HALIBUT CLOSURE

expertfisher780

Well it looks like halibut will be closed on the 5th or 6th of September they aren't announcing it till just before the closing date they want to wait till the last minute to tell everyone.

How did this come up? I thought the notice said open until Dec 31st. That would be bad we do our fishing end of sept early oct. Is this from a reliable source?

We lay off fishing for them now, as there are to many dogfish. Love my October Halibut fishing.
Where is this information coming from???

Crappy. Have few days guiding after that. But I'll take it for a 70lb Max instead of 60 for whole summer ... Trade off makes it worth it. Also calmest season I've ever seen. Hence increased catch rate. Won't see a calm weather season like this one for a long time I bet.

I herd it from Island Outfitters as I herd a rumor of the 4th of September so I called the store today and the catch quotas have been reached and they told me that their going to drop it at the last minute on everyone hopefully not but I don't put it past DFO.

They do drop it last minute. I heard from SFAC rep that most likely date was sept 15. But that was couple days ago

Wow, how lucky this happened after the tourist season is over! Can you imagine if it happened in June? Seems like after all the restrictions we faced for a full season, we are back where we started. Pretty disappointing if true!

Yeah and we can win the lottery as well. This is strictly the business interest trumping that of the average Canadian. 85 % to the Commercial Fishery and now a closure once the tourist/lodge fishery is winding down. Sorry but it's pretty plain that the average Canadian who isn't involved in the industry is an afterthought. If things are this desperate then let's cancel non Canadian resident licenses.

Most likely last comment on it, but have to stick together or we will definitely not get anything more than the measly 15% we have now. Lodge/charter industry is your ally in this as their lobby seems to be stronger than that of just the regular rec sector by itself.

Good thing I got my 7 lbs ping pong paddle on the Canada day long weekend... who is filling all this quota that is supposed to belong to all of us? Could it be the huge lodges stuffed full of Americans with fat wallets taking home our public resource?
Well we did have a low dollar!

Yep so lets tell all foreign visitors they aren't welcome here anymore and to take their fishing dollars somewhere else...that helps the economy and the lives of the Canadians who depend on them. Hotels, B&B's, marinas, airlines, fish processors, tackle outlets, campgrounds etc etc would all suffer as well.

Yep so lets tell all foreign visitors they aren't welcome here anymore and to take their fishing dollars somewhere else...that helps the economy and the lives of the Canadians who depend on them. Hotels, B&B's, marinas, airlines, fish processors, tackle outlets, campgrounds etc etc would all suffer as well.

Your right profisher...

Better yet let's let their catch come from the commercial catch. Jimmy Pattison et al or Oak Bay Marine group et al,what's the difference. Seems we worry more about the "foreign visitor" than the Canadian fisherman. I think to me the choice of date , if true,proves we are not all in this together. But let's tell all the Canadians who purchase fuel, pay taxes, moor boats and support tackle shops that their business means nothing.

Oak Bay Marine group has no more lodges , sold them all, Jimmy pattison has all the licenses and the high priced lobbyist in ottawa to ensure he gets his money, pure and simple!!! On a whole sports fishing for halibut generates millions of dollars for everyone while commercial generates millions for a select few which is wrong because this is a resource for all canadians ,not just a few select ones / 85 % is a f#####G joke. All for lodges and tourist coming here and helping our economy and employing people/ not in favour of a crappy 15 % slice -total load of crap

Agree 100% if the lodges and guides are better commercial bang for the buck than are the long liners, the commercial quota should be divvied up accordingly to reflect that Having said that, the problem as I see it is that 85% goes to commercial fishermen and the other 15% is divided up amongst the local Fishermen and the commercial businesses that provide lodging and fishing.

We can all say we (15%) are all in together, however look at the timing? Seems funny if true the Sept. 15 was chosen? End of the business season? No warning! If DFO can adjust salmon catches based on in season estimates, why not halibut? Is it because it would have provoked a run of people targeting halibut which would have caused an earlier closure? Did they just figure this out? Seems sketchy!

All I can see is this will encourage people to hammer the stock in the spring. Not sure exactly what impact that would have? July closure next year? August at best.

What is true is that a small group of people have 85% of Canada's west coast halibut stocks to conduct their business while another larger group of people have only 15% to conduct their public fisheries and businesses as well. That continues to be the problem, nothing else. Fix that and the problem goes away.

Alaska has a great model: commercial quota, guide/outfitter quota and rec quotas are separate for Hali only. Allows residents doing it themselves certainty they can access their fishery resource all season and commercial operations have the certainty of their quota to manage as best fits their tourist season and clientele (eg taking fewer trophies or more eating size). You could argue the guides and lodges buying into the commie quota already see the benefit of the approach.

Fact is, 3 areas in the north take 70+% of the rec quota and pretty easy to extrapolate its primarily by guides/ lodges.

I don't disagree w/ profish that the conservative gifting of commie quota is still the heart of the issue but this Liberal govt should be being asked how that Con decision protects the interest of the commercial tourism industry and avg joe rec fisher?!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Back