Campion Toba 26--Good or Not Good in rough seas?

cymru

I am considering a Campion Toba to do a bit of cruising and a bit of fishing (a 70's model that has the strings and transom rebuilt).
Is it any good in rough seas/offshore once in awhile?

My Dad had a 1980(24') Haida when I was a teenager. I have some great memories from that boat cruising the gulf islands and even up to desolation. Offshore? I don't know. I think it might be tippy steering from above. I can't say I remember being in any rough stuff when I was in that boat. They have nice lines that are timeless.

I was on a charter onetime in a 26ft campion Toba.

The cap sat up on the command bridge the entire time steering.

It was friggin windy that day.

Every time we got a fish on he'd come down and handle the necessary gear.

The wind would blow the boat around pretty good because of the high superstructure.

He was always concerned about that and he also could not see 100% around the boat when he was steering from the aft.

It was an inboard......and there wasn't a hell of a lot of room on the back deck.

There was just me and the wife and him....I shudder to think if we had 4 people aboard plus the Cap.

With him sitting up top it was a little roly-poly.

Not a boat that I'd personally buy for serious fishing.......

I owned one for 4 years and enjoyed every minute on it (other than rebuilding the motor) It was an excellent boat for the inside for a family of 4 and we had it out offshore a couple of times, but Seafever has a very accurate description of them. They are nice and heavy for a 26' boat weighing in at about 6500 lbs. dry. The real issue is the lack of visibility for operating it from the stern. Either that, or the pilot is always out of the action on the command bridge. The deck space is adequate for three people, but 4 in the stern is crowded. If you plan on cruising its a great "poor man's Commander", and can be used quite adequately for fishing, even offshore for 80% of the time. But as a full time fishing machine it rates a 6.

Good info here thanks
Have seen a couple for sale , and they seem lower priced than others in this size ? Anything else to watch for ?

My dad had one for 10 years, we fished otta secret cove or tied it to the Esso barge for winters. didn't see much as far as rough water but 3'-4' chop sucked. Over that not bad, not the best. 23' double eagle would pass us standing still. Probably because it was underpowered with the single screw.
Loved the boat and caught many memories with her. Tyee1

Back