2018 chinook limits

Seems kinda straightforward to me:

1) People can pay a lot of money to go fishing at a destination lodge and want to maximize their expenditure with bringing back as much fish as they can to show off their fishing abilities and trip success.
2) Many people like to eat fish that they catch themselves - old hunter/gatherer instincts and share with friends and family
3) People like to eat salmon, the more salmon to eat, the better they feel.

+1
I'd say it's a slim minority that shell out big bucks to fish with an outfitter at some remote locale, and DON'T want to maximize take-home harvest. It's food dude.

fb

Seems kinda straightforward to me:

1) People can pay a lot of money to go fishing at a destination lodge and want to maximize their expenditure with bringing back as much fish as they can to show off their fishing abilities and trip success.
2) Many people like to eat fish that they catch themselves - old hunter/gatherer instincts and share with friends and family
3) People like to eat salmon, the more salmon to eat, the better they feel.
One and two make some sense but three would be better served by spending your money at a grocery store You could buy a lot of fish for what a lodge trip costs. I think it's more about the experience. Kind of like growing your own vegetables, they are probably no cheaper because when they are ready to harvest the commercial prices are lowest,but it's the satisfaction of growing your own.

There isn't anything concrete and everyone's panicking. Same goes for halibut. Its not going to be that bad, and if if something happens it isn't just south island that will be touched. The pain will go everywhere. I am sure Derby on others will let people know how things unfold with DFO as time goes on. People though really need to be a little more mobile this year, and be willing to drive locations if some places are restricted. This means on island in south you have to actually go past the Malahat sign by Goldstream, and climb the mighty mountain.:p

This will almost definitely have an effect on additional closures/restrictions.
Hope we don't get hit too hard.

1 over and 1 under 77 is no big deal.
It doesn't hurt sales at the lodges.
Those people that have an issue with it (prospective guests) are the ones you don't want up there anyways.
A slot limit was in 1999- 2000-2001 or around there. I don't recall the years.

On Northcoast fish, 77 cm Chinook used to have an average weight of right around 17lbs. Some as low as 15.5 lbs and some as high as 18.5. I recall a season and in 120 days fishing I believe it was 6 I found all season under 77 or right at 77cm....just six all season killed in 120 straight days for my boat with 2-4 guests on board.

Anyways, from what I'm hearing from many of the guides I know in the QCI ...there are times of the season when that is all there is to be had in recent years.

There isn't anything concrete and everyone's panicking. Same goes for halibut. Its not going to be that bad, and if if something happens it isn't just south island that will be touched. The pain will go everywhere. I am sure Derby on others will let people know how things unfold with DFO as time goes on. People though really need to be a little more mobile this year, and be willing to drive locations if some places are restricted. This means on island in south you have to actually go past the Malahat sign by Goldstream, and climb the mighty mountain.:p
The mobility scenario is an interesting one, removing angling pressure from one area adding to another! How often do we see DFO have different regulations in different areas and sub areas for the same run of fish? Never made any sense to me! Seems to me it's more about politics than fish!

Here is a quote taken from an email sent out by a guide/lodge business I received today.

Quote “ We hope that the coming year will be a good one for you? We are looking forward to another great fishing season as the DFO are forecasting a monster fishing year for our waters in 2018“ end quote.

Last edited:
Here is a quote taken from an email sent out by a guide/lodge business I received today.

Quote “ We hope that the coming year will be a good one for you? We are looking forward to another great fishing season as the DFO are forecasting a monster fishing year for our waters in 2018“ end quote.

East side of Vancouver Island if wondering.

Really their are estimates out already?

They are just pimping you, what else are they going to say, fishing is going to be the shiets don't come!!!!

They are just pimping you, what else are they going to say, fishing is going to be the shiets don't come!!!!

Yup clearly. I know what it is. That’s why I made sure there was no Name to identify business. Point was not to call anyone out for trying to promote bookings.Just thought it relevant to the thread.
On a side note I have to pay my moorage this week. So I am hoping for better news wen regs come out.

lol hope you are having a relaxing time, tip one for me i could use it:)
Yes, you are in my thoughts these days and nothing to do with hockey.

I have tipped a couple lately but in moderation

Guess I will wait until after the negotiations and decisions are made by the people in charge before I get upset if it’s bad news.

Cheers

Derby there were changes to the Chinook regs , if you weren't keeping the BS so close to your chest you would remember. Area 19/20 had the boundary changes from Sheringham to Sombro, If your group did have nothing to do with this change after leaving the table with DFO what kind of Negotiations or bargaining is really going on

Really ???...okay :) I would be interested in what negotiations you are talking about & what group u would be pointing a finger at?

Last edited:
Derby there were changes to the Chinook regs , if you weren't keeping the BS so close to your chest you would remember. Area 19/20 had the boundary changes from Sheringham to Sombro, If your group did have nothing to do with this change after leaving the table with DFO what kind of Negotiations or bargaining is really going on

If you have a question ask it, but don't take veiled shots at volunteers. Went through that with the Halibut issues a few years back and not interested in it happening again.

If you have a question ask it, but don't take veiled shots at volunteers. Went through that with the Halibut issues a few years back and not interested in it happening again.
Precisely why I stopped posting on this forum, there are a few folks who are directly involved in volunteer roles who try to keep people informed as best they can. These type of shots don't do much to encourage volunteerism. So when I just happened to drop in for a look and spotted the remark - I was very glad to see Admin cracking down. Kudos to Admin! Happy New Year.

Back