Wild Salmon Policy implementation plan

thx @agentaqua I'll try to attend the Vancouver open house:

October 30 2017 Wild Salmon Policy Implementation Plan Public Open House Segal Building, SFU
500 Granville Street, Vancouver, BC
6:30 - 8:30pm

The plan for the Elwa restoration is already being implemented. They figure 20 years before much good happens. Hope I am still around to watch my Grandkid's pull some in.
With the Orca situation I expect to see some focus on hatchery fish for awhile.

Here's a little something to brighten your day. Heard from a reliable federal govt source that Trudeau is planning to implement a signifcant change to Chinook and Coho allocations, effectively giving a majority of the sport allocation to FN as part of the indigenous settlement he feels is overdue.
May not be new news for some, but I felt quite alarmed that another favourite hobby is being threatened.
It will take a couple years, but DFO plans for the consultation process are already being set. At every turn hunters ( grizzly) and sports fishers are being thrown under the bus by our governments.

Here's a little something to brighten your day. Heard from a reliable federal govt source that Trudeau is planning to implement a signifcant change to Chinook and Coho allocations, effectively giving a majority of the sport allocation to FN as part of the indigenous settlement he feels is overdue.
May not be new news for some, but I felt quite alarmed that another favourite hobby is being threatened.
It will take a couple years, but DFO plans for the consultation process are already being set. At every turn hunters ( grizzly) and sports fishers are being thrown under the bus by our governments.
Stoking the fires with this one. Any way you can back this up?

All I can say is it was a personal conversation with a family friend over Christmas who happens to be a senior fed govt staffer. I trust the source 100%.

Last edited:
All I can say is it was a personal conversation with a family friend over Christmas who happens to be a senior fed govt staffer.
I have heard this to from a unnamed DFO source. Fisheries management will be handed over to the first nations. Should not be a surprise in these room with all the DFO hate going around. Out of the frying pan into the fire.

Its no surprise it's why most fishermen want fish farms gone. Fish farms are basically the government's answer to turning over all wild fish to the First Nations. It's why sports fishermen funnel so much money to almo.

Its no surprise it's why most fishermen want fish farms gone. Fish farms are basically the government's answer to turning over all wild fish to the First Nations. It's why sports fishermen funnel so much money to almo.

Actually most want them gone to try to save what's left of our iconic wild salmon. Keep coming up with more conspiracy theories to suit your agenda though.

Actually most want them gone to try to save what's left of our iconic wild salmon. Keep coming up with more conspiracy theories to suit your agenda though.

Can you show me some evidence that fish farms cause more wild salmon mortalities, then seals? sports fishermen? Commercial? First Nations" birds? whales?

Until then it just sounds like people want fish farms gone so they can catch more wild salmon for themselves thus meaning wild salmon net numbers will not change

When you can i'll be on your side

Can you show me some evidence that fish farms cause more wild salmon mortalities, then seals? sports fishermen? Commercial? First Nations" birds? whales?

Until then it just sounds like people want fish farms gone so they can catch more wild salmon for themselves thus meaning wild salmon net numbers will not change

When you can i'll be on your side
Can you show that Fish Farms don't cause any wild salmon mortalities?

They do cause harm to wild stocks, just like land farms cause damage to wild animals.

What we haven’t esiblished is if they do more harm then good.

I understand the some don’t want any allocated losses do to fish farms.

What if losses do to fish farms are less then the losses do to sports fishing then Wouldn’t it make more sense to end sports fishing?

Of course if you think no losses should be allocated to fish farms then You might as well sell your boat and find a different hobby.

I don’t hunt but I eat beef. I understand that me eating beef causes there to be less land for hunters and wild game. Also that deseases from chickens, cattle and pigs may be transferred to wild animals.

I have heard this to from a unnamed DFO source. Fisheries management will be handed over to the first nations. Should not be a surprise in these room with all the DFO hate going around. Out of the frying pan into the fire.

My thoughts:

1. A Fishery does NOT belong to any group, association, community or culture.

2. Salmon, for example, are 'on the radar' of Sport Fisherman, Commercial Fisherman, First Nations People, Environmentalists et al.

3. Salmon stocks are declining, for a myriad of reasons, everywhere in BC (based on anecdotal and factual reports...yes, I grew up fishing for Springs on Abe and Al's with 4 - 12 oz Peetz weights in the canal AND buck tailing for Coho out of Beachcomber. Pictures taken then and now speak volumes.

My concern:

How can any one vested group have an unbiased approach to management of a fishery? It is impossible. The only way to ensure parity and equality for all is for a decision-making body, comprised of each group.

I am not informed enough to actually understand the machinations of present-day management processes. I follow forums, read literature, and try to make sense of who who really saying what when they open their mouth. What I do know, however, is that no matter the intention, this is a shared Fishery and MUST be managed as such.

Back