Okanagan lake is finally starting to pick up.

There is some big excitement around the hatchery. The Okanagan Nation Alliance has been negotiating with the US hydro utilities for 7 years to make this a reality. They had a groundbreaking ceremony last month despite the lack of a final commitment to the project but now the project is a go and the contract has been awarded, work will start mid July.

I am trying to find a link to verify this opening. Do you have one?

Osoyoos Lake had openings the last two years and the bands there were in full support of the recreational openings.

I have some doubts as to the bands support of recreational fishing being allowed as the news reports at the site below spells out the Native allialliance position on it

I think it may have been too early for any kind of fishing to take place

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/b...r-over-sockeye/article1681604/?service=mobile

I have some doubts as to the bands support of recreational fishing being allowed as the news reports at the site below spells out the Native allialliance position on it

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/b...r-over-sockeye/article1681604/?service=mobile

Thanks for the link. I fished the Osoyoos Lake opening twice and spoke to band members on the water commercial fishing and they were friendly, helpful and said they were lots of fish to go around. They even encouraged sporties who were out with FN guides to take more than their limit of two, and they would be dropped off at the band office and used to feed families living on the band.

I don't think there was an opening on Skaha though.

I think that story is a bit of a beat up, we know how the media loves conflict. Stewart Philip has been taking an adversarial approach to FN-govt affairs for decades and can always be relied upon for a gruff response. Note that there are no quotes from other FN leaders in the Globe's piece. At the working level, the folks in the ONA fisheries outfit seem quite proud that their efforts produced enough of a surplus of fish that all could share.

Was out on Sunday, mostly sorting newly installed gear before the boat goes to the coast in August. We did get some kokanee near Summerland, 300-500 metres off the beach in 60-80 ft of water, trolling coyote type spoons 20 ft off bottom. Also hooked a good size rainbow in same area, my ineptness let it escape close to the boat.

Was out today, hit two fish, around 5-6 pounds, released, around Eldorado at 10:00 am. 120 feet of water. Apex gold and watermelon at 50 feet with a dummy flasher.

Was out today, hit two fish, around 5-6 pounds, released, around Eldorado at 10:00 am. 120 feet of water. Apex gold and watermelon at 50 feet with a dummy flasher.

Those fish in that lake are so amazing to look at. Id love to see pics of these fish more often. Do you ever take pics or is it more about getting it back in the water as fast as possible with this heat?

-KK

Those fish in that lake are so amazing to look at. Id love to see pics of these fish more often. Do you ever take pics or is it more about getting it back in the water as fast as possible with this heat?

-KK

I usually have pics, but I was alone this time and yes, quick release is usually what I'm after. Also had my go pro on my head with a dead battery. The first generation go pros have a terrible battery life. I'm recharging it more than using it. The rainbows in the big interior lakes are wild and fight hard. But OK lake is slow fishing at the best of times.

Thats awsome. I love the act of fishing. Catching is a Bonus. Ive only fished the lake once and I was 7 years old. Im from the island. I would love to come out and give it a try one day though.

Yes i really want to get a Gopro I had a day fishing Coho's and pinks last week where I could have had some epic footage of them hitting in the propwash. Would have been amazing. To bad there so danm expensive. And Then after that. You have to manage all the footage. That must take forever!

-KK

Going to be on the lake tommorrow, hopefully we can catch a couple, the Rainbows and Kokanee sure are beautiful to look at, they taste pretty good too

Back