Tomic Plug Hooks

Waterwolf2230

Attachments

• Inline Hooks.JPG
    Inline Hooks.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 78
I believe the Mustad 95170 is the standard.
I don't know if that VMC would cause more rash and dull the fine point quickly. Maybe you could bend it in more. Remember the hook runs with the point toward the plug.
Years ago, I seem to remember Ironnoggin posting an image of a hook so big the gap would swim beyond the tail. Probably better suited to commercial trolling, maybe he can answer that.

Attachments

• 95170.jpg
    95170.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 85
  • tomic.jpg
    tomic.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 100
I go with Gamakatsu big river bait open eye in 6/0 or Owner stinger siwash open eye in 5/0 for all my 6" plugs.

I find the hooks they come with a little too big for my liking...I usually order my plugs direct from Tomic and buy them without hooks.

Tomic has gone with VMC Siwash because the Mustad's are breaking at the eye. All I use is Mustad 95170's; never had one break. realize that Tomic's are used by commercial fishing, which is much more stressful on hooks. I always use a vise to close the eye of the hook being very careful to not allow the end of the eye to touch the shaft when crimping. I like the Owner's as well but they don't come in large sizes.

Tomic has gone with VMC Siwash because the Mustad's are breaking at the eye. All I use is Mustad 95170's; never had one break. realize that Tomic's are used by commercial fishing, which is much more stressful on hooks. I always use a vise to close the eye of the hook being very careful to not allow the end of the eye to touch the shaft when crimping. I like the Owner's as well but they don't come in large sizes.

Not big enough?

https://www.ownerhooks.com/product/siwash/

Do you guys usually go one size larger than the size of the plug? 7/0 for 6" plugs etc?

Not always. I will often try to gauge the size of the stock that I'm catching. This summer, there was a period where I was catching 6-8 lb springs as well as coho even on 6" tubby's. In these instances, I find the larger hook size can do some irreversible damage, especially to the eye of the fish. Nothing like releasing a 'wild' coho with a ruined eye from a larger lure. :(

Has anyone tried moving the hook further back behind the tail by splicing in a split ring and another swivel, or another method ?

Has anyone tried moving the hook further back behind the tail by splicing in a split ring and another swivel, or another method ?

I caught at least 8tomic 50.jpg fish on this one back in the pilchard days. I didn't have a big hook so I put a big split ring to push it back a bit. I'd probably try to beak the hook now too.

For size I use the size that Tomic recommends. It might be that a lighter hook (either smaller size or an Owner versus Mustard) may give the proper action at a lower speed; something useful if you want to run a slower bait/lure on the other side. A video by Charlie White shows Chinook trying to bite the hook not the lure; they were nibbling at it.

Nice Pilchard job tubber!! - looking forward to more pilchard days!!

I cut the pin out and run a 6 ball bead chain small eye... works great for me..i can drop down to a 5/0 95170 siwash now and it cuts back the mort's.... man wish the pilchards wee back again...some pretty sweet fish when they are here....
20180212_171636_resized.jpg 20180212_171900_resized.jpg

That is the killer lure when they are running.

I'm not sure what the final model number was on the plugs..when RVP & I start to develop these particular plugs they had 3 or 4 different numbers... . I can tell u they work very well.. :) I can dig it out it believe FM is probably correct ...:D

Back