3D Structure Scan

Waterwolf2230

Hey guys,

I'm just working on the electronics package for my new boat and was wondering if anyone has seen or used the new 3D Structure Scan from Simrad or Lowrance? The videos on youtube are showing bait in 95' or so. I fish usually around 200+. I'm not sure if it would have the power to see bait that deep. If it could, it could be a came changer insofar as staying on bait.

Thanks for the input,

WW

What boat did you get, Curtis?
Tom
I went with a 26' RH Sea Hawk Pro with twin 200 Evinrude G2's. Should be a beauty! It'll be ready at the end of March so that gives me a lot of time to obsess about what I want to put into it! I'm open to suggestions. You'll have to come up for a visit and wet a line!

from what's on you tube don't bother
go with a ss-175-m and a SS 175 high wide
your covered for every thing then in the chuck ...
and a pr of 12" evo -3's

from what's on you tube don't bother
go with a ss-175-m and a SS 175 high wide
your covered for every thing then in the chuck ...
and a pr of 12" evo -3's
I've never had a boat with a through hull transducer, can you put those in aluminum boats?

Curtis ,I put 2-NSS7 Evo2 screens on my last boat with a P66 and a separate structure scan transducer on the transom.I loved the Simrad units but the structure scan was a waste of money,although it wasn't 3D which is an extra.Airmar makes a transducer that is an all in one if you decide you want it,but I haven't heard how well they work.I found that buying the 2 -7" units was hardly any more $ than buying 1-9" unit and a lot better for viewing radar with chart overlay on one and sonar etc. on the other.I added the sonic hub w/bluetooth which runs on the screens too if you don't want a separate radio.They all connect through the NEMA 2000 backbone.

Works great in the Mississippi or shallow bass lakes apparently that is what it was developed for . Like everyone else after much research I went with the p66 transducer for fishing in the chuck. The combos transducer was told are also not very good for in the ocean.

Last year in May when all that brown sludge was around was the only time the p66 did not pick up any fish or bait but it still found the bottom.

Last edited:
I have a chance to buy a new 12" Lowrance Gen 3 for $1600 or a 9" for $1000 which is half price. I was thinking about using that inside my cabin and a 12" Lowrance Carbon unit at my rear helm as its brighter. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that I can run my chirp transducer to the Carbon unit and then an Ethernet to the Gen 3 unit which will basically just share the screen of the Carbon. I could actually have two 9" inside, one dedicated to radar or charts and the other to the sounder and have the Carbon unit do the heavy lifting so to speak. Thoughts on that?

I am researching the same. Some good info on the hull truth forums. Everything but Furuno seems geared to freshwater bass. Furuno sounds like it has promise for our way of fishing the black box & X-ducer are probably $3-4K plus $5K for a display (US prices). I had this technology on Garmin until the boat was stolen. From my brief experience & comments on THT interpretation of what you see is an intensive task that would be a major distraction from fishing. From what i have read the reasonably priced stuff would never do what you want.

On the other hand, CHIRP seems to majorly outperform the P66 for what we do.

Wow,great price's,I think 2-9" at the helm and a Carbon out back would be ideal setup.Some reviews say that the Simrad evo 3 units have more power than the gen 3 Lowrance.Things change so fast in the tech department it's hard to keep up with the latest greatest and know what actually makes a difference in day to day fishing.I would suggest that you talk to the person that do's the install for your boat builder,he should be up to date on everything.The Carbon has a much better screen (sunglasses on) and at an angle and also twice the storage capacity than the Gen3, so it can store your chart sonar history etc.

Wow,great price's,I think 2-9" at the helm and a Carbon out back would be ideal setup.Some reviews say that the Simrad evo 3 units have more power than the gen 3 Lowrance.Things change so fast in the tech department it's hard to keep up with the latest greatest and know what actually makes a difference in day to day fishing.I would suggest that you talk to the person that do's the install for your boat builder,he should be up to date on everything.The Carbon has a much better screen (sunglasses on) and at an angle and also twice the storage capacity than the Gen3, so it can store your chart sonar history etc.
Ya I agree, that's why I was going to put the Carbon unit outside where it gets more sun and glare. Thanks for the feedback!

I have an hds gen3 9" in the cab and a hds gen2 touch 12" in the back. works great. I run a through hull transducer (aluminum hull) and have the structure scan mounted on the transom. The structure scan doesn't work deeper than 100ft but it works good otherwise (i read it works deeper in freshwater but i haven't tried). easy to read when you run down and side scan. I don't have the 3d but I'm not sure its necessary it is easy enough to understand after spending a few minutes on it.

I have an hds gen3 9" in the cab and a hds gen2 touch 12" in the back. works great. I run a through hull transducer (aluminum hull) and have the structure scan mounted on the transom. The structure scan doesn't work deeper than 100ft but it works good otherwise (i read it works deeper in freshwater but i haven't tried). easy to read when you run down and side scan. I don't have the 3d but I'm not sure its necessary it is easy enough to understand after spending a few minutes on it.
Ya, I like the idea of a bigger display in the back of the boat, you don't have to look so hard that way. 9" is plenty when you are driving...

PM sent

Like your thinking on the units. I would add a 1k through hull transducer and forget the structure scan (or set up a second transducer with it for shallow water). Careful on how you setup unit as incorrect settings in Master unit (particularly regarding chirp settings) that don't align with your transducer type can fry your head unit.

Come see me at the Navico booth at the boat show and I can run through all your options. Measure your dash if you are going flush mount. Lots of options to consider and I we may have a few ideas that will get you more for less money.

Big noticeable difference in performance in deeper water or while travelling. A stronger signal out creates a better echo returning. Talk to any of the techies at the Boat Show selling transducers and they can explain how it works. I don't want to phrase it wrong but I do know that the Lowrance units you are looking at will work much better with a 1k transducer.

There are 600W ducers available:

http://www.airmar.com/productinfo.html?category=MT&name=Marine Transducers

Sort on "power"

I'd say transducer mounting is more critical than power for reception at speed.

Having an AL hull will limit choices to either stainless thru-hull or plastic transom mount.

You COULD use an iPAD for in the cabin, & if you want buttons in the cabin buy a remote. FYI the Simrad version of the carbon has HDMI video output on the 2 larger screen sizes.

There are 600W ducers available:

http://www.airmar.com/productinfo.html?category=MT&name=Marine Transducers

Sort on "power"

I'd say transducer mounting is more critical than power for reception at speed.

Having an AL hull will limit choices to either stainless thru-hull or plastic transom mount.

You COULD use an iPAD for in the cabin, & if you want buttons in the cabin buy a remote. FYI the Simrad version of the carbon has HDMI video output on the 2 larger screen sizes.
I take it the brass versions react with the aluminum??? Is that why you say to use stainless?

Back