a good eye out.
We fished early at the hump and lighthouse today. Not much action early, but we had a wild coho, low teener spring and a keeper ling around 9.
WE were fishing hootchies and spoons near the bottom between 180 and 210.
That was during the second half of the ebb.
Saw a lot of boats heading to the green can around the same time.
It was snotty at parts where we were fishing due to gusty NW and a big ebb. Should be calmer with the SE in the morning.
Good luck!

Back