Measuring halibut?

saanauk

How is the best way to measure halibut? I see lots of posts of halibut caught that are right at 133cm. Some of these are guides and it seems like they would want to make sure they are not bonking over size fish.

I caught one that I though was close this year and messed around a bit trying to measure it in the water. I felt pretty confident it was under but was still paranoid so netted the damn thing and put it on the floor of the boat and then measured again before I gave it the wood shampoo. It ended up being just a hair under 133 cm. After that I have decided if it is remotely close I am just cutting the leader and letting it go. I don't want to bonk a halibut and then have it be 134 cm. By the way netting a 74# halibut is a little interesting and not something I would do again or recommend.

wow thats amazing that it fit in a net ! on my friends boat we made a piece of gangion with a cannonball clip at one end and a loop to hang onto at the other with a knot at 133
which gets us super close- but we even gaffed one carefully through bottom jaw and laid in the boat for final measure

wow thats amazing that it fit in a net ! on my friends boat we made a piece of gangion with a cannonball clip at one end and a loop to hang onto at the other with a knot at 133
which gets us super close- but we even gaffed one carefully through bottom jaw and laid in the boat for final measure
Big net! But had to net from the tail end first to make it work which was a little tricky. Actually gave a GoPro video of the whole thing that I need to post at some point.

For salmon I'v got an old yard stick bucked down to 24.5 inches and have done the same thing for halibut I'v done the same thing, but obviously a yard stick wasn't long enough so I got a piece of lattice strip cut to size and marked to the length for under sized and marked for ling as well. They'er both always on the boat.

remember that after killing a hali when relaxed their spine separates and can be over sized we don't kill any over 130 on my boat

Paint pen marks on both sides of boat. Works good. Even after netting trying to hold down then measure and put back would the fish survive. All that stinky slime it leaves on your boat is a protective layer for the fish.

Mmm harpoon? Never harpooned a halibut. Always just been gaff the big ones and bonk on the head.
IMG_2189.PNG

IMG_2190.PNG
IMG_2191.PNG

Time to buy harpoon and mark lengths... for Canada that is.

It seems to me that the "live measurement" is all that matters. Firstly, it's impossible to predict how much a measurement will change post mortem, or how long that change will take to occur. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, measuring your catch after it's dead is a little counterproductive.

I talked to a Fisheries Officer who suggested that a measuring stick or device of choice be a few centimetres short of being legal length. He said everyone wants a hero shot and picks the legal length fish up for a photo. The vertebrae pop and stretch and now you have an over the limit (total length wise) halibut. Not worth it as he said. For what it's worth.

Oly

I talked to a Fisheries Officer who suggested that a measuring stick or device of choice be a few centimetres short of being legal length. He said everyone wants a hero shot and picks the legal length fish up for a photo. The vertebrae pop and stretch and now you have an over the limit (total length wise) halibut. Not worth it as he said. For what it's worth.

Oly
That's BS... how much shorter? 2, 3, 5 cm shorter? And if there is a number that works, they should have used that as the measurement. Our responsibility is to measure the fish BEFORE it is dead, and if it's over, then send it back. We can't predict how much a measurement will change after a fish is dead.

That's BS... how much shorter? 2, 3, 5 cm shorter? And if there is a number that works, they should have used that as the measurement. Our responsibility is to measure the fish BEFORE it is dead, and if it's over, then send it back. We can't predict how much a measurement will change after a fish is dead.

Anyone heard of people getting in trouble from DFO for halibut a cm or two over the limit? Or even had their halibut measured? Just wonder if there is a little bit of wiggle room.
We have a slot limit for lings in the San Juans for spearfishing lingcod which is pretty stupid as it hard to tell the length of a fish underwater when you only have a 10 inch or so slot.

apparently there not overly concerned ,

heard of a few over at public local halibut derbies , ,
guys bein disqualified for bein 3 cm over , dfo looked the other way im told , they knew about it ,
its a number they magically came up with to keep our tac down , few overs here and there ,
, mortality , poaching yada yada , all into consideration
dont over think it , if its over by a few cm's they should let you swim for another day , the first time anyway....

fyi - ( ive mesured 133 cm fish in the water , then on the deck , sorry no stretching lol , )

gaffing , netting , pooning , what ever works for ya i guess ,
boat size dependent for sure on the gaffing , no thx alive for us... to many bodies in the boat most times , why risk the damage ,,imho

fd

I use a kids foam noodle with the lengths marked on it. It is on a rope and I lay is along side or on top of the hali to get a quick measurement to help me decide if I will keep it or release it.

Back