Cowichan

For sure... that is the way it goes.

What irks me is....

Steelhead are the hot potato..... DFO has the mandate for anadromous fish, fresh or salt. DFO says its a trout and try to pass the buck to the province to take care of them.

Then the province passes back..

Of course they do................this issue is a political minefield for any government, so they aren't going to move without the Cowichan FN taking the lead. That IS where any solution will have to come from. This is not a case of a native band blatantly raping and pillaging an at risk species. It is a few bad apples that give the rest a bad name, and if the Cowichan FN want any credibility within the community, they will have to show that they understand, it is up to them to police themselves in a way that shows they have the greater good of the fish as the first priority. This is an opportunity for them to build good relations with all user groups within their claimed traditional lands. It was good to see they were involved with the removal of the net, and hopefully, will continue to patrol and actively discourage this activity. Without their active participation, DFO and the province will not want to stir up a hornet's nest and the netting will simply go on unchecked. The only losers then will be the fish.

Really ****** when we have nets wiping out steelhead down low and then a guide abusing,mishandling,bear hugging, hero picture session the fish that make it it past the gauntlet. Sad to see the this new guide doing this to a depleted run this year.... Just saying

LOL...........I wouldn't too much about him, he's not much of a threat to the fish. He's only got about 4 pics of steelhead from the Cowichan this year, the rest are brown trout and a few small resident rainbows. He likes to take a lot of pics of a single fish from different angles and "recycle" them throughout the season. He has already abandoned one west coast river where he couldn't compete, and it looks like his skills have transferred nicely to the Cowichan. He is more of an annoyance than anything else.........like a mosquito that keeps buzzing around your ear........eventually it goes away, no harm done. ;)

He has certainly gone " all in " when it comes to gear. To bad that doesn't translate to catching more fish…..

LOL...........I wouldn't too much about him, he's not much of a threat to the fish. He's only got about 4 pics of steelhead from the Cowichan this year, the rest are brown trout and a few small resident rainbows. He likes to take a lot of pics of a single fish from different angles and "recycle" them throughout the season. He has already abandoned one west coast river where he couldn't compete, and it looks like his skills have transferred nicely to the Cowichan. He is more of an annoyance than anything else.........like a mosquito that keeps buzzing around your ear........eventually it goes away, no harm done. ;)

How about naming names?

Is this a pre-typed response to any thread in regard to FN extracurricular "fishing"? This particular thread has actually been pretty civil. Heck, no ones pulled out the residential schools card yet. Glad that things on the river seem to be taken care off through the right jurisdictions and with co-operation.

FYI. I have exchanged greetings with a few FN sports fishermen that appear to value the recreation side of steelhead fishing and certainly don't think it's a crime to let them go.

No it was not a pre-typed response, in fact it was the only time I have commented on a contentious issue on this forum. I certainly have no issue with people expressing their disappointment that there are nets in the river. My point was just that you are more likely to change the way things are by keeping an open mind, trying to put yourself in the other guys shoes, and being civil. There were a couple of posts earlier in this thread that were not civil at all.

There were a couple of posts earlier in this thread that were not civil at all.

Can't find them? A couple of suggestions of what should happen to the perp's perhaps, but no mention of race in those posts.

There were a couple of posts earlier in this thread that were not civil at all.

I think he is referring to folks who jump into a thoughtful debate with flippant and shallow remarks, comments that don't really add anything. I think the nets are unacceptable, but I enjoyed hearing Bugs perspective.

Looks like there is a couple trees completely across the lower river somewhere. If someone knows the whereabouts please let us know.

The upper should be good for some browns though right??

:p

Trout fishing has been good though high water might make things a little tougher. The river picks up most of it's colour at Claybanks, just above Stoltz. So the upper river shouldn't be mucky.

Back