So Where Can A Person Find Sole This Big?

Dogbreath

I'll certainly eat Sole if someone else will cook it but never caught one that wasn't a finicky little pain to clean-then I saw this bruiser resting on ice at Granville Island Market- a real meal!

20171023_094921[1].jpg

If it tastes anything like flounder it should be delicious...

That is really an amazing filleting job on that sole--a true work of art!! I'm going to have to try that-I usually fillet like hali but that is the whole side!!

Yes that's an awesome fillet job on that sole. I will also have to try that as I also usually fillet like a Hali as Spring Fever mentioned. We caught a flounder this year that was this big or maybe bigger. Biggest we have caught out of Prince Rupert yet. Was a bit of a surprise when we seen it coming in the boat. It was a couple meals on one fish.

Oly

gotta be a petrale sole. they fish them commercial out of washington and oregon and i would assume BC as well. They get quite big, have got a few while fishing wcvi and QCI for hali on deeper sandy spots, some almost the same size as a small chicken halibut.

gotta be a petrale sole. they fish them commercial out of washington and oregon and i would assume BC as well. They get quite big, have got a few while fishing wcvi and QCI for hali on deeper sandy spots, some almost the same size as a small chicken halibut.
If I have the grand kids over I usually put a small jig tipped with clam or squid and fish over sandy bottom in 150 ft or more-sometimes we get sole but mostly flounder and the odd surprise of a chicken hali or the kids fav-- a dogfish!

I've fished flounder with my father in law on the east coast a few times. They use hand lines in about 30 to 50 feet of water in the bay of fundy. They look for a sandy bottom (not hard to find...lol) but also look for areas that have a bit of green sea grass for some reason. They can find those area's at low tide then fish them when the tide comes up. They also dig clams beforehand and use the clams (small pieces) for bait. They can catch 20 or 30 in a couple hrs if the fish are around. average maybe only 2 or 3 pounds each. They get the odd ray when fishing them but they are thrown back.
When he fillets them he does it all in one piece on each side as shown in the pic. but he then cuts the fillet into strips to fry in a beer batter. Tastes better than halibut the way he does it imo. He can process (fillet) 3 in the time it takes me to do one. flounder strips and breaded clams... and maybe a lobster or 2 if they're in season to round out the meal.
Oh, and some of the best scallops in the world come from about an hr away in advocate harbour. Some of the larger ones I swear are the size of hockey pucks... And so sweet. fresh out of the shell and fried in beer is the only way to have them imo.

Last edited:
My son caught a sole over 4# a few years ago off of Nootka. I have also seen kids in Port Hardy catching large Starry Flounders off the docks.

A
I've fished flounder with my father in law on the east coast a few times. They use hand lines in about 30 to 50 feet of water in the bay of fundy. They look for a sandy bottom (not hard to find...lol) but also look for areas that have a bit of green sea grass for some reason. They can find those area's at low tide then fish them when the tide comes up. They also dig clams beforehand and use the clams (small pieces) for bait. They can catch 20 or 30 in a couple hrs if the fish are around. average maybe only 2 or 3 pounds each. They get the odd ray when fishing them but they are thrown back.
When he fillets them he does it all in one piece on each side as shown in the pic. but he then cuts the fillet into strips to fry in a beer batter. Tastes better than halibut the way he does it imo. He can process (fillet) 3 in the time it takes me to do one. flounder strips and breaded clams... and maybe a lobster or 2 if they're in season to round out the meal.
Oh, and some of the best scallops in the world come from about an hr away in advocate harbour. Some of the larger ones I swear are the size of hockey pucks... And so sweet. fresh out of the shell and fried in beer is the only way to have them imo.
Amen brother! I would kill for some East Coast fried clams-especially from Johns lunch in Dartmouth!!!

A friend caught what looked like a small halibut while we were jigging at Constance the other day.It was about 3-4 lbs.but the outside fringe fins were striped (dark-light coloured) and the skin was rough.WE thought it was a Pacific flounder but not sure,it went back anyways.

That likely is a Petrail Sole or more commonly known to fisherman as a Brill. You can catch them in deeper water off the big bank, I used to trawl for them. They are my favorite sole to eat in terms of flavour. Tend to like sandy bottoms

Not the greatest eaters
You got that right Fishtofino. Starry flounders frequently have a distinct iodine taste ( I have also hear it described as a ammonia smell too ) They are also soft fleshed. So many other good flat fish out there, so I release all the starry flounder I get , or use them for crab bait.

Back