Port Renfrew Reports -- Spring and Summer 2011

nice fish

Been back for a bit after a great Renfrew trip. Lots of fish....and one fairly large fellah 51 from around Camper.

Attachments

• DSCN0490.jpg
    DSCN0490.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN0499.jpg
    DSCN0499.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCN0489.jpg
    DSCN0489.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 191
i have now been to port refrew fishing the regular shore fishing spots three times now this year and have done very well,,renfrew fishing is very good,,and a ton of crab in the bay,,but at least once on every visit to renfrew my crab traps have been raided of the crab,,who every is doing this just leaves them open and doesn't close them back up again,,which means that we do not even limit out for our crab,this is really pissing me off,,us fisherman spend a ton of money on our equipment just to have the odd idiot come along to do things like this,,does anyone have any comment on this issue?does anyone have a solution on how we can avoid this from happening,,any tricks to pass along ,,

Well, back before there was a thriving sportfishery at Renfrew a surfer acquaintance of mine was a commercial crabber there and he had a problem with thieves too............but not for long.

He made an obvious set of traps one day then hid in the bush nearby and watched.
Sure enough a boat with a couple of guys ventured over and started pulling his traps.

A couple of 30-06 rounds over their heads and into the water near their boat sent them on their way, never to return.

Not that I'm recommending that today of course.

Things were different back then.

Take care.

crab theft

thank you for the comments on my crabing theft,,but i will probablly not do the shooting over their heads,,but that would work great,,the hooks on the line i'ver heard of and may have to come down to that,,thanks dave h and holmes

An old salt friend of mine used to find a solid piece of driftwood and screw an o-ring into the underside of it to attach his line to. Not legal but effective.;) eman

I'm heading up on Saturday for a week. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a sockeye opening! :)

Yeah, we all get pissed when we return to our traps, only to find someone has already been there! But to read some of the suggestions posted here...really!! Shooting at a boat load of people? Hooks in the line!? Are any of us any better than these poaching low lifes if we lower ourselves to these standards? I have had my traps raided many times over the years, more times this year than ever before,and there have been a few choice words muttered from my mouth about these poaching low lifes mothers, but I have accepted it as just part of todays culture, just as I have accepted poor drivers and the idiots who decide to troll north-south when every one else is trolling east-west! Let it go! What I do now is tell all my buddies what my float looks like, and where I set it, and when I come back into the bay, I have a quick look around to where thier traps are and see if there is any hanky panky going on! It is a small step, but if we all stick together and check on each others gear, we will catch these low lifes, one day. Then, karma will decend upon them when they return to the marina and come face to face with some pissed off Port Renfrew Sportsmen!!
Cheers fellas!

i have now been to port refrew fishing the regular shore fishing spots three times now this year and have done very well,,renfrew fishing is very good,,and a ton of crab in the bay,,but at least once on every visit to renfrew my crab traps have been raided of the crab,,who every is doing this just leaves them open and doesn't close them back up again,,which means that we do not even limit out for our crab,this is really pissing me off,,us fisherman spend a ton of money on our equipment just to have the odd idiot come along to do things like this,,does anyone have any comment on this issue?does anyone have a solution on how we can avoid this from happening,,any tricks to pass along ,,

I had someone leave me an empty beer can in my trap once. Guess I was better off because at least I got ten cents. I have the same problem with prawn traps. I dont think there is a word that sums up what these people do. Annoying psychopathic behaviour.

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0694-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Sockeye retention in Southern B.C. Waters

The current status of the Fraser River sockeye salmon returns provides for
sockeye salmon retention opportunities for recreational fisheries in most
Southern B.C. marine waters as noted below:

Effective 00:01 hours Wednesday, August 10 until further notice, in the
following areas, the daily limit for sockeye by recreational fishing is two (2)
per day:

- Area 12 - Subareas 12-1 to 12-4 and Area 13(Johnstone Strait);
- Areas 14, 15, 17, 18 and 19 (Strait of Georgia);
- Area 20 (Juan de Fuca Strait);
- Areas 21, 121 and 123 to 127 (West Coast of Vancouver Island). Note: Area 23
(Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet) is open to retention of Somass sockeye (refer
to FN0447);
- Area 28 (Howe Sound, Burrard Inlet and Indian Arm);
- Area 29 (Subareas 29-1 to 29-5).
Note: Opportunities in the remainder of Area 29 including the tidal portions of
the Fraser River will be announced by a separate fishery notice.

Sockeye retention is not permitted in the following areas:

- Area 16 – remains closed to sockeye retention in order to protect Sakinaw
Lake sockeye. It is anticipated that Subareas 16-19 to 21 (Sabine Channel)
could open to sockeye retention in early August and will be confirmed by
fishery notice;
- In Nitinat Lake (Area 22).
- In Subarea 29-8 (Boundary Bay);

Notes:
Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia. This includes all species of fish in the Fraser
River.

Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish are
hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase the
numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Rockfish Conservation Areas that are currently in effect and are closed to all
fin fishing. Descriptions of these closures, and other recreational fishing
information, can be found on the Internet at:

www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1(866)431-FISH.

Variation Order No. 2011-382

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact the local DFO office in your area for updated information as it becomes
available.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0694
Sent August 9, 2011 at 13:18
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Hey highlights,
Was up there on Monday out on a buddies new rig. Was slow on beach for springs, hit the bank and got 5 out there after short time but nothing big. Stopped for Hali on way in and got limit within few hrs all 35-55 lbs. Stopped at east point for our last spring in the aft and got one and headed in. Def a little slower on the bank for us Monday. Headed up thurs morn and staying till fri night. Let me know if you go

Thanks dude

I figured it may be a little slower than it was. Damn........ It was hot.

I am hitting Sooke Friday morning and then heading up to Refrew saturday after noon and will stay on the water until Late Sunday after noon. Guy I am going with has some obligations with his kids Saturday morning so needs to be around home.

I'll give you a shout and see how you did if you dont mind.

HL

Back