Halibut opening

Depends on where you fish for halibut. South Island zero up north more common.

I personally stay away from the areas where the yellow eyes hang out when Anchoring fir halibut

How many Hali fisherman end up with yellow eye? Personally zero
Where are you fishing South Island? North island east or west. I have a pile of unreal halibut spots, probably some of the best on the island and where we get our halis there are always big snapper mixed in. Different area then you are fishing obviously

I was also in the room with Last Chance and the spread sheet that outlined the options they have of which there were many all require further restrictions. Start of season, size and limit options are the all on the table for discussion. When we left there was no consciences and the SFAB members there were obviously very aware that they had to stand up for their local areas wishes. They hoped to have a decision that day but it seemed like they conceded that wasn't likely to happen. They want to get it right. There are some very knowledgeable and dedicated people working on the best solution and as has been stated they don't have a single option that will please everyone. It isn't my first time having access to that kind of setting but being in there again did remind me of how lucky our sector is to be represented so well. Anyone who goes off on these guys with personal attacks after they make a final decision should have their fishing privileges taken away and take up another hobby. (my personal opinion)

It certainly seems the system is broke, but I don't blame the SFAB. I blame DFO and their political masters, none of whom probably read this site, so no sense complaining on here!

It certainly seems the system is broke, but I don't blame the SFAB. I blame DFO and their political masters, none of whom probably read this site, so no sense complaining on here!
I’m just curious how you think DFO is to blame?
They have been mandated the 85/15 split from up above
wow, speechless. Just going to be more mortality. What happens when that 60# halibut swallows the large treble down into it's stomach? We release it to die and look for another under? Just keeps getting better and better every year.
yep, just DFO forcing the "experimental halibut quota scheme. Sad thing is the rich tourist will have no problem getting his 100# halibut and joe canadian weekend warrior will have to put up with the crumbs. It's become the Canadian way...
Use circle hooks?

I was also in the room with Last Chance and the spread sheet that outlined the options they have of which there were many all require further restrictions. Start of season, size and limit options are the all on the table for discussion. When we left there was no consciences and the SFAB members there were obviously very aware that they had to stand up for their local areas wishes. They hoped to have a decision that day but it seemed like they conceded that wasn't likely to happen. They want to get it right. There are some very knowledgeable and dedicated people working on the best solution and as has been stated they don't have a single option that will please everyone. It isn't my first time having access to that kind of setting but being in there again did remind me of how lucky our sector is to be represented so well. Anyone who goes off on these guys with personal attacks after they make a final decision should have their fishing privileges taken away and take up another hobby. (my personal opinion)
I haven’t heard many threads of people that are happy with the choice or even talked to anyone that is happy with the 83 cm

Use circle hooks?
I don't know why they aren't mandatory for hali to be honest. but circle hooks can be swallowed just as easily. I've had to butcher more than a few hali's that have swallowed the hook down into their stomach's (or esophagus) to retrieve the hook. Sure, you could cut the leader and leave the hook in to release, but I doubt the fish is going to survive long with a hook in it's gut... or even in the gills.
Going to be a lot of released dead hali swimming (morts) with these new restrictions. Wouldn't surprise me if there will be just as many released that don't survive as there are those that are caught in the legal size. That sounds like a really good use of the resource... :/

Last edited:

Use circle hooks?
Did you miss the part where I said and their Political Masters? I believe DFO has to share blame though because it uses the SFAC and SFAB to insulate itself and the government from actual fishermen. DFO completely fails in its self prescribed mission statement regarding transparency! Where are the minutes of all these meetings it has with the SFAB, that's just one example! Does DFO comvey the rec anglers anger to their Minister or do they not want to appear to pick sides? I believe the latter! Don't make waves!

DFO has failed to take advantage of technology in order to increase its accuracy at predicting catch, relying on such things as fly overs and the odd actual officer on the water. Why are they not for example,requiring Halibut catch be reported on line? Like all government departments they can plead poverty in manpower and other resources, but that should be addressed by their Minister who, you guessed it is part of the Federal cabinet. I don't recall hearing much from any senior DFO officials or their Minister. Maybe DFO needs a reorganization to get more folks out of their offices and onto the water?

Did you miss the part where I said and their Political Masters? I believe DFO has to share blame though because it uses the SFAC and SFAB to insulate itself and the government from actual fishermen. DFO completely fails in its self prescribed mission statement regarding transparency! Where are the minutes of all these meetings it has with the SFAB, that's just one example! Does DFO comvey the rec anglers anger to their Minister or do they not want to appear to pick sides? I believe the latter! Don't make waves!

DFO has failed to take advantage of technology in order to increase its accuracy at predicting catch, relying on such things as fly overs and the odd actual officer on the water. Why are they not for example,requiring Halibut catch be reported on line? Like all government departments they can plead poverty in manpower and other resources, but that should be addressed by their Minister who, you guessed it is part of the Federal cabinet. I don't recall hearing much from any senior DFO officials or their Minister. Maybe DFO needs a reorganization to get more folks out of their offices and onto the water?

They have an online reporting system easy to use on the site where we buy our license. It's been there for years and I update it annually. In an ideal world, licensing online should have a forced popup screen prior to buying that we need to enter the info first (and tackle shops need to request info for store purchase). It's difficult with timing though - they need that data for the Jan/Feb meetings and how do you deal with it if 'changes' would be needed to the license in terms of allowable catch numbers etc

The other bigger problem is since many Joe Blow fisherman thinks they are just trying to take away our rights, what is the chances they would actually be honest? There would be too much deception IMH and people putting down 'none' as the answer.

I think there is no easy way besides manning a creel at every launch, every day. Just not feasible. Only thing that needs to be worked on for any hope is the 85/15 or try to seriously tackle the bycatch issues IMH

I think in all honesty that SFAC and the SFAB should probably just have thrown the ball back in the DFO's court and said this is unworkable with the 15/85 split and let the political Dogs loose. Right now my guess is halibut guides and lodges will find the proposed solution unworkable thereby forcing them into a position to have to buy quota. The SFAC and SFAB are put in the unenviable position of shielding DFO from any political fallout-if they refused to go along with DFO then DFO would have to take the heat. If recreational Halibut were shut-down and commercial were allowed to continue there would be huge political and monetary consequences. The monetary consequences to lodges and guides would be very noticeable to this province so much so that they may even get involved. Be that as it may I am afraid this is the road we are travelling-if not this year then in a few coming years. I don't ever think we have had an increased TAC and we won't as long as Alaskan by-catch is not addressed. I am not Slagging or denigrating the SFAB or SFAC but the fact remains that DFO is hiding behind them; if this keeps up we will be down to one under 83cm while the commercials roll merrily along

It is indeed a sad day for halibut anglers in BC, but it has nothing to do with the SFAB process. It worked the way it was supposed to - a democratic process with representation from the entire coast that offers recommendations based on a majority vote from all areas. It was obvious based on the fact that the group was unable to achieve consensus that there was no way we would be able to make everyone happy, but I assume that because about 70% of the votes were in favour of the 115/83 option that the majority of halibut anglers in BC were able to accept what is now the recommendation as the least painful of a bunch of painful options.

It became clear pretty fast that given what in fact represents an 18% reduction in our TAC, and most important about a 35% reduction from what we would have caught in 2017 at 133/83 had we fished until December, that in order to remain under our 2018 TAC it was going to require drastic cuts. Remember, 133\83 caused a shut down on Sept 6th. It wasn't even close to achieving a full season. The idea that a 1\1 at 133 or even 124 would reduce catch enough to deal with the current TAC is far from the truth.

There was a tremendous amount of debate regarding the comparative costs\benefits associated with 1/1 vs 1/2 and it was once again obvious that individual values differ amongst different regions and types of fishery. There wasn't even clear consensus amongst lodges or charters or individual anglers as representative fishery types. At the end of the day you're looking at a 2 fish possession with one at 43 lbs and one at 15 lbs. Something to note is that based on the numbers of halibut landed in BC every year, that both of these weights fall well within the range of capturing the average size of the vast majority of halibut retained.

By the time the final recommendation was debated and voted on yesterday, the combined analysis and discussion of the SFAB was exhaustive, focussed, representative and as well informed by data as it can be. Please don't confuse attempts to manage the recreational fishery as some kind of pure science that is totally driven by data. Attempts to predict catch based on different parameters are quantified using a catch prediction model, but part of the inputs to that tool are attempts to predict angler behavior which is all based on expert opinion, long term knowledge, and not data. Every year the model improves based on performance. To attempt to ensure that individual preferences and values are incorporated as accurately as possible into the analysis, every year the process seeks grass roots advice and knowledge to help us understand what key values and guiding principles anglers want us to represent in the fishery through our local SFAC groups. The result is a set of halibut regulations that pleases no one, but is grudgingly accepted by the majority. The root of the problem isn't with the SFAB process or the skill set at that table, it lies in the fact that the recreational fishery in BC has been arbitrarily assigned a TAC in a domestic catch sharing plan that doesn't allow the fishery to achieve its social and economic potential.

If you didn't get the exact plan that meets your business needs or preference of fishing location and style then that is unfortunate, but please don't waste your time and energy trying to blame anyone or take shots at what is admittedly the most popular of a suite of unpopular options. The time has come for all of you internet heros, and all of your fishing buddies\suppliers\clients to step up to the plate by using either your wallet or your time and experience, or preferably both to create and fund a focused effort to gain an allocation amount that actually reflects the value of that fishery to BC coastal communities and the rest of Canada.

CP

Last edited:
They have an online reporting system easy to use on the site where we buy our license. It's been there for years and I update it annually. In an ideal world, licensing online should have a forced popup screen prior to buying that we need to enter the info first (and tackle shops need to request info for store purchase). It's difficult with timing though - they need that data for the Jan/Feb meetings and how do you deal with it if 'changes' would be needed to the license in terms of allowable catch numbers etc

The other bigger problem is since many Joe Blow fisherman thinks they are just trying to take away our rights, what is the chances they would actually be honest? There would be too much deception IMH and people putting down 'none' as the answer.

I think there is no easy way besides manning a creel at every launch, every day. Just not feasible. Only thing that needs to be worked on for any hope is the 85/15 or try to seriously tackle the bycatch issues IMH
The people who are going to cheat on online reporting are the same ones cheating now. What possible benefit would it be to fill out you license and then lie about the same thing online? Do you honestly believe a voluntary participation system like you describe makes sense.? Does anyone really use it?Make it mandatory as part of license renewal by all means but don't use a voluntary system that only a few(kudos to you) actually use,as a reason to not develop a better system. Much like the Creel Survey, any online reporting needs to have the Voluntary part removed in order to work.

Will a new method be 100% of course not! Is the current system of flyovers and the odd patrol or Creel Survey 100% ?I'd say no.

Zero as well

While I had my biz in Renfrew, as the fleet moved up the south side of Swiftsure, you could always tell someone was working a new Hali hole by all of the Yellow Eye floating around. Big goldfish, 20 plus pounders in some cases. In shore along the whole strait of JDF, there are none, (With the odd small one around Carmanah and Bonilla), and now on the bank, there are none outside the closure as well. I did not see many past 2010. In my experience (Which I think is considerable), Yellow Eye and Hali like the same rock piles. Yellow eye are more aggressive, and get cleaned out first.

If you fish anywhere inshore, you won't see a lot of Yellow Eye. A buddy of mine caught two decent ones in 2013 by fluke when he swung on the anchor off the 330 ft drop straight east from 10 mile point. Only ones I have heard of in JDF recently (Or technicaly Haro).

It is indeed a sad day for halibut anglers in BC, but it has nothing to do with the SFAB process. It worked the way it was supposed to - a democratic process with representation from the entire coast that offers recommendations based on a majority vote from all areas. It was obvious based on the fact that the group was unable to achieve consensus that there was no way we would be able to make everyone happy, but I assume that because about 70% of the votes were in favour of the 115/83 option that the majority of halibut anglers in BC were able to accept what is now the recommendation as the least painful of a bunch of painful options.

It became clear pretty fast that given what in fact represents an 18% reduction in our TAC, and most important about a 35% reduction from what we would have caught in 2017 at 133/83 had we fished until December, that in order to remain under our 2018 TAC it was going to require drastic cuts. Remember, 133\83 caused a shut down on Sept 6th. It wasn't even close to achieving a full season. The idea that a 1\1 at 133 or even 124 would reduce catch enough to deal with the current TAC is far from the truth.

There was a tremendous amount of debate regarding the comparative costs\benefits associated with 1/1 vs 1/2 and it was once again obvious that individual values differ amongst different regions and types of fishery. There wasn't even clear consensus amongst lodges or charters or individual anglers as representative fishery types. At the end of the day you're looking at a 2 fish possession with one at 43 lbs and one at 15 lbs. Something to note is that based on the numbers of halibut landed in BC every year, that both of these weights fall well within the range of capturing the average size of the vast majority of halibut retained.

By the time the final recommendation was debated and voted on yesterday, the combined analysis and discussion of the SFAB was exhaustive, focussed, representative and as well informed by data as it can be. Please don't confuse attempts to manage the recreational fishery as some kind of pure science that is totally driven by data. Attempts to predict catch based on different parameters are quantified using a catch prediction model, but part of the inputs to that tool are attempts to predict angler behavior which is all based on expert opinion, long term knowledge, and not data. Every year the model improves based on performance. To attempt to ensure that individual preferences and values are incorporated as accurately as possible into the analysis, every year the process seeks grass roots advice and knowledge to help us understand what key values and guiding principles anglers want us to represent in the fishery through our local SFAC groups. The result is a set of halibut regulations that pleases no one, but is grudgingly accepted by the majority. The root of the problem isn't with the SFAB process or the skill set at that table, it lies in the fact that the recreational fishery in BC has been arbitrarily assigned a TAC in a domestic catch sharing plan that doesn't allow the fishery to achieve its social and economic potential.

If you didn't get the exact plan that meets your business needs or preference of fishing location and style then that is unfortunate, but please don't waste your time and energy trying to blame anyone or take shots at what is admittedly the most popular of a suite of unpopular options. The time has come for all of you internet heros, and all of your fishing buddies\suppliers\clients to step up to the plate by using either your wallet or your time and experience, or preferably both to create and fund a focused effort to gain an allocation amount that actually reflects the value of that fishery to BC coastal communities and the rest of Canada.

CP
I have been a member of SVIAC since it's inception. I go to all their meetings. I did not go to Nanaimo on Friday as I was working. What more should I be doing? Join wcwf? What do I join/fund that would help with this? I'm not bashing sfab nor have I ever but this is pretty frustrating.
-Darin

Guys, the first time we were faced with Hali closures, DFO was very clear that "No Season" was an option. The ol' "pout" technique of saying none of them are acceptable and come up with something else would result in exactly nothing. Just think about it for a minute.

No one does any more work then they have to. What would be easier to manage? Thousands of sport boats or a commercial fleet like the East Coast.

Fact is the coast has less then half of the halibut they traditionally work with. Fact is that over half of the halibut is caught by lodges/guides. It could become a commercial only species so fast your head would spin. I was at the fisheries meeting in 2008 I think ( Could be wrong on the year). Myself, reps from a few local tackle shops and a couple of guides were there. Our loca SFAB arranged the meeting at the last minute. We had 45 minutes. We pled our case.

The first thing that Fisheries Minister Gail Shea asked was would you guides like your own ITQ's?. That's right. ITQ's. She was prepared to divvy up another species on this coast among a select few 5 minutes into the meeting.

From a management standpoint, it is important that us recreational guys do everything we can to ensure a season, and throwing things back in DFO's face, IMHO is not the way to do it. Call ******** on the above statement if you want, I was there, Gord Martin of Foghorn Charters was there, Ward Bond of Island Outfitters was right there, it very well could have happened over coffee and a continental breakfast!

This is the answer to the lack of quota, as noted by CP.

It’s nothing new as has been said many times by many people.

Time to put up!

This is the answer to the lack of quota, as noted by CP.

It’s nothing new as has been said many times by many people.

Time to put up!

Again......where do I put my time/resources?

Back