Replacement engine Volvo Penta

ziggy

Anyone have a recommendation on where to buy a replacement engine. Mine is still working fine but getting up there in years and hours. Can you still buy new or just rebuilt.

Joe at Haney Marine is a good man and when it comes to Volvo....he knows his business

I did a complete refit last year the new 5.3 LS series engine I got ti thru Gartside marine in oakbay thing is awesome direct fuel inject and VTC, saved alot on fuel this year best part 5 year warranty.

Good luck Wolf

I did a complete refit last year the new 5.3 LS series engine I got ti thru Gartside marine in oakbay thing is awesome direct fuel inject and VTC, saved alot on fuel this year best part 5 year warranty.

Good luck Wolf
Thanks Wolf will check it out.

I have a 2001 Volvo SX outdrive, and repowered a few years ago. I installed a Mercruiser as the base engines were the same. I came to hate Volvo as they gouge customers with extreme parts prices. Mercs also appear to be better engineered, with respect the the exhaust system and engine monitoring system.

Thats your opinion mercs look like the still do 20 years ago no new tech knowledgeable advances, Cant go wrong with LS engines as they have been proven over and over maybe do some research before you say something bad about NEW engineered stuff.... IMO.

I repowered just before cat converters were introduced to boat engines, so I cannot say what has happened since then. Mercs have an excellent Guardian System which I really like. When the raw water pressure/flow gets low, the system reduces rpms to a max of 2500. So rather then overheating the engine if there is an impeller or intake issue, it gives an alarm and forces a lower speed. There are other scenarios that would activate the guardian system.

Also they went to a dry flange exhaust system. There are no water passages at the manifold to riser/extension mating surfaces. Traditionally these would have to be disassembled periodically and cleaner, possibly replaced. With the dry flange design, that problem completely went away. The only upgrade I would otherwise like is a distributorless ignition.

I know Volvo has gone to an aluminum block, which may be excellent. I think this is a great idea. However Volvo has put out some very poor products in the past and I would not buy a new model engine until it had been out for a few years. As to parts prices, they are 2x to 3x what Merc charges for many items, and Volvo often designs things so that the parts are not available aftermarket. They change their parts designs on a regular basis so Sierra and other manufacturers do not make replacement parts, as the numbers sold would not be profitable. A company like that I will not support. I worked as a marine mechanic for 20 years, and I have extensive experience with Volvo.

Last edited:
The same can be said for Honda outboards,crazy replacement parts costs but great motor's until you need to fix something.

Back