2018 Sidney Reports

Woohoo first post. Got out for 3 hours of trolling on Thursday. Released a borderline legal and lost what was probably a 10+ pounder at Fairfax. Both on AP sandlance.

Just learning the winter game over here.
I have heard the red can/spit area can be good but haven't seen much bait and no bites the couple times I've tried there so far. Does this area fish better on a certain tide?

Last edited:
Anywhere in Sidney Channel can be good in the wintertime - from the tip of the spit to the powder wharf - just stick close to the bottom and watch out for commercial pots. The ebb tide really rips through the channel so avoid it on a strong ebb unless you plan on doing drifts with the current.

Fished Coal Island today and the Sidney channel. No keepers. Weather was pretty good later in the morning.

Trolled off the powder wharf yesterday - lots of small under size springs and one 12 pound spring about 20 ft off the bottom in 60 feet of water. Coho killers did all the work as usual.

Took advantage of the gorgeous Sunday with a few hours of afternoon fishing. First time out in three months! (was starting to get the shakes lol).

Caught three undersized between Tulista and the north tip of James Island en route to the Powder Wharf. All around 100ft deep, maybe close to the bottom (had 130ft of cable out at quite the blowback angle). But good fights for the size of fish.

Successful Gear:
Purple Haze Ace Hi-Fly behind Green Glow Hotspot
NAL161R Squirt (Glow/oil slick) behind 7" Peetz Flasher
AP Tackleworks Sandlance behind purple onion

Handful of undersized fish at Fairfax this morning. Saw 1 keeper landed and not much else!

Handful of undersized fish at Fairfax this morning. Saw 1 keeper landed and not much else!
Time to venture eastward. From now until early June, weather permitting. Or boat capable, is the time to fish the straight. Not saying you can't have good days or the odd good snap at any of our local spots. But consistency, and sizeable fish will be found there.

I tried around west and south James Island. Much of the same, I had a few unders, and I saw one at the dock that was ok. Beauty calm seas in the afternoon though!

Time to venture eastward. From now until early June, weather permitting. Or boat capable, is the time to fish the straight. Not saying you can't have good days or the odd good snap at any of our local spots. But consistency, and sizeable fish will be found there.
Are you talking north ? Ie straight of Georgia?

Bonked a couple today at Fairfax. 10 and 8 lbs, both caught on an AP sandlance!
Awesome are they lurking deep? I would guess so if feeding on sand lance?

Had some trouble getting fish to the boat this morning at Fairfax. First hit of the morning wasnt on for more than a couple seconds before it shook loose, 2nd hit lasted a little longer but lost it half way up, 3rd one we lost right at the boat (planned on releasing with gaff in hand anyways). Finally, on our 4th attempt, we got one in the net! Skinny 8lb hatchery fish, caught down deep on a coho killer. Released another undersized fish just as we were pulling the gear in.

Only a couple other boats out there, which I thought was strange for a calm day on a long weekend.

No kidding, it looked awesome out there from the highway. I’m hoping to get out for the afternoon even though the tides arent ideal. I have the shakes!
Thanks for the reports

Fished the powder warf and red can from 9 till noon today, there was a consistent bite all morning, but unfortunately they were all undersized. It was a bit cold, but great morning on the water.

Back