R.I.P. Dave [The Roadrunner] Tickell..........

Dave H

Many Van Isle steelheaders would have known or heard of Dave Tickell, a full-on fishing maniac and steelheader of no small skill.
I didn't know him but heard many tales from those who did during the 90's when I was heavily involved in the SSBC and such.
I do recall one day between Shelter Point and the Oyster River during coho season a fellow who chased the little pods of salmon up and down the beach while the rest of us waited our shot at them when they passed our respective positions. I was told that was Dave and he was called "the Roadrunner" because he was always on the move chasing that next fish.
Anyway, sad to see he passed away on May 1st, here at Campbell River.

Condolences to family and friends.

Take care.

What a shame, my condolences to his family.

Met him in the Log Cabin at Spence's Bridge in the 80's and saw him at many Steelhead Society meetings.

RIP

Yes-- I didnt know him well-- but he was obviously one of the good guys..

I first met Dave when I was a teenager living in North Vancouver in the late sixties early seventies. I was new to the steelheading game at the time and he was kind enough to spend some time with me and show me some of the rudiments of the sport. I used to haunt the Lynn and Seymour and would see him quite often, at these times I would stop fishing and just watch him fishing---What I got was in essence a crash course in how to be a successful angler. Later we had both moved to V.I. and I would see him less often usually chasing steelhead or coho. Thanks Dave, RIP.

Back