Rockfish

seascene

Crew Member
Recently returned from a visit to Yuma Arizona. While there I saw BC rock fish for sale in a super market. Since we have so many rock fish conservation zones around the BC coast, the fact that there is exploitation enough to export all the way to southern US ... kinda makes you wonder about DFO sincerity in conservation of rockfish. All of the grocery stores I have seen so far on Van Isl also sell rockfish.

Recently returned from a visit to Yuma Arizona. While there I saw BC rock fish for sale in a super market. Since we have so many rock fish conservation zones around the BC coast, the fact that there is exploitation enough to export all the way to southern US ... kinda makes you wonder about DFO sincerity in conservation of rockfish. All of the grocery stores I have seen so far on Van Isl also sell rockfish.

Have you ever wondered why we sell Washington state dungeness crab up here in Vancouver? or maybe they just label it that way to get small min size crabs available for sale here?

I wouldn't trust that just because its labeled from somewhere that its actually from their.

Some of the stuff you post wildman is just nuts.

I.E defending that Native Thompson steelhead poacher on the other forum last week.... bet your glad you deleted all that before it made its way over to this forum .....

Some of the stuff you post wildman is just nuts.

You think I am nuts for saying that some stores in Vancouver buy undersized crab from Vancouver First Nations and Label it as from Washigton or Oregon state.

Yeah your right that would never happen

There is a certain amount of commercial tack that's is allocated for the commercial sector to execute all there fisheries... there is a small fishery on them depending on what the allocated amount is...so it great to see they a maximizing the value of the fish.....

There is a certain amount of commercial tack that's is allocated for the commercial sector to execute all there fisheries... there is a small fishery on them depending on what the allocated amount is...so it great to see they a maximizing the value of the fish.....
Midwater trawls IIRC.

Are you sure it’s from BC?

The sport limit for rockfish in California is 10 per day. I’m not sure if they have a commercial fishery but that smacks of abundance

Was just about to say my son in law works on a mid level trawl. They do most of their dragging off the north end of the island and off the Queen Charottes. Matter of fact he’s out there right now dragging for rockfish.

Yes-- It is a bit incongruous that you can go to Keefer Street in China Town now and see fresh quillback ( some live) yelloweye, vermillions, widows, etc. etc but we have to realize that there are legitimate commercial fisheries on the West Coast, North Coast and North Island that goes on quota-- not month of the year or according to our seasonal closures.. When I was down in ChinaTown after Christmas, I was surprised to see live octopus, live abalone ( US or farmed ?? ) as well as a whole bunch of southern species that we dont get in BC. The fishing industry, for better or worse, is a global industry. I suggest that you can get better informed if you do as AA suggested , and get a copy of the BC ground fish IFMP from DFO. Do I personally agree with all that is in the document ?? No bloody way. But what I think does not count in a diverse fishing industry ....

You think I am nuts for saying that some stores in Vancouver buy undersized crab from Vancouver First Nations and Label it as from Washigton or Oregon state.

Yeah your right that would never happen

Hey, where can I find the actual info. Not conjecture or heresay. The actual info on who’s catching and selling? I’d like to read up on it.

For the most part Canadian privacy laws prevent the disclosure of individual catches. If you dig you can find Fisheries area catches. As far as FN catches-- forget it. They dont have to tell us anything.

Clint next time your fishing in area 29 outside of vancouver and get checked by a DFO officer ask them.

They might tell you if the Musqueam band ate all the crab it catches for FSC that the whole band would be dead from to high cholesterol and clogged arteries. They also might tell you that they were told by the power at be that they can't Seize first nation traps in the area.

As for sea food labeling

Canada's food inspection agency just flunked a test for seafood labels
https://www.nationalobserver.com/20...ction-agency-just-flunked-test-seafood-labels

I would also bet that california has a minimum size for rockfish, What's BC minimum size?

It's true tho I am a bit nuts, I am also bad at expressing my point and I tend to lack good references as most of my knowledge comes from being exposed to all the fishing industries my whole life. Tho it seems now that I can't post anything without being personally attacked so I'm going to take a break from the forums.

So I apologies to everyone for my crazy post and outlandish claims

Not everybody disagrees with you every time wildman. You have 131 likes on 393 comments.

Your BC rockfish is for sale at Costco in Sequim Washington every time I go in there.

Rockfish is also by-catch from other commercial fisheries. Overall, it's a messed-up situation.

Back