Sidney Report

Was out there last weekend crabbing and having a bbq with the wife and kids in the channel... no fishing for us but about 6 or so boats in front of the powder warf tackin along. Lots of bait on the sounder with a few fish showing at the bottom. I would be on the squirts or small chovies hugging the sand if I were you. good luck!

Powder Wharf and Hamley Point

Last weekend we got about a 12 lb chinook just south of the point by powder wharf. 85ft contour line passing through a cloud of needlefish at sunrise. Green flasher, green glow teaser and chovie. Saw tonnes of bait and salmon on the finder at Hamley, but no bites there.

Wanted to fish Oak Bay Flats or waterfront yesterday, but too windy. Headed out late, missed any early bite, but figured we'd get something on the tide change at Hamley Point on Sidney Island. Got there around 10 and fished until 2, but no salmon in the net. There was more bait and salmon on the sounder than I have ever seen though. Lots of bait balls along the wall at 95, blankets of bait in 100-150ft, and very thick near the tide rips. 4 boats trolling, one jigging, but did not see any salmon netted.

I recommend if you want some salmon, hit Hamley hard at sunrise.

Just wondering if anyone has tried around Mandarte and Miners channel for halis? I will be visiting Pender in two weeks and would like to find a spot were i could catch a couple of chickens without making the run all the way to D'arcy... Cheers

Heading out on Thursday to try my luck, thinking about making a trip over to Pender Bluffs to see if there is any action.

Anyone been out that way recently?

Cheers,

After seeing how thick the fish were down at Hamley Pt etc, decided a dawn run was required today. Fished 5am to 11 today.

It was the dead zone out there. I have never seen so little bait or salmon anywhere. Ever.

Hamley= very few scattered salmon/dogfish, no baitfish to be seen. Darcy Shoals= dead zone, nothing showing, no bites.South side of James Island channel=dead zone, nothing at all showing. Powder wharf/point a few tiny bait schools and one undersize chinook about 3lbs on a 3.5 green/glow coyote & green flasher, big hit off a white glow hootchie behind an army truck flasher, but lost it. No other bites, couldn't find bait again or any salmon on the finder. Went north around James and fished the point off island view by the reserve. No fish, no bait, no bites.

RS Craven says same kinda dead zone off Oak Bay today.

I guess we must wait for the next wave from Sooke/Renfrew.

Heard there is a decent amount of sox's and humpys out there. If it's anything like Sooke then take lots of bait!

Heard there is a decent amount of sox's and humpys out there. If it's anything like Sooke then take lots of bait!

Nice one atleast that makes me feel better about venturing to pender tomorrow, apparently Wain Rock is hot at the moment for anyone heading towards the inlet.

Cheers!

Excellent day at Pender Bluffs, sunshine and no wind. Lots of boats out in the a.m. we managed a 15lb spring, 2 sockeye and 8 pinks, that lot kept us busy for most of the day! Had another spring on but bit through the leader. Got the spring on Purple Haze flasher and bloody nose teaser. Hopefully it gets a bit thicker with Sockeye over the weekend, heading back out on Sunday with any luck.

The spring was a bit on the mushy side once fillet it, anyone else get these from time to time?

seen coho yet?

anyone seen coho yet?
Had lots of fun in previous years casting to visible schools of coho around Sidney island. I;m wondering if they are around again

Sidney need a refresher. Was out there yesterday May 16th at Coal for 4 hours and got some nibbles and a black rockfish AKA Sea Bass but no other bites. I did load up on Prawns over by Whiskey....bring on the high cholesterol.

did a quick fish after work on thurs pm.coal island produced a fiesty 14lber within 10 min of droppin gear.another pin popper a short time later but no dice.bait was showing within 10ft of bottom almost everywhere chovies/bloody noose

Fished Fairfax this morning 6am right at the tide change, got a 12lber in the first 15min, then another one on shortly after but it came off, chewed through the leader. Then it went quiet, saw one more salmon picked up around 9am. A few boats out at Coal but didn't see any action.

Cheers

Back