Status
Not open for further replies.

fishin_magician

Well, when I first started the Vancouver-Howe Sound Sechelt Reports Thread more than 10 years ago on SFBC there was no real thread about local fishing in the Vancouver area. It was a disjoint dysfunctional board. It's definitely still something like that sometimes with in-fighting and Jerry Springer show-like antics sometimes but the thread must go on!

In the past 15 years, and 25 if I think about it, there have been some significant and major changes in the way this sport is participated in, the management measures which are implemented, and the state of the resource. Some for the better, much for the worse and some changes of which the consequences, good or bad and truths are yet to be to be forseen and fleshed out. There is much more to transpire and there is more healthy discussion and awareness of the issues surrounding our ecosystems, fisheries, fisheries management and the future of our fish stocks than there has ever been. In this time, the reports thread has morphed into something more, a thread of debate, friendships, experiences, comradery, community and enthusiam of all types.

Without further adieu, it's time to fire up the 2018 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Thread and local fishing area discussion for 2018. Please share your reports!

I encourage all to participate and share their viewpoints, experiences, reports, and enjoy the contribution that SFBC message boards make to the enjoyment of this precious and precarious resource.

My personal fishing goals are to fish 90+ days on the BC Coast this year, participate the guiding/charter industry again as I was and work less at the Monday-Friday day job and enjoy a catharsis of sorts....getting back.

I'd like to encourage all the read the regulations and fish responsibly. There is an important regulation which is in effect January 1...

In area 29, to start off 2018, the daily limit for Chinook is 1 greater than 62 cm. For those starting off the new year fishing for Winter Chinooks..this means you will have to be selective in the fish you take until the limit is increased...and this has some major implications for us fishing in the Springtime.....as the winter fishery is predominantly in Area 28 and 17.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.html#s-rest

Area 28 remains unchanged for the meantime....
Area 17 remains unchanged for the meantime as well.

Last edited:
There should be one forthcoming soon as a reminder. It's also in the restrictions in the guide.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.html#s-rest

Not sure if I am reading this right. For Area 29, it lists:

Species regulations
Chinook Salmon
Area 29-1 to 29-5,29-8, 29-6,29-7,29-9,29-10
Min size, 62 cm
29-11 to 29-17 (no min size listed)

Then under restrictions, it lists:
Restrictions
Area 29 Reminder Only 1 greater than 62 cm.

For example, I catch only one Chinook that is the min 62 cm, but cannot retain that one same Chinook because it is greater then 62 cm, ie: 65 cm?

Not sure if I am reading this right. For Area 29, it lists:

Species regulations
Chinook Salmon
Area 29-1 to 29-5,29-8, 29-6,29-7,29-9,29-10
Min size, 62 cm
29-11 to 29-17 (no min size listed)

Then under restrictions, it lists:
Restrictions
Area 29 Reminder Only 1 greater than 62 cm.

For example, I catch only one Chinook that is the min 62 cm, but cannot retain that one same Chinook because it is greater then 62 cm, ie: 65 cm?

You are allowed one—-just one over 62 cm starting January 1 in area 29. Effectively your daily limit is ONE Chinook.

There was talk about ZERO at one point. The conservation/management measure is to protect early run Chinooks. Imagine you are fishing the Bell Buoy, QA, Hump or mid Strait outside of area 28 in mid-April and you gassed up your boat and headed out with your girl or a fishing pal and you drop in and tag a double header of 12-14 pounders hatchery fish in the first 20 minutes. You bonk both. You must MOVE to Area 28 or Area 17 and hope to get lucky and hit 2 more legal fish despite the fact the SAME fish are what you caught 1-15 miles away and they are NOT Fraser Chinooks.

Anyways, we’ll see what else they come up with for Area 29...areas in area 29 may be closed altogether to retention. That’s a lot of water.

Also, just a reminder that the annual limit is 15 Chinooks total in Area 28 and 29...I know many anglers who enthusiastically post pics in social media and cop to exceeding this limit in the photos they post....they incriminate themselves with their disregard for this regulation.

Last edited:
EF7F92A0-48A5-4E5D-9AFE-2E6D4A449F63.png

Hoping to get out tomorrow. Anyone know of any fuel docks that are open on Boxing Day that serve diesel?? Everyone is closed today and websites are unclear.
Merry Christmas and thanks in advance for your help!!

Hoping to get out tomorrow. Anyone know of any fuel docks that are open on Boxing Day that serve diesel?? Everyone is closed today and websites are unclear.
Merry Christmas and thanks in advance for your help!!

Chevron in Coal Harbour is open I believe.

...let's see what comes out in the wash. Sure would suck if we end up ripping 15 miles to the fishing and can only keep 1 Chinook over 62 cm.

Last edited:
Anyone duck out into the fog today with hot coffee and Baileys? I saw a couple of guys with rods flying leaving False Creek this morning...

Fished the bell bouy and mile markers Monday 10 to 3. Not a sniff. Tried spoons hootchies all depths. Lots bait and arches. Just not biting. Every other boat same results. At least the crabbing was good.

You are allowed one—-just one over 62 cm starting January 1 in area 29. Effectively your daily limit is ONE Chinook.

There was talk about ZERO at one point. The conservation/management measure is to protect early run Chinooks. Imagine you are fishing the Bell Buoy, QA, Hump or mid Strait outside of area 28 in mid-April and you gassed up your boat and headed out with your girl or a fishing pal and you drop in and tag a double header of 12-14 pounders hatchery fish in the first 20 minutes. You bonk both. You must MOVE to Area 28 or Area 17 and hope to get lucky and hit 2 more legal fish despite the fact the SAME fish are what you caught 1-15 miles away and they are NOT Fraser Chinooks.

Anyways, we’ll see what else they come up with for Area 29...areas in area 29 may be closed altogether to retention. That’s a lot of water.

Also, just a reminder that the annual limit is 15 Chinooks total in Area 28 and 29...I know many anglers who enthusiastically post pics in social media and cop to exceeding this limit in the photos they post....they incriminate themselves with their disregard for this regulation.

The regulation you speak of was posted in error. It has now been corrected. Still daily limit of 2 per day greater than 62 cm.

The regulation you speak of was posted in error. It has now been corrected. Still daily limit of 2 per day greater than 62 cm.

Thank Goodness.
Your tax dollars at work......classic government bureaucracy where probably several million dollars in hourly and yearly earnings couldn't detect that "error". Zero accountability is far reaching in the government---let alone DFO.

Thank Goodness.
Your tax dollars at work......classic government bureaucracy where probably several million dollars in hourly and yearly earnings couldn't detect that "error". Zero accountability is far reaching in the government---let alone DFO.
Phoenix pay system that the government has....enough said

Thanks, that error had made no sense when it was originally posted on the DFO site and hence, my questions here up-thread last week.

Launched out of harbour and planned on fishing/crabbing there to avoid outflow forecast in the sound, weather ended up looking good so buzzed to Bowen anyway. Boxed one and seen another at tunstall right away, then seemed slow for an hour so buzzed to grace and watched my fishing partner miss two on his side, third time I didnt wait for him but it was under anyway. Back to Van via NE Bowen with good conditions. Small spoons the ticket today and really didnt see much for bait. Keeper was empty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back