Atlantic salmon blood through an effluent pipe - directly into Brown’s Bay

cohochinook

This was sent to me by Emilie Piry the Operations Manager at Good Hope Cannery. It just infuriating to watch what our Federal and Provincial Government is allowing salmon farmers to do in our oceans and putting wild salmon at risk of disease:

Here's what Emily shared with me:

"I’m reaching out about the wild Pacific salmon put at risk every day by the hundreds of thousands of Atlantic salmon - 80% of which carry the infectious disease, Piscine Reovirus - farmed in the samewaters.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/…/b-c-fish-processors-spewing-potenti…

On two recent investigative dive in Browns’ Bay, BC and in Tofino, BC,

Tavish Campbell found and filmed a catastrophic discovery. Fish farms are pumping a steady stream of raw Atlantic salmon blood through an effluent pipe - directly into Brown’s Bay with juvenile chum and pink salmon congregating just a couple hundred feet away - and this was only what they found at the first location.

Watch the full video to see what they found pouring into downtown Tofino waters"

PLEASE SHARE THIS VIDEO AND CONTACT YOUR MLA and MP if it CONCERNS YOU!

https://vimeo.com/238445419

Disgusting, these Norwegian a**holes have to treat the blood in their own country, but in ours they just dump it untreated into the environment. It just shows how little these companies care about the BC environment. I'm sure this goes on at all the plant locations. They get the profits, we get a few jobs, and of course the viruses, sea lice and environmental degradation they cause. Maybe this outrage will be the catalyst for change, but then again the industry has deep pockets and knows how to grease the machines of government. Expect the Norwegian companies spin doctors to be spouting lies any time now in response.

Hello Fish farm supporters - would you like to provide reasons why this practice by your industry is acceptable? Please speak up for the industry you support!

It didn't take long for the packer to respond. They claim the effluent is treated for viruses, and just looks red.If this is true they should have no problem letting the CTV crew who did the report into the plant to see the treatment system working, and providing some samples for independent testing. I'm thinking they will not do either.

http://www.brownsbaypacking.com/

Last edited:
Hello Fish farm supporters - would you like to provide reasons why this practice by your industry is acceptable? Please speak up for the industry you support!
Its not acceptable for anyone including sport fishers to release blood and guts into the ocean. Wild/enhanced salmon carry just as many viruses including prv as do farmed salmon. The video's lacks context when it does not address blood release from all users. What I find even worse is blood release in rivers and streams. Its a totally accepted practice and to me it is very very wrong.

But this is supposed to be all about fish farms so those who see through the tunnel, carry on. Im not sure what the industry response will be but mine certainly isn't its.

Wild salmon do carry many of the non-introduced native diseases (e.g. IHN), as well as the now introduced European/Norwegian diseases like PRv and ISAv - unfortunately. The problem is magnified by the amount of material processed through the plant (verses sportsfishing cleaning of fish) - and the fact that the industry is yet again moving those potential disease-causing organisms around geographically.

Wild salmon do carry many of the non-introduced native diseases (e.g. IHN), as well as the now introduced European/Norwegian diseases like PRv and ISAv - unfortunately. The problem is magnified by the amount of material processed through the plant (verses sportsfishing cleaning of fish) - and the fact that the industry is yet again moving those potential disease-causing organisms around geographically.
This comment is based on the assumption that none of these plants treat their effluent to be free of living biological material which simply isn't true. What is lacking here is quantification.
I would think releasing blood from sport caught fish in every creek and river system where every sport/commercial/ceremonial salmon are retained is by far more the most effective distribution of viruses.
In this thread we will continue to see the issue steered away from it as a whole and only a focus on fish farms. Shame.

So, where do ALL the sports and commercial fish guts and blood go?

Where do ALL the fish go when they die in the rivers?

Where did all the fish guts and blood go when there were cannerys all over the coast?

Not advocating for any fisherman to clean his fish and dump the guts in the river. However, if he did - there is a good chance that the native, resident fish present had been already exposed to that disease pathogen - and possibly already built an immunity or at least a resistance (either genetically and/or by host defenses) to that potential pathogen.

Once you start transporting fish - and then cleaning them at a site some distance from the original capture - you greatly increase the chance of introducing a new, novel disease to a new, novel environment. Add to that large quantities (and red discharges means hemoglobin - blood) - you increase the risk of a pathogen being in that discharge and viable and infective. Risk is a consequence of the multiplication of consequence times (x) interaction - both are elevated in this scenario - FF plant or otherwise.

To suggest it is the same as a fisherman cleaning his single fish at the riverside is both absurd and deflective.

Where do you think ALL the sport and commercial fish are cleaned?

We are talking about thousands if fish, not one or two.

Not advocating for any fisherman to clean his fish and dump the guts in the river. However, if he did - there is a good chance that the native, resident fish present had been already exposed to that disease pathogen - and possibly already built an immunity or at least a resistance (either genetically and/or by host defenses) to that potential pathogen.

Once you start transporting fish - and then cleaning them at a site some distance from the original capture - you greatly increase the chance of introducing a new, novel disease to a new, novel environment. Add to that large quantities (and red discharges means hemoglobin - blood) - you increase the risk of a pathogen being in that discharge and viable and infective. Risk is a consequence of the multiplication of consequence times (x) interaction - both are elevated in this scenario - FF plant or otherwise.

To suggest it is the same as a fisherman cleaning his single fish at the riverside is both absurd and deflective.
Where

Where do you think ALL the sport and commercial fish are cleaned? We are talking about thousands if fish, not one or two. Where
Not saying/defending that all sportfish catch cleaning is necessarily "good" - but where there is a processor involved - we are talking about tens - if not thousands of thousands of pounds of commercial fish being caught elsewhere - from possibly many locations and likely at some distances from the plant - being processed. You did see my comments about disease resistance and comparable risks - did you not?

And dumping that effluent directly in the path of virtually all the outmigrating smolts, of all the species of Fraser River salmon. The world has gone mad.....

Interesting, I never thought about the dangers of dumping blood and guts from fish back into the ocean. I can see how tons of farmed fish blood and guts might cause a problem.
My Grandpa and Dad always taught me to put all shells, fins, guts ect “back from whence it came”. I always thought I was doing the right thing!!

Not saying/defending that all sportfish catch cleaning is necessarily "good" - but where there is a processor involved - we are talking about tens - if not thousands of thousands of pounds of commercial fish being caught elsewhere - from possibly many locations and likely at some distances from the plant - being processed. You did see my comments about disease resistance and comparable risks - did you not?

Ok agent. On moment sport fishing is this big industry the next its just one guy cleaning his fish on the side of the river. Which is it? Its telling how on the fish farm front of this issue you DEMAND peer reviews science and inflate the idea of risk as large as posable but on this camp(sport, commie and ceremonial fishing) you casually imply that one guy cleaning a fish on the side of the river is what is going on and its not a big deal.

Am I the only person that sees through this individual?

Where is your science and your links to support you ideas on this view of yours? I suspect there isn't any but you have no issue with that somehow. It's magical how you can just flip a switch on the science front when an idea is brought forward that doesn't suit your intentions.

Wild fish have prv THE VIRUS as well so your idea about original capture point is limp.

Should sport fishing be shut down until there is peer reviewed science that bleeding fish etc in rivers does less than minimal harm to wild fish? Who is going to pay for this? DFO cant apparently be trusted.

Shall I go on?

Interesting, I never thought about the dangers of dumping blood and guts from fish back into the ocean. I can see how tons of farmed fish blood and guts might cause a problem.
My Grandpa and Dad always taught me to put all shells, fins, guts ect “back from whence it came”. I always thought I was doing the right thing!!

Ha, in this case that would be a lab in Iceland.

Ok agent. On moment sport fishing is this big industry the next its just one guy cleaning his fish on the side of the river. Which is it? Its telling how on the fish farm front of this issue you DEMAND peer reviews science and inflate the idea of risk as large as posable but on this camp(sport, commie and ceremonial fishing) you casually imply that one guy cleaning a fish on the side of the river is what is going on and its not a big deal.

Am I the only person that sees through this individual?

Where is your science and your links to support you ideas on this view of yours? I suspect there isn't any but you have no issue with that somehow. It's magical how you can just flip a switch on the science front when an idea is brought forward that doesn't suit your intentions.

Wild fish have prv THE VIRUS as well so your idea about original capture point is limp.

Should sport fishing be shut down until there is peer reviewed science that bleeding fish etc in rivers does less than minimal harm to wild fish? Who is going to pay for this? DFO cant apparently be trusted.

Shall I go on?

You have lost the plot and are on a roll, no rational person will get in your way.
Cleared for takeoff!!

The proffessional reliance model at work. You can blame the former liberal government. They allowed them to do it and BC most likely doesn't monitor the farms as part of the permitting process. This another example why this needs to be on radar.

Back