New boat advice...

Waterwolf2230

Hey guys,

I'm beginning to narrow my selection of boats. I'm hoping to get one on order before the end of the month. this is what I've narrowed my selection down to at this point. Please offer any advice or info that you might think will help me. There are some options that I need in the build. I fish mostly on the ECVI but want the ability to head west and perhaps try for tuna down the road. (This is what has me leaning to the 26' RH). I REALLY don't want to spend over $140,000. I have 7 years left until I retire and want to have it paid off by then. I excluded Kingfisher as they ONLY sell boats with Merc's. I have not looked into North River at this point.
  • 24-26' (not including motor/pod)
  • Fully enclosed
  • Transom door entry
  • I like the walk-through design but am not adverse to a cuddy.
So far I've considered the following:

Duckworth Pacific Pro 24' with single Evinrude G2 - 300HP (Dry weight 3500lbs)
Thunderjet Tyee with 2' extension to make 24' with single Evinrude G2 - 300HP (Dry weight 3500lbs)
Riverhawk Sea Hawk Pro Walk-through 24' with single Evinrude G2 - 300HP (Dry weight 4500lbs)
Riverhawk Sea Hawk Pro Walk-through 26' with dual Evinrude G2 - 200HP HO (Dry weight 5500lbs)

The fit and finish on the Duckworth and Thunderjet is pretty awesome. The Thunderjet kills you with options which make it super expensive. The RH seems like a tank compared which I guess is good and bad? Same size boat is 1000lbs heavier so that should handle bigger water better. I guess I just wonder how they get that extra weight in there as they are very similar builds.

I'm kind of set on the G2 platform for engines. The fuel economy, torque, 10 year warranty and they only require 87 octane have me sold.

Some other things I'm looking to have as a part of the install:
  • Evinrude G2 - 15hp HO Kicker
  • Evinrude iDock system
  • Intellisteer (Control for kicker with key FOB) Any feedback on these?
  • Lowrance Carbon 9 with Airmar chirp transducer (considering two of them to simultaneously run two chirp frequencies at the same time)
  • Aftermarket curved LED Light Bars. Does anyone have feedback on a good brand?
  • Shockwave suspension system with Corbin seats
  • Portapotti
  • I don't know much about Auto-Pilots. I've watched videos of guys using the Auto-Pilot to backtroll while jigging which seems like it would be awesome.
Down the road I would like to get a radar setup. Have any of you successfully been able to consistently mark birds on a radar unit? I would think that this would be good for tuna fishing.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Curtis

Stay away from any riverhawk boat unless you fish flat calm lakes. Lots of caved in and cracked hulls. hence the reason for all the lawsuits and name changes of the company ..... good luck on any warranty claims......... bankruptcy seems to be their answer

Airmar makes dual frequency CHIRP in a single housing. I know Garmin has single units that support this; dunno about Lowrance. Single frequency (midrange) may be all you need. Low freq would be for either VERY deep water (Swordfish @ 1500ft) or picking up great bottom characteristics/Halibut.

All the docking solutions require dual engines and independent steering of each engine. A system like this uses a special autopilot without a hydraulic pump. Most docking solutions support the Garmin autopilot. Some of the solutions will allow you to keep the boat on a specific GPS coordinate via throttle/steering operations. Yamaha Helmmaster & Sea Star Optimus are 2 examples.

In general, the open array type of RADAR antenna offers the resolution to mark birds.

https://skagitorca.com/

If it were me in that size range and with your apparent resources, I would go with the Skagit Orca which is arguably the best heavy weather sport boat made. A few years back there was a newer Orca 24 that had been refitted with a new duel prop Diesel for around $85,000. The Hourston 24 and especially the Hourston 26 Sportfisher are also safe, heavy weather sport boats popular with BC Guides.

http://hourstonglascraft.com/Hourston_Glascraft/HOME.html

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/d/boat-26-hourston-sportfisher/6388149044.html

Last edited:
https://skagitorca.com/

If it were me in that size range and with your apparent resources, I would go with the Skagit Orca which is arguably the best heavy weather sport boat made. A few years back there was a newer Orca 24 that had been refitted to a brand new duel prop Diesel for around $85,000. The Hourston 24 and especially the Hourston 26 Sportfisher are also safe, heavy weather sport boats popular with BC Guides.

http://hourstonglascraft.com/Hourston_Glascraft/HOME.html

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/d/boat-26-hourston-sportfisher/6388149044.html
Can they be rigged with dual outboards and a kicker? I've heard really good things about them just thought they were way out of my price range...

Can they be rigged with dual outboards and a kicker? I've heard really good things about them just thought they were way out of my price range...

Don't know about the Orca and main outboards but putting a kicker on one should be possible. If cost is a factor, a newer low hours used boat will save you a lot. Few things depreciate faster than a new ocean sport boat.
If you look at the pictures of the Hourston 26 I posted, it was an older well equipped inboard with two 9.9 Yami kickers. A few of my friends and I went out with a guide at Port Renfrew on a newer 26 custom Hourston with twin main outboards (I think they were twin 150's). It had no problems cutting through some decent size waves at speed. If you are going offshore, twin mains are safer and with two props you can walk the boat sideways when docking. If a main quits 30 miles off shore in building heavy seas, who wants to come in on just a kicker. That said, the Orca I referred to with the new diesel would be a reliable seaworthy boat and I would go offshore in it. I have also been out in Blue Wolfs 26 Sportfisher and like I said they are very good boats popular with guides, - you just feel safe on one. However they do have wood in them and very old ones have been known to rot out stringers etc., unlike the Orca, which is wood free and also has positive flotation, (still floats when swamped and full of water). An Orca is not going to sink out from under you.

Last edited:
You may want to contact "North West" boats in Victoria.Their very popular with west coast guides and they custom build what you want.I don't know how busy they are and how much your build would be,but might be worth a call.

I have a etec 15ho on my Hourston and it's a sweet motor. Runs great, tons of power etc but I wanted to warn you that they are gigantic kickers. They are the size of a 25hp and super heavy so if you are looking to throw 2 mains and a kicker out back it may not be ideal. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

My 26 sportfisher does not have wood stringers they are duo core composite the transom yes and last year had a refit and a VERY well know company did the glass work and transom was solid and best he had seen for a 1991 boat as he said they dont build them like this anymore...
As i had to plug up the hole then re bore it for the new transom shield and motor assembly.

Good luck Wolf

Northwest Aluminum Craft make a great boat. They will do all the aluminum work and let you rig it yourself. That would save you a lot of money and allow you to add more goodies and keep it on budget.

My 26 sportfisher does not have wood stringers they are duo core composite the transom yes and last year had a refit and a VERY well know company did the glass work and transom was solid and best he had seen for a 1991 boat as he said they dont build them like this anymore...
As i had to plug up the hole then re bore it for the new transom shield and motor assembly.

Good luck Wolf

Thanks Roy I did not know that Hourston had moved to composite stringers by 91 on the 26. I was thinking of the thread Albernifisher did on replacing the 1 and one 8th inch wood board stringers on his 26 Hourston Project boat but that hull was from the
70's. Tried searching for it on this site but it just keeps timing out, but did find it elsewhere.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boatin...ringer-glassing-question-printerfriendly.html

Who did you have do the glass work? I may be in need of someone at some point.

Last edited:
Northwest Aluminum Craft make a great boat. They will do all the aluminum work and let you rig it yourself. That would save you a lot of money and allow you to add more goodies and keep it on budget.

Doubt he's going to get a northwest built with the options he's looking for with that budget. I would have a look at Raider boats too. I've been happy with mine. Not the fanciest boat, but it gets the job done. Just finished installing an autopilot, haven't commissioned it on the water yet. Kingfisher is another option to look at too.

I'd steer clear of river hawk boats. They are going bankrupt and their warranty is off limited value.

kingfisher only with mercs??? they have yamaha also!!

T
You may want to contact "North West" boats in Victoria.Their very popular with west coast guides and they custom build what you want.I don't know how busy they are and how much your build would be,but might be worth a call.
Thanks Ray, I'm going to give them a call today.

I’m just not crazy about putting premium fuel into a Verado. That and I’ve had two issues with my Mercury Fourstroke 150 (both on warranty). My power head failed after 2 weeks and had another issue with rpm and power. But I do agree, Gibbons Motor Toys is a great business. I would recommend them to anyone.
That's a very good dealership, they know their stuff. I wouldn't hesitate on a Merc with them. I know Merc corporate sends them stuff from other Alberta shops.

if you contact kingfisher direct and want a build done, they will accomodate , but through one of their brokers... mercs are the fords of the marine industry. yuk.

Back