WTF !!!! Prawn Boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of these will slow the idiot down, hell you might even pick up a few fish at the same time LOL.

[s-elHbdBIug] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-elHbdBIug&feature=player_detailpage

Yup, just wave and say, "y'all come back now". Then when he is at the right range let him have it!

On a funnier note a bunch of years back we were out for a float off conny back spied a nice looking bucket complete with lid being a picker of quality floatsam I made a b-line for it.
The crew looked a little weary about it but I insisted on snagging it, they let the capt. uncork it WTF it contained the most foulest smelling substance known to man!
It was an unusally hot spring & the Prawn Pricks were working it hard I guess one of them had a sense of humor.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the prick with the catamaran in Prince Rupert.
http://www.adventuretours.net/
Last year while I was playing a fish at the mouth of Work Channel he came up from behind me and then cut 90° right in front of me.

That is the idiot! I was entering the Metlakatla no wake zone and he was boring through there at about 15kts completely on my side of the channel and forced me to make an evasive manouver over to the left side of the channel, if I had an RPG I would have let him have a shot through the hull at water line.

Coincidentally, after reading this thread yesterday morning, we were fishing halibut south of D'Arcy when I saw a prawn boat heading in our general direction from about a mile out. I told the story of Justin Time III's antics while I wondered to myself why this one was heading directly toward us when we were the only boat still out there. Surprize! As he got closer I was able to make out what was left of the name on the port bow: Justin Time III. He passed within about 100' of us, 50' from our Scotchman. He wasn't going very fast, so wasn't putting out much of a wake, and our boat is 36' so it didn't really affect us, but surely he could have given us a wider berth with the whole of Haro Straight at his disposal.

When we came into Tsehum Harbour he was tied up alongside the Fisherman's dock, unloading his catch. We passed within 50' of the crew and there were no "commies" on board, all caucasion, so maybe Nanoose Bay Fishing Co put a new crew on the boat.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
prawn fishing

Hello all,

I have a few things to say regarding this topic;

First of all, I would like to say that we should be careful who we start talking about when we don't know the person in question or what that person is up against on a daily basis. I know the Justin Tme quite well as my Wife, Brother-in law and father in law have operated this boat for years and have now passed over the reins to another man I know (hell of a guy). I personally have fished in this fishery for 7 years in the area of question, so I know this fishery quite well. I understand that you guys may be upset at how close this boat is coming, but standby and I will lay out the fishery for you so you can see what they are up against;

No qouta fishery
Hours of operation 7 am to 7 pm
Season varies from 50 to 70 days consecutive
Boats run 500 traps or 300
A crappy boat and licence can cost min 900 K
Annual licence fees (50K)
Min 3 fishermen per boat
50 traps pers string of gear with min 200 lbs anchor weight per end
Time lost in a day leads to loss of wages
Consistently dealing with tides/sportfishermen anchored in prawn areas and to prawn gear
Money lost due to lost gear can be in excess of tens of thousands

The reason why these guys come screaming up to you is because if they putt-around they will not get all their gear pulled in a day. Quite frankly, these operators don't want to deal with sportfisherman... it costs them to much money due to wasted time. I know you guys may feel threatened when they come ripping over but they are just doing their job in the time they are given. These operators are incredible at operating vessels because they do it everyday and for months and months at a time.

So, in conclusion lets all please give these guys a bit of a break... they know what they are doing and they don't want to cause anymore hassle in a day than what they already have to deal with. And, please don't post like you are going to start messing with their gear. These people work in one of the toughest industries in the world and they are trying to make a buck to feed their families. On the flip-side we choose to do this as a hobby.

Millertime: talked to a buddy last night the same **** show (Justin Time 3) last year they dropped a couple of prawn traps & the same guy did donuts around them then drops his commy string right on top of his sinking the works poof gone 250 bucks.
WTF someone needs to teach this Moroon a lesson.
A few idiot commies give the rest a bad name.

Had the very same thing happen to me last weekend. Not Just In Time - this time. I am not stating the operators boat name or any details, as he will be dealt with in the proper fashion the next time we meet. We came up on the location that we have been placing our traps for the last little while and he was fishing there, so because we don't OWN the spots, we moved on about 2 miles away and found a new spot where no one was fishing, came back to check traps and they were gone, however his trap buoy was exactly on the way-point where our buoy WAS.

Sorry but after I read your post rudysteelhead it sounds like you are saying " the reason we act like idiots on the water and break laws of the sea and put others in danger is that we have to do this due to lack of time in a day " . While I undetrstand what commercials are up against , I find the excuses like saying to a cop on the road "I had to speed, cut people off and weave through traffic officer cause I had to get to work on time" .

IMHO ...If they can't do the job safely and legally and be still be effective then they shouldn't be doing that work.

I appreciate your reply peahead, and point taken. As noted in my post, I mentioned that these guys are professional and they do in fact know what they are doing on a daily basis. They know their boat better than we know our daily driver car or sportboat. Also, as far as speeding and weaving in and out like you mentioned, that particular boat does 7 knots full-out! So, speeding at 7 knots!!! I'm not sure about that one. Take my post however you like, but calling them idiots and lawbreakers for approaching you on anchor I find is a little much. As far as I know, there is no rule about approaching someone on anchor at 7 kts (if they are at full speed). Merci

I tell you one thing, if I acted recklessly or if I disrespected people who made my work a little more challenging I would be out of a job right fast. If this is their profession, then they should act professionally. At the least, turn the radio on and hail the sporties, let them know you see them and you won't mess with their business.

And under the Collision Regulations, a boat under power is required to keep clear of vessels with restricted maneuverability (eg. anchored). So zooming up at full throttle is a no-no, and very unprofessional, even is you are a prawn fisherman, and even if you are a really swell guy.

Hello all,

I have a few things to say regarding this topic;

First of all, I would like to say that we should be careful who we start talking about when we don't know the person...............
I'm glad you know these clowns cause I reported it as a Dangerous Incident to the Coast Guard.
The RCMP told me I should have called them right away and they would have sent the Marine Unit out to check them for drugs or alcohol.
Never had any trouble like that before.
Next time the first call will be to the RCMP and I'll take videos as proof.:mad:

Rudysteelhead: certainly everyone understands that commercial fishermen and tour operators are just doing their job, but they still need to obey the rules of the road and operate their vessels in a safe, reasonable manner. Should bus, taxi and truck drivers throw out the rules and drive around on our roads with no regard to common sense and public safety, because they are "just doing their job"? Like the roads, the oceans are publicly used and everyone should operate their vessels with some regard for other users.

Not only shows a complete lack of common-sense, it's also downright disrespectful and for that reason alone they should be kicked, punched, shot, kilt, rammed, sunk, salvaged, revived and then have the whole process repeated all over again...

Points taken! I still standby my original postings about speed and manueverability of the prawn boat in question. What I do appreciate is that Millertime did what he should have and reported it to the coast guard if he fealt threatened. Good on you for that. What I don't particularily like is that the fact that we don't know the situation that millertime was in... we weren't there and we form an opinion based on that alone. But what I do find interestesting is that Millertime stated that ..."I can clearly see the guy at the wheel", so to call this disrespectful and dissobeying the rules of the road, I find a little far fetched. I know what it is like to be stuck on anchor and have someone approach like that.... similar to when a sport boat you know whips in to see how you are doing!!!
So for people to say that these people on board should be "kicked, punched, shot, kilt, rammed, sunk, salvaged, revived" I think boarders on offside. Like I had said, peoples familiy members work on these boats and they don't deserve to be threatened and slandered in that way.

Out doing Hali with a buddy at my fav rock pile in Haro Strait today.
Thru the hook out in 120 ft of water and payed out 600 ft of line so were fishing in 180 ft.
Wind died right off and we're siting pretty when my bud says that prawn boat is coming straight at us.
I stood up and looked over and sure enough he's coming right at us couple hundred ft away.
I grabbed the binos got the name called him on ch 16 and asked what he was playing at twice.
No reply.
Now he's veering off and crosses our bow and Scotchman not 50 ft away.
I can clearly see the guy at the wheel and another sticks his head out from the back like he's hiding.
By my calcs our anchor line was only 10 ft below the water when he crossed it.
I don't know what the draft is on a 50 ft steel prawn boat but both my buddy and I were holding on to the rails as he went over our line.

Will be watching for the fuc*er at fisherman's wharf and a bud at Trotac will call if he shows up there.
That guy need sto make a liveing by prawn fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back