Sad Times-- Tyee Marine Courtenay Closing up.

Cuba Libre

Its sad for the 6 employees that have lost their jobs. Apparently rising rent and a lot of competition from other outfits in town have made the decision for the owners. Personally, I will miss them because I could always find what I wanted locally between Tyee and Gone Fishin. And both Tyee and Gone Fishing guys and gals were great to BS with if they wernt busy. No need to go to Nanaimo or Campbell River.
Some items are being sold at clearance prices.... some very nice womens camo gear at 50% off. Boxed Mustad steelhead hooks , fly tying material, reels and a few rods, good quality chest waders etc . Not that much salt gear, but as they send stuff to the home store in Campbell River, I expect that will change....

Its sort of like picking over the bones of a dead body.

the older gentalman that runns the anter score, was the original ,before oscars buying group.duncan st fishin shop was the greatst squere footage of the sportsman. land and water.

very sad news...tyee has been my go to store for rods reels and gear. Going to miss that store! Pisses me off... Really we have to buy online to save 5 dollars! Well get what you pay for... So much for looking at the gear you may want or getting advice.. Hell I saved 5 bucks! Very sad.

That's ****** !!!
I buy from the little guys, always have. Support locally owned stores you support local people.Never made sense to me to spend the money I make locally online or at a box store a hundred and fifty km away.

very sad news...tyee has been my go to store for rods reels and gear. Going to miss that store! Pisses me off... Really we have to buy online to save 5 dollars! Well get what you pay for... So much for looking at the gear you may want or getting advice.. Hell I saved 5 bucks! Very sad.

I think it is more to do will less people in the hobby then people buying online.

I think it is more to do will less people in the hobby then people buying online.

So have you been out fishing locally in the summer? Have you been to Browns bay during the chum run? Ya noooooone fishing these days.......

So have you been out fishing locally in the summer? Have you been to Browns bay during the chum run? Ya noooooone fishing these days.......

Most shops can't survive on saltwater fishing only, pointing at an event where everyone from out of town brings there own gear is hardly a representation of the normal crowd. My local fishing shop closed because there's been almost no fresh water fishing openings.

If you referring to guide buying cases of lures online or ordering from shops thats going on forever.

I just don't no many fishermen that buy anything online.

The gentrification of the North Island:). Wholesale Sports has gone as well.

I beg to differ with you Wildmanyeah
How much time do you spend in Campbell River??
We have shopped there many times in the past and they are a great local business
Sorry to see them go!

I don't think online shopping has made as big a hit in our local lure market as it has hit every other retailer. YOu really can't get a lot of what we use here for a signifigent discount online. You can get knock offs, but if you want a Jensen Coyote or a G-Force, online is about the same as local.

But the complete destruction of our salt fishery is not helping, and yes, there are less people participating every year.

In this case...thinking the lease may have became a little too much perhaps... tackle buss is a tough one....

Back