Halibut opening

We did it once before. Takes a lot of dedicated people to join organizations that represent your interests, and support them in crafting a well developed strategy. Joining and getting involved to help is the only way things will change, sitting back won't.

I personally comit to $500 donation once we know where to direct funds to. I will gladly back that up with a receipt and post it. I'm doing this for ALL Canadians to be able accsess this precious resource & of corse the next generation which we owe it to.

I challenge every member on this forum to commit what ever they can afford to do. Every penny counts.

Once we have some funds committed then it will be easier to get the ball rolling. We all are committed to this and it's time to set a starting line.

I have spoken to the CEO of Westcoast Resorts and he is passionate about killing the leasing of Quota. I will see if I can get ahold of him and ask his advice on where to start. Hopefully even get them on board and make an Allie.

For this to work the "me" mentality has to stop. We need everyone rec anglers, guides, Lodges, and even "residents" like @terrin

If you don't have anything constructive then keep it to your selves.

Last edited:
Im not a big Halibut fisherman boys nor do I understand this fishery as many of you that are out there do so I can't really make any calls one way or the other but one thing I can add is,, just remain united as sports users this means charter boys and weekend fishermen alike don't get divided over it. Divided they will tear the sport user apart and leave the scraps to fight over.

I personally comit to $500 donation once we know where to direct funds to. I will gladly back that up with a receipt and post it. I'm doing this for ALL Canadians to be able accsess this precious resource & of corse the next generation which we owe it to.

I challenge every member on this forum to commit what ever they can afford to do. Every penny counts.

Once we have some funds committed then it will be easier to get the ball rolling. We all are committed to this and it's time to set a starting line.

I have spoken to the CEO of Westcoast Resorts and he is passionate about killing the leasing of Quota. I will see if I can get ahold of him and ask his advice on where to start. Hopefully even get them on board and make an Allie.

For this to work the "me" mentality has to stop. We need everyone rec anglers, guides, Lodges, and even "residents" like @terrin

If you don't have anything constructive then keep it to your selves.

Right on! I already said that I would hand in a fat cheque once there is a targeted movement forming. Get involved and break out your wallet or watch saltwater fishing on TV shows from the past soon!

Im not a big Halibut fisherman boys nor do I understand this fishery as many of you that are out there do so I can't really make any calls one way or the other but one thing I can add is,, just remain united as sports users this means charter boys and weekend fishermen alike don't get divided over it. Divided they will tear the sport user apart and leave the scraps to fight over.

You correct all the sport fishing group must stay united.

Whether you fish Halibut or not realize this is your resource also. This is common property resource for all Canadians. If you have time please express you your concerns to the Leblanc

You correct all the sport fishing group must stay united.

Whether you fish Halibut or not realize this is your resource also. This is common property resource for all Canadians. If you have time please express you your concerns to the Leblanc

OK then tell me this,, on what united front would I be pushing for because reading on here there are 20 different opinions and 20 different issues we are facing. First and foremost there has to be a clear goal as to what is needed and or wanted. What are the clear issues, what is it we as sports users want to happen. ( other than more fish for me, me ,me ) Can that please be laid out here in clear transparent format.

This also goes for those attending these meetings make sure the agenda is clear and united, you can't go into a meeting with 100 people and have 5 different goals and start arguing at the meetings you will look like fools. The policy makers will sit back and rub their greedy little hands and laugh at the chaos.

Sorry this annoys you even a simple link to a clear discussion and a clear mandate would have been nice. If I'm going to write someone a letter I would like it to be clear.

Carry on, I'm out.

OK then tell me this,, on what united front would I be pushing for because reading on here there are 20 different opinions and 20 different issues we are facing. First and foremost there has to be a clear goal as to what is needed and or wanted. What are the clear issues, what is it we as sports users want to happen. ( other than more fish for me, me ,me ) Can that please be laid out here in clear transparent format.

This also goes for those attending these meetings make sure the agenda is clear and united, you can't go into a meeting with 100 people and have 5 different goals and start arguing at the meetings you will look like fools. The policy makers will sit back and rub their greedy little hands and laugh at the chaos.
I applaud your intentions and agree that we need to be focused in one direction and not fragmented.

I would like to see what a meeting with 100 sport fishermen would look like

“I would like to see what a meeting with 100 sport fishermen would look like “
Isn’t that called a Unicorn.
There should be only be one single message sent Allocation,Allocation,Allocation. Will solve all our problems.

Sorry this annoys you even a simple link to a clear discussion and a clear mandate would have been nice. If I'm going to write someone a letter I would like it to be clear.

Carry on, I'm out.

No I am just sick of all the hacks on the current guys representing us that's all. Your comments seem to heading there again, and maybe I jumped on you too soon. It is just frustrating because there are all great ideas but I would like to see people do something. I am waiting for someone to make this group I keep hearing about.

Fishtofino above said it best: "I would like to see what a meeting with 100 sport fishermen would look like"

I think a meeting with 100 sport fishermen would not be productive.

Can't see anybody being against getting a better share of the IPHC area 2B TAC for sport fishers. In WA we get close to 50% of TAC.

Beyond that I would see agreement dropping rapidly. FYI I am a US angler. I would be all for a 1/1 limit, but can see where the lodges & perhaps some guides may be against this. Most lodges like to advertise how many boxes of fish you will be bringing home due to the 8 Salmon, 6 Ling Cod, 2 Halibut 6-8 Rockfish you can catch.

FYI, we will have an 11 day season on WA, although the Near Bay area will probably reach quota before that.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/halibut/

Here is some interesting data about catch statistics in WA:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/halibut/halibut_tag_discussion.pdf

Friend of mine fishes Near Bay a few times per year; says they fish 400ft & get mainly 20#'s; those that fish 600ft get larger fish.

My first Halibut trip was outta Near Bay in 1986 - we fished very close to the CDN Swiftsure closure area in 350 ft of water. I caught 8 that day keeping a 65 & a 35. Didn't see another boat out there all day long. The Halibut are getting fewer & smaller; used to always catch some trolling for Salmon 25 - 40lb at 150 - 180 ft on the Ucluelet/Tofino banks.

Don't know the numbers on catch statistics but back then sport fishers didn't care about Halibut, which is probably why the commercials get most of the TAC - they got more "skin in the game" which I believe is a valid point.

Ericl you hit the one about bringing home limits. Talked to a friend who guides in Renfrew and said you mustn't be happy about the new size slots, should have been just 1/1 and a bigger fish. He says no he wanted to be able to have the 2 even though he would not chase the second runt, said that way he can tell everyone who calls that they are allowed 2 possession....WTF. Said he would not mention to them about how small the second fish was just wanted the bookings :(

Sound like a guide who hasn't figured out yet that the hardest booking is the 1st one...if you treat the customer fairly and show them a good time the next bookings with that customer are easy. The last part of the equation is that once they find a reason to move on they never come back.

I think a meeting with 100 sport fishermen would not be productive.

Can't see anybody being against getting a better share of the IPHC area 2B TAC for sport fishers. In WA we get close to 50% of TAC.

Beyond that I would see agreement dropping rapidly. FYI I am a US angler. I would be all for a 1/1 limit, but can see where the lodges & perhaps some guides may be against this. Most lodges like to advertise how many boxes of fish you will be bringing home due to the 8 Salmon, 6 Ling Cod, 2 Halibut 6-8 Rockfish you can catch.

FYI, we will have an 11 day season on WA, although the Near Bay area will probably reach quota before that.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/halibut/

Here is some interesting data about catch statistics in WA:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/halibut/halibut_tag_discussion.pdf

Friend of mine fishes Near Bay a few times per year; says they fish 400ft & get mainly 20#'s; those that fish 600ft get larger fish.

My first Halibut trip was outta Near Bay in 1986 - we fished very close to the CDN Swiftsure closure area in 350 ft of water. I caught 8 that day keeping a 65 & a 35. Didn't see another boat out there all day long. The Halibut are getting fewer & smaller; used to always catch some trolling for Salmon 25 - 40lb at 150 - 180 ft on the Ucluelet/Tofino banks.

Don't know the numbers on catch statistics but back then sport fishers didn't care about Halibut, which is probably why the commercials get most of the TAC - they got more "skin in the game" which I believe is a valid point.
Still happens Eric.

Trolled up 5 Halibut 29-45 lbs one morning last June between our tub of Chinooks

Ericl you hit the one about bringing home limits. Talked to a friend who guides in Renfrew and said you mustn't be happy about the new size slots, should have been just 1/1 and a bigger fish. He says no he wanted to be able to have the 2 even though he would not chase the second runt, said that way he can tell everyone who calls that they are allowed 2 possession....WTF. Said he would not mention to them about how small the second fish was just wanted the bookings :(
Like Rollie said, he isn’t in it for the long haul

Treat people fair and they tell others. Treat people badly they tell everyone.

No I am just sick of all the hacks on the current guys representing us that's all. Your comments seem to heading there again, and maybe I jumped on you too soon. It is just frustrating because there are all great ideas but I would like to see people do something. I am waiting for someone to make this group I keep hearing about.

Fishtofino above said it best: "I would like to see what a meeting with 100 sport fishermen would look like"

OK got you spring, Im sorry as well got pretty defensive to soon.

I would love to see some group as well. ILHG mentioned he's sending in $500,, great but to whom and for what. I would have no issue supporting such a group either but I want to know where I'm sending it and what's the mandate.

Like Rollie said, he isn’t in it for the long haul
Been doing it for 15 years and is fully booked, personally i think it is pure ********, had a call when guiding a few years back and the client asks all the usual questions, i tell him straight up things have been slow, projection for the year is low, he books with me, tells me later i was the only one who didn't ******** him. On the flip side we had a great trip :)

Back