Cowichan River Driftboat Hazard

fshnfnatic

Just a big heads up here guys. Walked the lower Cowichan today and came across probably the worst
sweeper I,ve ever seen! It's located at Quinns Pool {I 'm not sure if that's how it's spelled} and it's a
dandy. It's about a 3 ft. diameter fir tree with the root wad still attached and somehow it ended up
on top of a large rock on the far side of the river,pivoted and swung until the top jammed into the
bank, leaving it jutting straight across the river. This combined with the fact that it's also directly after
a large set of rapids on a sharp bend make it even more deadly. In case your not familier with that
section of the flow, it's about 1 mile below S-Pools and at the start of Paradise Canyon.If you know
anyone with a driftboat that fishes the Cowy at all,please let them know about this hazard. I've talked
to Cowichan Fly and Tackle in Lake Cowichan and warned them because they have several guide boats
on the flow all the time. Went a step further and contacted the CVRD,who then sent me to the
Ministry of Enviroment,who then sent me to the local Conservation Officer. They said they'd investigate
it and get back to me,but in the mean time this thing ain't goin' nowhere! If you know anybody that
drifts the lower Cowichan,please inform them of this hazard. I'd hate for anything to happen to someone
on an innocent fishing trip to find some steel!

Just a big heads up here guys. Walked the lower Cowichan today and came across probably the worst
sweeper I,ve ever seen! It's located at Quinns Pool {I 'm not sure if that's how it's spelled} and it's a
dandy. It's about a 3 ft. diameter fir tree with the root wad still attached and somehow it ended up
on top of a large rock on the far side of the river,pivoted and swung until the top jammed into the
bank, leaving it jutting straight across the river. This combined with the fact that it's also directly after
a large set of rapids on a sharp bend make it even more deadly. In case your not familier with that
section of the flow, it's about 1 mile below S-Pools and at the start of Paradise Canyon
.If you know
anyone with a driftboat that fishes the Cowy at all,please let them know about this hazard. I've talked
to Cowichan Fly and Tackle in Lake Cowichan and warned them because they have several guide boats
on the flow all the time. Went a step further and contacted the CVRD,who then sent me to the
Ministry of Enviroment,who then sent me to the local Conservation Officer. They said they'd investigate
it and get back to me,but in the mean time this thing ain't goin' nowhere! If you know anybody that
drifts the lower Cowichan,please inform them of this hazard. I'd hate for anything to happen to someone
on an innocent fishing trip to find some steel!

This stretch of river is below Vimy.

That's correct,onefish. Gwen's pool is below Vimy about 2-3 miles. There is a teepee wrapped with a blue tarp on the
right side of the river as you travel downstream. That is called Indian pool. The sweeper in question is about 500 yards
further at the next bend.What makes it particularly dangerous is it's right after the bend in very fast water,and if you
were to be swamped,it's sheer rock on both sides with nowhere to even climb out on any shoreline.Talked to a fellow
from the Provincial Parks this morning,and he said it's not in their jurastiction either,but is going to contact DFO to see
if they can do anything about it. The main problem seems to be that particular stretch of river on that side is Indian
Reservation,and they're not sure who has the authority to legally remove it. Tipical government red tape BS! I just hope it's dealt with sooner than later.Everyone's been waiting for a good rain to bring the fish in,and it's gonna be
real busy the next while.They're going to contact me when it gets sorted out,so I'll post any updates as I here them.
Just spread the word to anyone you know that might be concidering a trip down the lower end. That thing is a death
trap!

Is the Cowichan river is considered navigable waters or the log is causing a barrier to migrating fish? How many Drift boat operators or others have the privilege of using pull outs below Vimy?

It's always a possibilty that there is a new hazard around the corner. One should always be alert and prepared. I remember when I drifted back in the 80's a big tree fell across the river at "the washout". Ahead of me I watched Gary Cooper and crew react quickly and skillfully not only to avoid disaster but to get the boat and contents over and on it's way. One needs to plan for possible scenario's. Just down from the washout there is a hard left with a hole in the wall and a strong back eddy. A rope dangled down into this and I often wondered if it was used for rescue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update. Took a hike to the river today and the sweeper has moved and ended up downstream a 100 yds. or so with plenty of room and time to get around. Someone must have bucked it over the weekend. Good on em! All good to go now
Go get em boys!

Back