Fish Farm trouble in BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your point? Anytime a large number of individuals are living together, whether it be human city, or a net pen of of 100,000 fish, their collective waste is harmful to the immediate environment. Sewage is the wastewater from human settlements, and includes anything sent down the toilet or sink. The main toxic component is human waste, but there is paper and a host of other substances that can be included. The waste from a fish farm is technically not sewage, but it is also primarily waste products from an animal (and uneaten food waste). The toxicity of the fish waste is not a function of its composition, but rather its concentration. At low concentrations, waste products can be beneficial as fertilizers for plant species, but as the concentration increases they can cause overgrowth of plant matter, and are directly toxic to living organisms in higher concentrations.
My point? Quite clear I thought. Chicken waste is chicken poop, cow waste I cow poop, fish waste is fish poop. There is no sewage in them, unless you have something that shows sewage is present in fish poop?

Stop calling it something that it isn't. Unless you can show a sewage component?

Nice picture in the first link. Question where is this farm and what role does it have? How does this have an impact on whether farms should be removed here in the pacific region. Have you read and understood the placement policies for fish farms here. I do not believe there are many ( maybe one or two) farms that are place shallow enough to dive with scuba gear. Can we elaborate on that east coast farm?

You've only shown active licenses, where the map on active sites? There should only be roughly 86 dots not 130.... Thats roughly 50 dots less
I think the most informative map would show biomass and/or fish numbers per site.

Nice picture in the first link. Question where is this farm and what role does it have? How does this have an impact on whether farms should be removed here in the pacific region. Have you read and understood the placement policies for fish farms here. I do not believe there are many ( maybe one or two) farms that are place shallow enough to dive with scuba gear. Can we elaborate on that east coast farm?
The Sea Lice Infested Disease Riddled open net Fish Farms are all under DFO jurisdiction. Environmental assessments if they took place annually would obligate the government to act. Do you agree that the amount of ***** under the Fish Farm is disgusting?
The 2002 monitoring report clearly states the site as being “anoxic”10. It describes the site as follows:

"Evidence of organic loading beneath the cages was identified during the survey. The source of this organic overloading appears to be the combination of waste feed, fecal matter and fouling organisms falling from the cages structures. The accumulation and degradation of this materials has results in widespread sea floor 'souring'".

There is a section in this short video that shows us what this untreated fish sewage (oops, I mean ****) is made of.

There is a section in this short video that shows us what this untreated fish sewage (oops, I mean ****) is made of.

Lmao...... The standard response " it was by the anti fish farm community so..." Right AA? Also please, please explain to me where fish food from fish and oil can compared to sewage? Hahaha funny..... Says right in the video fish food is fish and oil.

My point? Quite clear I thought. Chicken waste is chicken poop, cow waste I cow poop, fish waste is fish poop. There is no sewage in them, unless you have something that shows sewage is present in fish poop?

Stop calling it something that it isn't. Unless you can show a sewage component?

Why don't you read my post, I outline the technical definition of sewage which is wastewater from human settlements, so technically the waste from a fish farm is not sewage since its not waste water. Chicken poop, cow poop, human poop, fish poop. If it discharged in high quantities where other organisms live it is toxic. Do you really not believe that? Post #323 has some evidence on the sea floor below a net pen.

Lmao...... The standard response " it was by the anti fish farm community so..." Right AA? Also please, please explain to me where fish food from fish and oil can compared to sewage? Hahaha funny..... Says right in the video fish food is fish and oil.

Do you really think your doing a service to your fish farm supporters?
umh, where or who compared fish food from fish and fish oil to sewage? You do understand there is more in their food than fish and fish oil don't you? And you do understand that what comes out the other end isn't always the same as what went in... ? Maybe you wouldn't mind living under the steady stream of bacteria, viruses, parasites, pesticides and pharmaceutical drug residue that these farms expel into our oceans and ocean floors. I know I would. Did you know that some countries use lined funnels under their fish farms that collect into a large pipe and are pumped up into a ship so the wastewater can be treated? This is to help the de-oxygenating of the waters and inlets the farms are located in. And often these inlets still become de-oxygenated and die. And I believe most on land fish farms treat there wastewater also. google is your friend. https://www.google.ca/search?dcr=0&...LXAhUX62MKHVEYDiEQ1QIIigEoAg&biw=1267&bih=653
seems the fish farms on this coast are getting a free ride at the health of our wild salmon and environment.
I have to say, having you on this forum is awesome bones! It just strengthens the resolve of those that see these open net pen fish farms for what they are. And it shows some of the ways certain fish farm advocates think...:confused:

Last edited:
Why don't you read my post, I outline the technical definition of sewage which is wastewater from human settlements, so technically the waste from a fish farm is not sewage since its not waste water. Chicken poop, cow poop, human poop, fish poop. If it discharged in high quantities where other organisms live it is toxic. Do you really not believe that? Post #323 has some evidence on the sea floor below a net pen.
I did read your post..... You asked a question I answered it......." What's your point?" My short answer " its not sewage, stop calling it what It isn't"
Unless you have some kind of paper for a lab that says it's harmful. This isn't this hard.

R
Do you really think your doing a service to your fish farm supporters?
umh, where or who compared fish food from fish and fish oil to sewage? You do understand there is more in their food than fish and fish oil don't you? And you do understand that what comes out the other end isn't always the same as what went in... ? Maybe you wouldn't mind living under the steady stream of bacteria, viruses, parasites, pesticides and pharmaceutical drug residue that these farms expel into our oceans and ocean floors. I know I would. Did you know that some countries use lined funnels under their fish farms that collect into a large pipe and are pumped up into a ship so the wastewater can be treated? This is to help the de-oxygenating of the waters and inlets the farms are located in. And often these inlets still become de-oxygenated and die. And I believe most on land fish farms treat there wastewater also. google is your friend. https://www.google.ca/search?dcr=0&...LXAhUX62MKHVEYDiEQ1QIIigEoAg&biw=1267&bih=653
seems the fish farms on this coast are getting a free ride at the health of our wild salmon and environment.
Having you on this forum is awesome bones! It just strengthens the resolve of those that see these open net pen fish farms for what they are. And it shows some of the ways certain fish farm advocates think...:confused:
Really what's in fish food? Could you please answer the standard question " how are fish farms hurting wild salmon populations on the west coast of Vancouver island?" People want to know, not just me. I have phoned and asked a fish head that works within the private sector. This was his first and only question. He/she also asked tho question to DFO at there last meeting and DFO had the same response. How do fish farms affect west coast or north coast wild salmon stocks? If your looking to end fish farming industry you would think you could connect all the dots wouldn't you?

Could you please explain how fish farms are hurting wild salmon stocks within Vancouver area when studies show that most smolts dont escape the estuary where they were released ..... Please I've ask many many time dog and you refuse to answer.....
Enlighten a stupid person like me. How so?

R
Really what's in fish food? Could you please answer the standard question " how are fish farms hurting wild salmon populations on the west coast of Vancouver island?" People want to know, not just me. I have phoned and asked a fish head that works within the private sector. This was his first and only question. He/she also asked tho question to DFO at there last meeting and DFO had the same response. How do fish farms affect west coast or north coast wild salmon stocks? If your looking to end fish farming industry you would think you could connect all the dots wouldn't you?

where's the slap head emoji when you need one...? lol,

I did read your post..... You asked a question I answered it......." What's your point?" My short answer " its not sewage, stop calling it what It isn't" Unless you have some kind of paper for a lab that says it's harmful. This isn't this hard.
Maybe the word you are struggling to find is "faecal coliforms", BN? Fish do poo - it is called poop - sewerage if it is industrialized - but - fish are pokliotherms - no E. Coli...

ome
Cohen to hear whether sea lice are impacting Fraser sockeye

Published on 2011 09 02 | by Raincoast | in Press Releases

Media Release: September 2, 2011

A Raincoast scientist is scheduled to testify at the Cohen Commission September 6 on a study that showed the first link between salmon farms and elevated levels of sea lice on juvenile Fraser River sockeye salmon…
I guess you need to see the pictures again.
Hard to trust a photo like that when you see two fingers off to the side.

Hard to trust a photo like that when you see two fingers off to the side.

Strange you should post the above Dave. Am I missing something.
There are no shortage of sea lice photos and you know it!
Most anyone on the site can send you more Sea Lice photos if you need to see them.
Sorry, but gota say many of the posts on this thread have become ridiculous and mostly those from the Fish Farm guys.
Just the way I see it.
image_18244.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back