Status
Not open for further replies.
"Checks" as you call them are not voluntary. Participation is required.
If they say "show me your PCOC", you have to produce it. If they say "Show me your Fire Extinguisher", you have to produce it. If they say "Show me your life jackets for all on board". You have to produce it.

Alcohol on board usually is not an issue if it closed and out of sight. However, if it's open, you better have cooking facilities and be tied to a dock. Just sayin'.
Alcohol on board is fine to my understanding, having had it explained to me by a police officer on the ocean you are actually aloud to have open alcohol, BUT you cannot be intoxicated obviously (below .08 BAC).

Same rules apply for the boat like a car !! You are not allowed to consume alcohol on a boat I honestly cant believe people have to ask this question lol .

Safety checks are voluntary right?

I think we've got everything covered, but can I ask what they check for? Would brews on board be a problem for them.........?

They asked to see my PCOC, the registration document for the boat, fishing license, life jackets, whistle, re-boarding device, bailer, oars, towing line, fire extinguisher, flashlight.....they seemed to be only interested in checking the fire extinguisher and all documents at first but I asked them to check for everything as it was the first time I have been checked since getting the boat and wanted to make sure I was all good.

Simple ..... Just play by the rules and alls good ...... check on boys ! by the way anyone fishing ?

Simple ..... Just play by the rules and alls good ...... check on boys ! by the way anyone fishing ?
A buddy did a few passes during the slack yesterday along west van, not much to speak of. I've got my eyes on the weekend if the weather cooperates. Hoping to hit the sound..

Same rules apply for the boat like a car !! You are not allowed to consume alcohol on a boat I honestly cant believe people have to ask this question lol .
Not quite the same rules. In a car no open alcohol, in a boat if it has a cabin that is legally your private space but the workdeck is subject to open alcohol rule.

Not quite the same rules. In a car no open alcohol, in a boat if it has a cabin that is legally your private space but the workdeck is subject to open alcohol rule.

The less you reason you give someone to look closer...the better.
Lipping off authorities and telling them to screw off never did anyone any good.

Anyone fished south Bowen this week?

Anyone find a string with 2 prawn traps in deep water off south of Roger Curtis?

Michael is right provincial vs federal. I have no interest in starting a debate regarding whether consumption of alcohol while boating is safe, or ethical. What I am stating is that there are currently no laws prohibiting the consumption of alcohol on board a vessel. These laws are provincial and do not apply on the water. Do your own research and reach your own conclusions but based on my conversations with RCMP members I am confident in my opinion. I believe the confusion might be around the .08 law which I think is a criminal code violation and would apply. Don't quote me on that one though. The original poster asked whether brews would be a problem or not and to my knowledge the correct answer is they would not. Please be safe and sensible everyone. Surely we have a member in the group who would be willing to engage. Let's make this conversation a meaningful one that is fueled by facts rather than speculation.

Now......on a far more fishing report like theme. Can anyone please offer up some intel on prawning around Thasher. I am taking a few work buddies out fishing next week and our usual holes around Tent Island will be closed. We have tried the flat tops a couple of months ago and didn't do well. I figure we will fish Thrasher as it offers the best chance of getting the guys into a winter spring or two. I'd also like to get them into some prawns and crabs. Crabbing has been terrible off of Bear Point (Chemainus) the last few months so any tips there would be great two. Pm me if you'd prefer not o publish it.

Cheers,
Brian

If you are anchored or moored yes !!
I was told that only applies to the captain. Your guests can get as blasted as they want as long as you have a head and a bed. I think that's where all the confusion is here.

I've been madly scouring federal and provincial sites including the liquor control act, transport canada and the rcmp. I can't find a clear answer to justify my position and I have to sign off for the night. I was told by an officer who's opinion I value that the act of consuming the alcohol would be penalized under the motor vehicle act which here in BC does not apply on the water. The act of operating a motor vehicle while impaired (>.08) is a criminal code offense(federal). His summation was if you boldly opened up a beer right in front of him while operating your boat as disrespectful as this is he would not be able to successfully cite you. If you were operating a vessel while impaired and he could prove >.08 he would be happy to bust your butt. This is only one officers opinion and they make mistakes with their interpretation of the many laws so........I will dig some more on this one and try and report back with a straight answer and concrete evidence to back it up. I have seen many websites that reference the requirement for sleeping quarters, must be anchored etc. but when you dig deeper these are province specific regulations.

I'll post back on this one,
Brian

"Driving a Boat Under the Influence of Alcohol
Boating while impaired is an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada.
Operators with more than 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood are liable to the following fines:

• 1st offence: at least $1,000 fine
  • 2nd offence: at least 30 days of imprisonment
  • 3rd offence: at least 120 days of imprisonment
The maximum sentence may vary depending on provincial statutes.

Consumption of Alcohol on Boats
Alcohol may be consumed on board the pleasure craft if it meets all of the following conditions:

• The vessel has permanent sleeping facilities
  • The vessel has permanent cooking facilities
  • The vessel has a permanent toilet
  • The vessel is anchored or secured alongside a dock"

Man.......fishing must be slow.....

I was out on Monday. Fished Tunstall. 6 or 7 to the boat but all just undersized.

Quick question.....where is the waterfall...gotta try somewhere new?

Hey DClayton,

Waterfall, is half way down west side of Bowen, about a mile south of Hutt island.
Depths vary there a lot, so have to follow sounder closely, following the channels, and stay right on top of down-riggers.
Normally Tunstall produces more but smaller fish from my experience, but have caught a nice winter spring couple years back at the falls, on Irish cream 3.5 spoon.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back