Trim tabs on smaller boats...worth the money?

Gham

Crew Member
Hey guys I’m in the middle of restoring a 17’ Hourston and I’ve been debating getting trim tabs for it. It will have a 140 Suzuki 4 stroke on the back and a 120 Liter bow tank for fuel. I have a 15’6” hourston I’ve been fishing out of for years and found when it gets choppy it always felt too light in the bow. Wondering if anyone has run a 17’ range boat with tabs and if it makes a noticeable difference in the chop.

You shouldn't need to use trim tabs for front to back trim - your motor trim should do that quite well. Trim tabs are best used to balance port/starboard issues.

IMHO they work great for pushing the nose down!! just not too much!!

Friend has them on an older 16(16.5'?) Campion Deep V with a 115 2 stroke Merc. Works really well for him.

Thanks for the input guys! I think I’ll start hunting for a decent priced set. Can’t wait to get this thing on the water and dialed in for the summer

Put tabs on my 94 hourston 172 because it was stern heavy and they made all the difference on that boat

I'd venture to say that with 120L fuel in your bow you don't need to worry about getting the nose down! Wow, maybe the opposite?

I'd venture to say that with 120L fuel in your bow you don't need to worry about getting the nose down! Wow, maybe the opposite?

Ya it will be interesting to see how it handles it. Hanging the motor next week and sea trial/break in on the weekend.

Small boats greatly benefit from being able to maintain planing at lower speeds. You can slow down for chop but not settle completely down at the stern and push water/guzzle gas. Trim tabs and leg hydrofoil both offer some benefits on this front.

You shouldn't need to use trim tabs for front to back trim - your motor trim should do that quite well. Trim tabs are best used to balance port/starboard issues.

not true for my boat. couldnt trim in far enough to stop porposing tabs solved the problem

On a bit bigger double eagle (20') the tabs are the difference between being able to stay on plane in 2' chop all the way across Georgia Strait like I did yesterday, and chugging across at 8 mph like I did before I fixed the tab pump. Burying the nose let me stay on plane down to 17mph and punch through waves instead of dropping off the crests.

I love the ability to tune the hull to the conditions, personally.

I wouldn’t get another boat without them. I put them on my 18 foot trophy worth every dollar, my fuel is in the stern so planing was an issue with 3/4 persons and even for ride comfort. You can balance your load so your not listing to one side

I wouldn’t get another boat without them. I put them on my 18 foot trophy worth every dollar, my fuel is in the stern so planing was an issue with 3/4 persons and even for ride comfort. You can balance your load so your not listing to one side

I have a 18 foot trophy as well and had a big problem getting on plane when having a full tank of gas and a couple of adults sitting in the stern seats. I put on nautulis trim tabs and know there's no problem getting on plane. The gas mileage is better as is the ride.

Back