Prop Guard

oguard

Hi all, Looking for recommendations for a prop guard for my Merc prokicker.
TIA
Mike

Don't buy the wide kind, get the thin round one. We had issues with the wide one on the tilt in a following sea getting caught by a wave with enough force to crack where it attaches to the plate on the leg.
T2.

Don't buy the wide kind, get the thin round one. We had issues with the wide one on the tilt in a following sea getting caught by a wave with enough force to crack where it attaches to the plate on the leg.
T2.

I haven't had one back of ours with that issue. Sold many of them. I only have seen it if it isn't attached to the skeg. But even still lots of guys run them without attachment and rarely have an issue. With a round one same thing is going to happen if has no skeg attachment point.

Might be the configuration of our kicker mount (this is on the kicker). We've had no issues since switching to the thin kind.
T2

Have never run one. Seen lots of broken cav plates from wood getting sucked and then jammed in there..potential for other damage to with engine being stopped so quickly.

Thanks for the input Gents. I ended up making one myself. Spring Velocity, your product looks awesome!

Mike

I have always had one on my Yamaha T8 high thrust, its the wide one and its never failed thousands of hours on it and a must to have preventing down rigger cables etc from getting hung up.

Is anyone on this site using one of these types of Prop Guards? I am curious if they will actually provide more propulsion that the single band ones. I know that Kort nozzles on a tug improve their performance significantly.

images

if they will actually provide more propulsion

I don't think you can ever get MORE propulsion out of a prop guard, in fact if anything pretty sure they slightly reduce propulsion while protecting the prop. That design looks overkill to me, and likely costs way more than the standard prop guards.

That design looks like it may help keep wood from getting jammed into the prop. If nothing else at least that might be worth it.

Oly

How a Marine Nozzle Works
To obtain the most thrust, a propeller must move as much water as possible in a given time. A nozzle will assist the propeller in doing this, especially when a high thrust is needed at a low ship speed. As we already know, as the propeller blades rotate in the water, they generate high-pressure areas behind each blade and low pressure areas in front, and it is this pressure differential that provides the force to drive the vessel. However, losses occur at the tip of each blade as water escapes from the high pressure side of the blade to the low pressure side, resulting in little benefit in terms of pushing the vessel forward. The presence of a close fitting duct around the propeller reduces these loses by restricting water flow to the propeller tips. Up to 40% of the total thrust is generated by the nozzle itself and is transmitted directly to the hull.

Back