Run from Rupert across to Sandspit

Chuck

Next summer looking at making the run across to Sandspit then through the narrows and fish the outside of Haida. Cartwright Sound area.
Anyone have experience making the run? Also, ie. fuel, groc, shower etc. or any general knowledge.
Would also be interested to buddy boat to make the run across.

Thanks,

Next summer looking at making the run across to Sandspit then through the narrows and fish the outside of Haida. Cartwright Sound area.
Anyone have experience making the run? Also, ie. fuel, groc, shower etc. or any general knowledge.
Would also be interested to buddy boat to make the run across.

Thanks,
I've made the run from PR to QC many times in a 65' commercial boat and always checked the weather (should be OK in summer). Its over 200 km usually with a ground swell as well a wind-Hecate Str is mostly relatively shallow so waves can pile up quickly. QC narrows can be a challenge since the sandbars change from year to yr-watch the kelp! get your fuel,groc,ice inQC. Good luck.

I've made the run from PR to QC many times in a 65' commercial boat and always checked the weather (should be OK in summer). Its over 200 km usually with a ground swell as well a wind-Hecate Str is mostly relatively shallow so waves can pile up quickly. QC narrows can be a challenge since the sandbars change from year to yr-watch the kelp! get your fuel,groc,ice inQC. Good luck.
Bring a spare prop! As Captmike said, narrows constantly change and have to watch the tides. Many of local outfits run jetboats(so they don't have to worry about running through on the ebb) w/kickers for trolling once through the narrows.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the same thing for next year. Possibly early July. Interested to hear what advice folks have.

It cost a fortune to bring the boat across on the ferry.

I've thought of it but that's quite along ways over open water and that strait can get pretty windy. Would feel more comfortable taking a ferry across but prob mucho dollars... don't think I'd want to go without a buddy boat.

I've thought of it but that's quite along ways over open water and that strait can get pretty windy. Would feel more comfortable taking a ferry across but prob mucho dollars... don't think I'd want to go without a buddy boat.
Agree 100%

Never thaught I would look but I did.Your buddy boat is the ferries at 8 hours from rupert to gwaii terminals .distance 93 miles .Half the distance to Gwii fom rupert is 50' of water.Ran nawitty bar and the water stacked up 20' high and had to plow through the waves.south end of poarcher is 115 miles with differant tack to wind and skidgate and no buddy boat being the ferrie.good luck.lord hates a coward,fools seldom differ.FC

Never thaught I would look but I did.Your buddy boat is the ferries at 8 hours from rupert to gwaii terminals .distance 93 miles .Half the distance to Gwii fom rupert is 50' of water.Ran nawitty bar and the water stacked up 20' high and had to plow through the waves.south end of poarcher is 115 miles with differant tack to wind and skidgate and no buddy boat being the ferrie.good luck.lord hates a coward,fools seldom differ.FC

FC, good thing your the most intelligent person on here!! Good on ya.. Appreciate your informative input!!

My understanding is that the indigenous of old generally did the crossing at night when winds were more slack-I did it twice in the dark with the old Charlotte Explorer and it was flat as a pancake no excitement at all.

Well said. It went from a thought to, the ferry anit that much after all. What I like about this forum is getting to hear from experienced folks.

Can also be more pleasant runs across the Strait. And when applied with great caution risks are reduced. Hence the need to gather as much experienced knowledge as possible, then make an educated decision.

if you do it at night , make sure the commercial crab season is not open.
As its a mine field of trap bouys.
Even in daylight its a constant job at the helm to avoid the trap bouys...Thousands of them.

if you do it at night , make sure the commercial crab season is not open.
As its a mine field of trap bouys. Even in daylight its a constant job at the helm to avoid the trap bouys...Thousands of them.
4 sure, CH! Every few years a boat catches a string of crab gear on their stabilizers and gets turned over and sinks...

2018 run and fee schedule out mid Nov. which might have an increase. So towing my boat I'm looking at somewhere in the $1975.00 + taxes return. Also, 8-9 hrs each way.

Making the run would definatly be more economical and timely but possibly not the smartest decision! Will need more info or require a last minute decision based on weather window and keep option #1 open to do the ferry if necessary.. Option #2: If all goes sideways, Fish Rupert!! Works either way and I'd be happy with that!!

Chuck
Maybe when I was young and fearless I'd consider doing something like that just for the fun of it, but somehow I don't thinks so.
Way too many great places to fish on the West Coast of Vancouver Island and a lot easier to get to.
Just my 2 cents
Stosh

Chuck
Maybe when I was young and fearless I'd consider doing something like that just for the fun of it, but somehow I don't thinks so.
Way too many great places to fish on the West Coast of Vancouver Island and a lot easier to get to.
Just my 2 cents
Stosh

Haida Gwaii is incomparable to anywhere on Vancouver island IMHO. Wildlife , scenery , fishing , the local Haida culture is unforgettable .

Hey
I'm not saying it's a great place to see. I've been there a couple of times and would love to go back again, but not in a small boat running from Rupert. There are safer ways to get there.
Stosh

Back