2017 Tofino Reports

Nice work bud. Yeah those Robertson fish are coming in hard! We were 15/24 on Saturday
Good work buddy, pulled the boat yesterday, cleaning her up today, time to go hunting, good luck to you and Derby on the rest of your season!!

First two fish to the boat today were clipped Coho so they got bonked. Went through some smaller fish and ended up with 3 decent clipped Chinook and 1 not quite as decent chinook. All in the same area.

Still been steady with Chinooks offshore around the Hyson bank. Getting the Whites now, lots of Cohos too.

Still been steady with Chinooks offshore around the Hyson bank. Getting the Whites now, lots of Cohos too.

Hi Guys,

We have our boat (19') in Ucluelet for the next 4 days. Can anyone recommend any area to concentrate on for those new to these waters?

I understand Newcombe channel and Torquart Bay may be worth a jog. Honestly I'm shooting in the dark though.

We'd be targeting Chinook, coho and lings if the regs permit. We understand Hali is closed.

We'll be looking for moorage in Ucluelet as well.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    856.3 KB · Views: 38
Weather looks good offshore for th, fri, sat. with light wind and a tiny swell. So I'd try one or two of the closer off shore spots- South Bank or Outer Lighthouse or even Southwest corner on the first day. Then try the Gibraltar/Swale side of the Broken Group the next day if that doesn't pan out. Out from shore in Imperial Eagle Channel might be ok. Probably mostly cohos.
There are a few lings on the Seaward side of the Broken Group in the rockpiles. Lots of them are a centimeter under.
I've never fished there in September and I don't know how many guides still have bookings. Generally, but not always in Ucluelet, if there are no guides fishing where you are, you could be doing better elsewhere. See if they turn right, left, or go straight out at daybreak when they exit the harbour. Good luck.

Hyson is aka amoeba/starfish & is centered about N49.00.958 W125.58.038 Troll the 16o- 180 ft ledges of the bank. Last time i fished this in Sept a 6" Coyote Cop Car w/o flasher worked well. Same goes for S/W Corner. Island West office SHOULD have all these spots marked on the wall.
There is a hatchery on the same inlet Ucluelet is on; these fish come-in about now. Little Beach to the Light House can be good - only a few minutes from the harbor.

Weather looks good offshore for th, fri, sat. with light wind and a tiny swell. So I'd try one or two of the closer off shore spots- South Bank or Outer Lighthouse or even Southwest corner on the first day. Then try the Gibraltar/Swale side of the Broken Group the next day if that doesn't pan out. Out from shore in Imperial Eagle Channel might be ok. Probably mostly cohos.
There are a few lings on the Seaward side of the Broken Group in the rockpiles. Lots of them are a centimeter under.
I've never fished there in September and I don't know how many guides still have bookings. Generally, but not always in Ucluelet, if there are no guides fishing where you are, you could be doing better elsewhere. See if they turn right, left, or go straight out at daybreak when they exit the harbour. Good luck.

Much appreciated, thank you for taking the time.

Hyson is aka amoeba/starfish & is centered about N49.00.958 W125.58.038 Troll the 16o- 180 ft ledges of the bank. Last time i fished this in Sept a 6" Coyote Cop Car w/o flasher worked well. Same goes for S/W Corner. Island West office SHOULD have all these spots marked on the wall.
There is a hatchery on the same inlet Ucluelet is on; these fish come-in about now. Little Beach to the Light House can be good - only a few minutes from the harbor.

Thank you!

All, Thanks again for pointers.We ended up fishing most of the suggested areas leaving us with 2 epic in shore fishing days. A big system rolled in gusting to 35mph cutting the fun short.

Ironically, the best salmon fishing was 7 mins from the marina.( lighthouse to little beach) We were consistently into fish in 120'of water with the riggers at 90', high liner flasher, glow anchovie teasers. We marked Chinook hammering the massive bait balls all day. Most of the fish boxed were a mid. teens. A couple big slabs peeled line and put on a show. We released a couple very large coho that were gorgeous.

Also fished great bear rock for Lings and sorted through the unders before nailing a hog on bait.

All in all, an epic time. A message to those who are new to fishing the west coast - if you can fish east coast of the island comfortably, or the lower mainland with success, don't be intimidated by the west coast.

Watch the weather, bait up and go get the lines wet!

All in all, an epic time. A message to those who are new to fishing the west coast - if you can fish east coast of the island comfortably, or the lower mainland with success, don't be intimidated by the west coast.
Watch the weather, bait up and go get the lines wet!

Great report Seatosky. As a beginner, I am somewhat intimidated by the West Coast and your post encourage me to plan a trip out there. Interesting that the fish were that close to shore. No need to go miles out in my 16 ft boat.
Keep it up. Thanks again.

Back