2018 Nanaimo Reports

Was out before Christmas fishing Hudson rock area did very well lots of fish around. Jan hasn't been so good to me, so far every time I've gone out this year haven't been able to find the fish off the fingers. Hear it's been better off thrasher just haven't made my way out there yet

I hope you make it out to Thrasher and get hooked up. Cheers

Does anyone have any recent reports on Thasher? I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. I did well down off Tent Island for winter's on Tuesday but want to drop the prawn traps and that area is now closed. Can anyone give me some prawning tips for the Flat Tops? I'll take some traps with me and try some decent looking contours but I'd love some advice. Please PM if you prefer.

Thanks,
Brian

Made it out to Thrasher today. It was a little bumpy but we put in a shift and were rewarded with a barely legal 63cm and released one that was a little smaller (probably mid to high 50's). Only about a 100 prawns in the traps but it wasn't our best effort on that front. I'd certainly like to give it another go. Both fish hit on Skinny G's 140' on the rigger in about 160' of water.

Any reports? Planning to go Saturday. Wondering if it’s worth fishing around fingers or if it would be better further south?

What a spectacular day on the water today. Fished the usual suspects, entrance, snake, fingers, neck point...2 shakers and a 65cm that we happily released. Also had a pin popper that swatted a plug. Saw lots of marks and bait.

IMG_1191.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    378.4 KB · Views: 185
Was out on the water to do some prawning, and after setting the traps, thought I might as well wet a line. I had my book and didn’t really expect much.
I kept catching one shaker after the next until I went down to 200’ with a little 31/2” spoon and presto a 13 lb spring with two (2) 10” herring inside. It was a male hatchery fish and very red and fit into my freezer just fine. Also got a couple hundred prawns, so it was a very successful afternoon. Looking forward to the April runs. Happy trails!

Got out yesterday for the first time this year with the wife. Wind picked up as soon as we dropped the lines but laid down long enough for us to bonk 3. Nice to kick off the season with this 15lb red hatch. Spoons were the ticket down deep. Tried the usual spots off the fingers but no luck, worked the inside for all our hits.

Attachments

• IMG_1805.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG
    249.8 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1807.JPG
    IMG_1807.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 248
Managed to get out Saturday from 8 to 1 on our new to us 2470 pursuit. Very impressed with the handling of the boat as it easily cruised through 1.5 metre seas and 25 knot winds. As for the fishing it was slow, all we managed was an undersized coho. Quite a few boats out in the morning but saw no nets out. Wind picked up in the afternoon which was actually great for testing the new boat out.
20180320_185509_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20180330_081900_resized.jpg
    20180330_081900_resized.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 101
Thanks Brian, it' been quite the upgrade so far from our Malibu 185. Harder to dock forssure haha but will be a much better boat for consistently going offshore.
Beauty boat, one thing I find is the hull is very sensitive to trim adjustment with the tabs, I use them all the time. Let me know if you want to check out the setup for the kicker.

Anyone been out recently? Going to give it a go tomorrow. Weather looks horrible so may be stuck fishing somewhere we can get out of the wind.

Got out a couple times this week. Saturday morning we fished the spoil grounds, lots of fish but all were too small... today we went out after work for the calm before the storm! It was beauty out there tonight, almost glassy. After picking up a few under I boated this line screamer! Thought it was a fish in the mid twenty’s the way it fought but weighed in at 18 lbs. I was just glad I finally got to get some blood on the new cutting board!

Picked the fish up by the double humps off neck point on a green glow flasher and cop car spoon. All action was between 110 and 150’

4C580365-E283-4395-B68D-CB0CC1E0A5CF.jpeg B2D10478-F426-45AB-88AD-6AD25E3864F1.jpeg A6BDC69E-57C8-4E89-9DC1-D706B247E836.jpeg

Back