2017 Port Renfrew Reports

Nice fish, and I hear yellowtail are good eating. Take away the colour and both these fish look very similar, too difficult to distinguish from the pictures. Jack mackerel and yellow tail are both in the Carangidae family. Maybe the fish in question is a juvenile yellowtail and not a jack mackerel? Either way I'd eat it.
The fish in post #105 has the S-shaped lateral line that's characteristic of a jack mackeral. The yellow tail does not.

you back,any moose??
Was up checking trail cams and for bow season, was way toooo hot, did get a cranker whitetail buck on the cams and got charged by a black bear and had to spin him around at 20ft:eek:

Hello all,

A friend wants to come over from Vancouver and fish Renfrew on October 11th for a day or two. Will this be too late for the main run of Coho ? I live in Sooke and we could just stay and fish here as an alternative.

Thanks for any input.

When we come out to Renfrew Oct 6-8th, any must haves I should be using for spoons/gear/flashers for Coho in the area?

Sept 26: Coho are on the outside, and are all over the place depth-wise. Guys catching at all depths 25' 50' 90' 140'. Shallower was better. No big ones caught for us, but they're around. Also caught a dozen mackerel and a dozen shakers - wouldn't bother fishing bait. Ace-High Fly with a short leader did best, but they bit everything.

Spent the day looking for Coho yesterday. Hoked into 2 real fish and lost them both. Lots of shakers! And while we didn't have Chris73 on board to jug up another 20lb Spring we did manage to find this Mackerel (sp) in about 400 feet of water near the surface. Chatter on the radio was there were lots out there too.

upload_2017-9-28_11-25-25.pngupload_2017-9-28_11-25-25.png

Back