USA fires CFIA for salmon disease testing.

So, just what does this mean??.
To me: it means that the US F&W department has also come to the realization of the rather large, gaping holes in CFIA approved testing methodology - the same approval process that tried to state that BC is ISAv-free. You can't use CFIA-approved labs to test and certify disease-free status of eggs and live fish to the states anymore - instead you need to use private, non-government laboratories for all required diagnostic testing.

Better for fish farms easier to pay off private labs, creates competition and private labs will be force into giving favourable results. In fact I don't even see the need for the lab to be a third party lab...Which means big companies like cook can use their own vets that are approved in the USA.

I hope you are not celebrating this is some kind of win?

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...e3dd08bb8&mc=true&node=se50.1.16_113&rgn=div8

You will also be sad to see there is no testing reguirment for PRV or HSMI

" I further certify that Oncorhynchus masou virus and the viruses causing viral hemorrhagic septicemia, infectious hematopoietic necrosis, and infectious pancreatic necrosis have not been detected in viral assays of the fish lot(s) of origin."

Last edited:
I think that the agent is again trying to turn this into something it isn't. Again there is missing information specifically as to why this action took place. Regardless of agents opinion and a dramatized headline to the thread a question to him would simply be why hasn't the US found ISAv on this west coast just the same as our CFIA?

BN - ISAv has definitely been found in Canada - numerous times.

Has the US F&W found it? No. Why not?

Last edited:
Better for fish farms easier to pay off private labs, creates competition and private labs will be force into giving favourable results.
I hope you are not celebrating this is some kind of win?
You will also be sad to see there is no testing reguirment for PRV or HSMI.

Paying off private labs and not even testing for PRV and HSMI and Birdsnest saying "why hasn't the US found ISAv on this west coast just the same as our CFIA? "are more reason why it is so hard to believe a word Fish Farm supports say!
If Fish Farms want more public support and fewer attacks from knowledgeable people they need to be honest and transparent in every respect, including Sea Lice, all Viruses, Disease and the other problems they encounter, which I might add THEY ARE NOT.
Happy New Year everyone and just like Christmas I am going to give this a rest for a while and prepare to celebrate the New Year.

I realize it may be a safer narrative for pro-FF pundits to accept the PR release from CFIA communications branch that there was no ISAv found in BC - but ISAv has been found in numerous samples from numerous geographic areas in BC numerous times using PCR testing, BN. I've posted some of those test results before on other threads. Those results include:

Cultus Lake - 64/64 sockeye smolts tested positive for ISA. Simon Jones (PBS Nanaimo) buried the results from the Cohen Comission and blocked Molly Kibenge from publishing on this. Cultus Lake sockeye got on the COSEWIC listing, but the Fisheries Minister blocked it from SARA due to economic impacts. No retesting nor no notification to the local FN. NO FOLLOW-UP! SFU also found ISA in local resident trout. Population remains depressed.

Oweekeno Lake - similar stock crash as Cultus. 6 Sockeye fry found with ISA. Samples were degraded and frozen which kills virus - but still got ISA positives. High prob of false negatives. Media scrum by DFO/CFIA. "We are winning the PR war" from CFIA emails in Cohen exhibits. Refusal of acceptance of ISA results by CFIA to protect the disease staus of the open net-cage industry. Again - no retesting or follow-up by DFO/CFIA. Instead they pay $2M to the OIE and get the only independent ISA lab in Charlottetown (that reported the presumptive positives) de-certified.

Southern NFLD and Inner Bay of Fundy Atlantic salmon stocks - all on SARA endangered list (IBoF) or listed to go on it (S. NFLD). All these stocks have been exposed to ISA from the net cage industry.

Because of the trade implications of those test results - CFIA made a decision to claim those test results were "false" verses "weak" positives - as they arbitrarily determined the cycles used to determine that weak/false determination. Then they gave something like $2M to the OIE and got Fred's lab decertified to make it all go away - and never retested and destroyed the samples. It's quite a story that probably deserves a movie to be made about it.

The ISAv (& PRv) sequences found in BC were European/Norwegian at one time, as well.

Molly JT Kibenge, Tokinori Iwamoto, Yingwei Wang, Alexandra Morton, Richard Routledge, and Frederick SB Kibenge. 2016. Discovery of variant infectious salmon anaemia virus (ISAV) of European genotype in British Columbia, Canada. Virology Journal (2016) 13:3

p.5:ISAV sequences detected in British Columbia fish include both ISAV-HPRΔ and ISAV-HPR0 and are of European genotype”.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Molly JT Kibenge, Tokinori Iwamoto, Yingwei Wang, Alexandra Morton, Marcos G Godoy, and Frederick SB Kibenge. 2013. Whole-genome analysis of piscine reovirus (PRV) shows PRV represents a new genus in family Reoviridae and its genome segment S1 sequences group it into two separate sub-genotypes. Virology Journal 2013, 10:230

p.10:Chilean PRV strains had 100% amino acid sequence identity with the Norwegian strain Reovirus sp. Salmo/GP-2010/NOR, whereas the Canadian strains had ≤92.7% amino acid sequence identity with this [Norwegian] PRV strain…”

p.11:Our analysis using BEAST simulation [32] shows the time when Canadian PRV isolates diverged from Norwegian PRV isolates was between 2006 and 2011

Last edited:
The only ISAv that has been found, endemic or European, was by a discredited lab ... kinda like testimony from a convicted criminal, imo.
In your second paragraph you mention ISAV found in trout ( I assume you mean cutthroat in Cultus Lake) and that population "remains depressed" ... can you back this claim?

Ya, criminals. Glad you brought that up, Dave.

If a cop destroyed evidence and shut the forensics lab down - I believe that'd be defined as criminal actions. I really don't understand how anyone could defend these actions - esp. those whom belong to a department whose responsibility is to protect the wild stocks.

sockeye - your question...

Last edited:
Even with CFIA shutting down Canada's only OIE-certified ISAv lab (DFO/CFIA's labe are not OIE-certified) - I think we are IN SPITE of CFIA's interference and cover-ups - in the early stages of figuring-out this stuff - like we were wrt sea lice 15 years ago.

Thank goodness for Kristi Miller and other independent researchers and their search for truth and honesty using their diligence, dedication, hard work, and morals - unlike our DFO/CFIA regulators.

Agent, Washington can't find ISAv. Are you willing to accuse them of corruption as well?

After the first year of testing, researchers did not find ISAV in any samples taken from more than 900 wild and hatchery-produced Pacific chinook, coho, sockeye, chum and steelhead, as well as farm-raised Atlantic salmon.

The monitoring program – funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture – is expected to continue for at least one more year. Participants include the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission, Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Washington State University, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Tissue samples were collected from Pacific salmon from rivers in three geographic areas – the Salish Sea, Washington coast and the Columbia River. The Atlantic salmon tissue samples were collected from marine net-pens in Puget Sound. More information on the species and stock of salmon sampled during the first year of testing is available in the 2012-2013 Washington State ISAV Sampling table.
The tissue samples taken for the ISAV monitoring program were analyzed at the Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory in Pullman, and at a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service laboratory in Idaho.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/research/projects/salmon_anemia/

Alaska isn't to worried about it:

Important considerations regarding the B.C. ISAv:

• Research on ISAv indicates that risk to Alaska’s salmon stocks is low. Pacific salmon are relatively resistant to infection and disease from ISAv, which is a viral disease of Atlantic salmon. The susceptibility of sockeye salmon to ISAv has not been experimentally tested. Other Pacific salmon including Chinook, coho, and chum salmon as well as steelhead trout do not develop disease when injected with the Norwegian strain of ISAv, but may become infected and carry the virus for varying periods of time. However, injection is an unnatural route of infection that would not occur in nature.
  • Other strains of ISAv in North America are not pathogenic in Atlantic salmon. However, these viruses can mutate into more virulent strains, therefore we have cause for some concern.
  • Atlantic herring reportedly carry the virus, but do not become diseased. This forage species could act as a reservoir and source of the virus.
  • Although live Atlantic salmon are prohibited from importation into Alaska, there is some straying of escapees from B.C. farms, which could provide an avenue for the virus to enter Alaska waters. However, ISAv testing by PCR of Atlantic salmon (4,726 tests) from B.C. farms by the Canadian government over the last 8 years, including the past three months, has been negative for the virus. Therefore, the risk of virus transmission from such escapees is very low.
  • ISAv does not transmit to humans and is not a human health or food safety issue.
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=pressreleases.isav_info

Last edited:
Even with CFIA shutting down Canada's only OIE-certified ISAv lab (DFO/CFIA's labe are not OIE-certified)

Thank goodness for Kristi Miller
I think Miller is about the science and I have a feeling in the future agent, you may not be echoing the above statement so keenly.

agent, if you are going to use Miller in your arguments at least get her name right ... it's Miller-Saunders.

As you know, I did the sampling for most of the Cultus Lake sockeye recovery program, including the fish you claim tested positive for ISA. I have told you before, follow up samples of those fish were not retested because all Cultus sockeye used for scientific sampling or broodstock were composted immediately after sampling. As to why further fish were not tested for ISA … there was no reason to do so as Molly Kibenge’s results from the discredited lab were not replicable.
It was also my job to inform local FN about developments in this program and I took that very seriously as Soowhalie members were friends of mine… do you think I should have told them “ oh, by the way, a discredited lab has shown ISAv to be present in Cultus sockeye … but the husband of the researcher who claims to have found this virus can’t replicate the results”? I don’t think so.

my news years wish is that in the new year we stop debating about mythical almo diseases that she's getting paid to promote and protest and focus on some real wild salmon issues maybe even diseases like Parvicapsula minibicornis. It's sad when profession protesters come to chilliwack to protest fish farms but don't even focus on the endangered wild salmon in their backyard. Were just splattering this form with fish farm stuff.

Like cultus lake sockeye their endangered, they have a COSEWIC Status listing yet next year they will be fished upon in mix stock sockeye fisheries. They are just as endangered as thompson steelhead and should get a sara listing if the steelhead do. How are we as a sport fishing group going to handle mix stock fisheries going forward? how are we going to handle steelhead co migrating with chum? How are we going to handle fishing these stocks in the ocean? its seems like once a stock enters the ocean its fare game on harvesting it? How come coho are so protected against fishing but other stocks whose numbers have continued to crash with coho like chinook are being ignored?

the pacific salmon treaty is up for renegotiation after 2018, Negotiations were supposed to be completed this year where they? what does that mean with a Trump government?

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-es...s/cultus-sockeyesalmon-saumonsockeye-eng.html

http://frafs.ca/sites/default/files2/PSTRenewal_Forum_26Jan2016FINAL.pdf

Back