watch this and tell me we need fish farms and their diseased fish intermingling with our wild salmon

bigdogeh

If you have a good stomach, please watch this till the end and tell me what you think. Do we really need these fish farms and their diseased fish intermingling with our wild salmon and herring?

If you have a good stomach, please watch this till the end and tell me what you think. Do we really need these fish farms and their diseased fish intermingling with our wild salmon and herring?

That is totally sickening and disgusting. Not eating breakfast this morning. Gross, who would want to buy and eat that?

Where is the precautionary principle? The government and DFO say they abide by it and use the principle to guide them when it comes to their invasive diseased farmed fish. Just more governmental BS that is supposed to comfort us in that this is all OK. Sorry, I don't get it. Maybe someone can tell me what I'm missing? How can having these lice factories with their diseased, virus laden fish along our migratory salmon routes be healthy for our wild pacific salmon?

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/reports-rapports/regs/sff-cpd/precaution-back-fiche-eng.htm

Last edited:
Where is the precautionary principle? The government and DFO say they abide by it and use the principle to guide them when it comes to their invasive diseased farmed fish. Just more governmental BS that is supposed to comfort us in that this is all OK. Sorry, I don't get it. Maybe someone can tell me what I'm missing? How can having these lice factories with their diseased, virus laden fish along our migratory salmon routes be healthy for our wild pacific salmon?

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/reports-rapports/regs/sff-cpd/precaution-back-fiche-eng.htm
Bigdoegh, so many things wrong with your statement. You wanted us to post on your thread, so here goes. Can you supply all the raw footage that was culled to make this video? I would like to try and edit together some footage that says the opposite. Can you also guarantee that this footage was all shot this year and none of it came from older footage or from perhaps some spliced in lab footage from a different era?

Bigdoegh, so many things wrong with your statement. You wanted us to post on your thread, so here goes. Can you supply all the raw footage that was culled to make this video? I would like to try and edit together some footage that says the opposite. Can you also guarantee that this footage was all shot this year and none of it came from older footage or from perhaps some spliced in lab footage from a different era?
Interesting defence.... it's the old "who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes."

The footage in the Video posted above about the diseased, virus laden and sick Farmed Atlantic Salmon in open net Caged Fish Farms is all real footage. Those really are Atlantic farmed salmon that are from the same cages as the fish being sold in the Supermarkets and that is ok if thats what you like but when these same farms are killing our Wild Salmon thats not OK.

Im neither for, or against fish farms but lets remember they have a buisness to run. Do you really think these runts are the ones making it to restauraunts or super markets? I don’t think so. No company is going to risk their reputation trying to salvage the very small percent of rejects in the batch.

Im neither for, or against fish farms but lets remember they have a buisness to run. Do you really think these runts are the ones making it to restauraunts or super markets? I don’t think so. No company is going to risk their reputation trying to salvage the very small percent of rejects in the batch.
when i worked on a farm long time ago i was proud of the fish i sent to market, all coho or Chinook. we had a buyer for our 5 years old brood stock. couldnt get them into a 10" transvac tube, they would get jammed. 30-40lbers to hand process on the spot. they where wicked, started with 50,000 smolts and 5 years later 2000 prime adults. no runts or spawners ever went to market, all fish shipped on ice in a styro cooler to anywhere in north america overnight. we even pushed the blood veins back into the stomach so it looked as best as possible. on some occasions a float plane with coolers would show up for overnight Boston orders, the fish would compete with wilds in chief cook offs.

what you say cvmike is so true........i dont think there are as many, tumor fights in a processing plant like AM claimed couple years back

Maybe not the runts but the ones with thier gills protruding as long as they are of size they are good to go.
Infected salmon declared fit for human consumption by Canadian Food Inspection Agency
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has approved a quarter million Nova Scotia salmon infected with the ISA virus for human consumption, but the U.S. won't take the fish.

Just did a few quick google searches and couldn’t find any reasourses linking ISA to the deformities shown in the initial post.

CFIA has very strict guidelines, and if they declare food as fit for consumption, I for one don’t see an issue.

Thxs for keeping us informed Terrin. Nice to know these diseased fish aren't good enough for the US, but they're OK for some of us Canadians to eat. (not my family though)

From your link:

"Evans reported that the Cooke farm near Liverpool, N.S., contained a new mutated strain of the virus. At least 140,000 salmon were destroyed before the quarantine was lifted last week."
Sure hope those inoculations that were told all the farmed fish here are given (voluntarily) can deal with new mutated forms of virus'es.

Infectious salmon anaemia is a problem that has been exacerbated by industrial-scale fish farming, says Professor Jeff Hutchings, a marine biologist at Dalhousie who studies wild and farmed salmon interactions.

“It’s the process of keeping salmon together at unnaturally-high densities … that creates conditions that are perfect for producing this highly lethal and infectious virus,” he said.

Yup, something unnatural and invasive in a (at one time) fairly pristine and natural environment, usually doesn't work out all that well. And our wild salmon end up paying the price so these fish farms can profit.

An outbreak of the virus in Chile in 2007 led to a mass cull that devastated the salmon farming industry, leading to more than $2 billion in losses and putting more than 20,000 people out of work.

British Columbia remains the only major salmon fishing region where a discovery of the virus has not been confirmed, though some scientists claim the government is attempting to discredit positive test results.

Fish culls are costly. When fish farmers are ordered to cull infected salmon, they are eligible for government compensation.

The government has paid out an estimated $100 million in compensation since the virus first surfaced in the Maritimes in 1996, according to a tally of government documents done by the Atlantic Salmon Federation.

Cooke Aquaculture would not say how much money it had received for culls in the past.

Last edited:

Whether they are making it there or not, the problem is they are still there in the open net pen and diseased. DFO regulation tells us they are supposed to be removed at first sign of disease and it's obvious they haven't been. Are they growing them out (in their diseased state) so they can make something out of them like fish fertilizer or animal feed where their condition won't matter as much? They've used them for that in the past.
The longer they are in the net pens in a diseased state, the greater the chance for pathogen transmission from the farmed fish to our wild pacific salmon and steelhead.

Last edited:
Maybe not the runts but the ones with thier gills protruding as long as they are of size they are good to go.
Infected salmon declared fit for human consumption by Canadian Food Inspection Agency
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has approved a quarter million Nova Scotia salmon infected with the ISA virus for human consumption, but the U.S. won't take the fish.
So do believe that wild salmon have no pathogens when you purchase them at a fish market or catch them recreationally? Would you eat a wild salmon that had Salmonicola henneguya or had IHNv?

What are you missing you say? Well, probably lots of footage for starters. You’re showing an edited film from some members of First Nations and some anti fish farm activists and you feel you are getting the full picture of everything that’s going on? And you are concerned about government BS but give this pseudoscience an big endorsement? Maybe you should expect some greater accountability and actual science from those that supposedly champion it instead watching YouTube.

So do believe that wild salmon have no pathogens when you purchase them at a fish market or catch them recreationally? Would you eat a wild salmon that had Salmonicola henneguya or had IHNv?
I wouldn't want to serve or eat those farmed fish without cooking them first. Especially not as sushi. (not that I'd eat a farmed fish anyways.) Scary that some farmed atlantic salmon is used for sushi when looking at the video of diseased fish from BC open net pen fish farms. But fill yer boots! According to the fish farm guys, that stuff is great!
I'd take my chances with a wild fish over a farmed fish any day though. Although I'm sure many are being infected from pathogen transfer from fish farms. And then becoming food for predators after having their immune systems compromised. In a wild salmon there would be less chance of pesticides from the use of slice, antibiotic residue, less chemicals. For example, chemicals that have been used in BC salmon farms include: Ivermectin, emamectin benzoate, oxytetracycline, florfenicol, Romet 30, sulfadimethoxine and ormetoprim, sulfadiazine and trimethoprim, tricaine methanesulfonate, formaldehyde, florfenicol and hydrogen peroxide. etc... Although with these farms operating in the direct migratory pathways of our wild pacific salmon and smolts, i'm sure some of these chemicals from the fish farms are getting into the natural environment and into our wild salmon as well...
http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/salmon-farming-problems/health-concerns-chemical-use/dependence/

What are you missing you say? Well, probably lots of footage for starters. You’re showing an edited film from some members of First Nations and some anti fish farm activists and you feel you are getting the full picture of everything that’s going on? And you are concerned about government BS but give this pseudoscience an big endorsement? Maybe you should expect some greater accountability and actual science from those that supposedly champion it instead watching YouTube.

lol,
Let's get more footage then.
Maybe you should get bones to set up some underwater camera's (I hear he's good with cameras) and we can live stream 24-7 some open net pen fish pharms full of invasive atlantic salmon up in the first nations territory of the broughton archipelago... You guys (government and the fish farm industry) should be all for that if you claim to be accountable and claim that there is nothing to hide... What do ya think?
We've got live footage of a bloodpipe now. Shouldn't be too hard. (oh yeah, that took a public "activist" to setup and show the world...)
It'll never happen...

Last edited:
maybe there is a study happening???

look at this camera

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 16
I wouldn't want to serve or eat those farmed fish without cooking them first. Especially not as sushi. (not that I'd eat a farmed fish anyways.) Scary that some farmed atlantic salmon is used for sushi when looking at the video of diseased fish from BC open net pen fish farms. But fill yer boots! According to the fish farm guys, that stuff is great!
I'd take my chances with a wild fish over a farmed fish any day though. Although I'm sure many are being infected from pathogen transfer from fish farms. And then becoming food for predators after having their immune systems compromised. In a wild salmon there would be less chance of pesticides from the use of slice, antibiotic residue, less chemicals. For example, chemicals that have been used in BC salmon farms include: Ivermectin, emamectin benzoate, oxytetracycline, florfenicol, Romet 30, sulfadimethoxine and ormetoprim, sulfadiazine and trimethoprim, tricaine methanesulfonate, formaldehyde, florfenicol and hydrogen peroxide. etc... Although with these farms operating in the direct migratory pathways of our wild pacific salmon and smolts, i'm sure some of these chemicals from the fish farms are getting into the natural environment and into our wild salmon as well...
http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/salmon-farming-problems/health-concerns-chemical-use/dependence/
Lol. Oh how I love the fear mongering. I’m sure you are sure about a lot of things. Ah yes we can’t forget the pristine Lower Fraser River downstream of Hope or the millions of hatchery fish produced for anglers such as yourself. All free of any exposure to chemicals. How much of Cohen did you actually read anyway?

Back