Help with strain and sex identification

Mibson

can anyone help with strain and sex identification?
I know its a rainbow, but I don't know how to tell strain.
Its been dead for 6-7 hrs (might be obvious)

I'm 98% sure its male; I'm not very experienced with sex and strain IDs

Last edited:
That’s a large rainbow that I would say is a male based on the large/long head. Killing a fish that you can’t ID is as bad as poaching as far as I’m concerned. Lucky for you it’s not a closed species that you’re posting on the net!

Cheers!

Ukee

I said "strain" not "species" !!!! You should learn the difference yourself!

I know that it was a rainbow for 100% certain, and I read the regs so I knew 100% it was a legal fish, so tone down your accusations!

Can anyone help me with strain?

Last edited:
Mabel Lake isn’t stocked, they’re wild strain Shuswap/South Thompson fish that migrate throughout the Shuswap system (Shu, Mara, Mabel)

Cheers!

Ukee

Thanks Ziggy! however I cant tell with these pics and descriptions. And according to stocking reports Mabel is not stocked....
The one I caught does seem to resemble a Gerrard, but I'm just not experienced with strain IDs....
No problem, thought it might help discription wise. Probably though only a few strains to pick from.?Not an expert though.

If it's in an unstocked lake it is that lakes natural fish genetics or "strain".

Lakes that are stocked by the ffsbc are stocked with fish from a captive brood stock that have originally come from specific lakes or system which is what they derive the name of that strain from, be it blackwater, pennask, Fraser valley, horsefly etc.

Back