Hydraulic hoses

ryanb

Hi. Just bought an autopilot and need some short hydraulic hoses to tee in the pump to my existing steering system. Is it better to get some made, or would I be better off using the reusable fittings.

These are all made of mild steel I think, and while the pump will be in my pilothouse, I'm not sure about the durability of these in a saltwater environment.

Anything else I should be aware of for anyone that has installed one of these systems before? Definitely going to be the most complicated DIY project I've undertaken so far.

If you are near a hydraulic shop that deals with Parker fittings you can get plastic lines made up with stainless or brass fittings.

what system are you installing? i use seastar lines, really not to expensive on ebay

I believe that different fittings have different hose type requirements. It seems typical of marine stuff that this type of info is difficult to find which helps the marine industry bottom line. What does the install manual say on this?

The threads on the Autopilot pump and the helm are 3/8” compression fittings. Buy the sea star hoses and save yourself a whole lot of headache. Trust me, I do this for a living.

Where were you last week? Haha. After all kinds of headaches trying to get this system together... I ended up buying the seastar hoses a couple days ago...

Silly expensive for a 6' hose.

Back