Thousands of 10-pound Atlantic salmon, catch as many as you want!

your time would be in my opinion better spent asking DFO why Alaska took all your sockeye and chinook salmon this year, i mean why did they not let any pass through and why was the treaty breached at 130 million pieces. this is what is killing your salmon.
Alaska and overfishing are yet but another issue that can affect the viability of our fish stocks, Bones - you are right. That doesn't mean we should ignore all impacts to our wild stocks and give-up because Alaska gets first crack at intercept fisheries. That's what I consider to be a weak and irresponsible reaction/excuse. Each and every impact needs to be addressed if we are to try to manage the fish stocks. Some of which we can change/alter/improve - like making closed containment mandatory - while some other impacts are more difficult to alter.

Thank for using your words agent however the campaigns I mention for the most part aren't very factual to say the least.
Wild stocks need to be protected eh? Another hypocritical position from you agent and others. It's pathetic to hear you say it on a sports fishing forum. All the users of these stocks are fighting over quotas and rights and your over here saying stocks need to be protected. Protected from what? Protected from this over here but not that over there. It's a fairly entitled and selective protection your suggesting that wreaks of hypocracy.

Thank for using your words agent however the campaigns I mention for the most part aren't very factual to say the least.
Wild stocks need to be protected eh? Another hypocritical position from you agent and others. It's pathetic to hear you say it on a sports fishing forum. All the users of these stocks are fighting over quotas and rights and your over here saying stocks need to be protected. Protected from what? Protected from this over here but not that over there. It's a fairly entitled and selective protection your suggesting that wreaks of hypocracy.
I guess I assumed it would be obvious what "protection" means to me - but thanks for the chance to explain that, BN.

To me - "protection" does not mean "non-take" nor "non-usage", but rather "non-stupid" - which is admittedly to some extent - in the eye of the beholder.

There is absolutely nothing wrong (IMHO) in extracting renewable resources in a sustainable fashion. There is - of course - debate over what the word "sustainable" looks like to different people.

I don't consider the current form of Atlantic salmon open net-pen aquaculture "sustainable" - due to the very numerous impacts - particularly to the wild stocks - some of which you brought up. There are - of course - other impacts as well. The Cohen Commission did a great job of enumerating and detailing these and other impacts on the Fraser stocks.

Last edited:
Alaska and overfishing are yet but another issue that can affect the viability of our fish stocks, Bones - you are right. That doesn't mean we should ignore all impacts to our wild stocks and give-up because Alaska gets first crack at intercept fisheries. That's what I consider to be a weak and irresponsible reaction/excuse. Each and every impact needs to be addressed if we are to try to manage the fish stocks. Some of which we can change/alter/improve - like making closed containment mandatory - while some other impacts are more difficult to alter.
ok good to know
so you agree that fish farms are not the reason salmon are in decline

so you agree that fish farms are not the reason salmon are in decline
I find it strange that you are asking that question, bones - if you have been following the numerous threads debating this topic. I can only assume that you are reiterating the answer to that question - to the rest of the readership by asking that question.

Yes of course - is the obvious and short answer.

Every year/season is a complex interaction between location, time, impacts and patterns - a "box of chocolates" (thanks, Tom Hanks/Forrest Gumps).

Wrt impacts from open net-cages - they are numerous - and the scope and range of those interactions depends upon location, time, impacts and patterns. I believe for some years - there is enough "surplus" in recruitment so that those effects might not be noticeable against other background impacts. In other years - not so much.

If - for example - ocean survival rates of outmigrating smolts is in the toilet (like 2-3% or less) - another 1/2-1% mortality might crash that cohort. Extra juvie mortality matters when the stocks get down that much.

In addition - closed containment is something we can do something about...

Last edited:
I find it strange that you are asking that question, bones - if you have been following the numerous threads debating this topic. I can only assume that you are reiterating the answer to that question - to the rest of the readership by asking that question.

Yes of course - is the obvious and short answer.

Every year/season is a complex interaction between location, time, impacts and patterns - a "box of chocolates" (thanks, Tom Hanks/Forrest Gumps).

Wrt impacts from open net-cages - they are numerous - and the scope and range of those interactions depends upon location, time, impacts and patterns. I believe for some years - there is enough "surplus" in recruitment so that those effects might not be noticeable against other background impacts, In other years - not so much.

If - for example - ocean survival rates of outmigrating smolts is in the toilet (like 2-3% or less) - another 1/2-1% mortality might crash that cohort. Extra juvie mortality matters when the stocks get down that much.

In addition - closed containment is something we can do something about...
thats not a short answer.....

Well here's an interesting turn of events:

Copied from CBC news site:

Washington Govenor Jay Inslee has directed the Department of Ecology to put on hold any new permits for net pens after thousands of Atlantic salmon escaped into Puget Sound earlier this month from damaged pens.

It's not yet clear how many non-native Atlantic salmon escaped into Puget Sound from Canada-based Cooke Aquaculture's salmon farm off Cypress Island, not far from B.C.'s coastal waters, but officials say the pens held about 305,000 fish.

Inslee says in a statement the company must stop additional escapes, recover escaped fish and compensate those working to capture the fish after anglers were urged to catch as many of the Atlantic salmon as possible.

Canadian Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc has said officials are closely monitoring the spill given how close it happened to B.C. and are surveying the area to ensure any impacts from the incident are minimized.

Need to keep pressure on our politicians to move these net pen salmon feedlots onto the land where their negative environmental impacts (pollution, disease, escapes, etc.) can be better managed. Need to get the govt. support and subsidies to go to land based fish farms and then they can be more profitable.

Salmon spill prompts open-net fish farm critics to tout benefits of land-based aquaculture
Thousands of Atlantic salmon escaped fish farm near Victoria last week after nets damaged
By Camille Bains, The Canadian Press Posted: Aug 26, 2017 4:12 PM PT Last Updated: Aug 27, 2017 5:06 PM PT

atlantic-salmon.jpg

In this October 2008 file photo, farm-raised Atlantic salmon move across a conveyor belt as they are brought aboard a harvesting boat near Eastport, Maine. (Canadian Press)

Related Stories
Critics of open-net fish farms say the escape of Atlantic salmon from a Washington state pen that held 305,000 fish should spur Canada to support a transition to land-based aquaculture because it's already leading the world with the most facilities using that method.

Steve Summerfelt of the Conservation Fund Freshwater Institute in Shepherdstown, W. Va., said three of the world's 13 land-based salmon facilities are in Canada, while China has the largest production capacity with its two operations, followed by Denmark.

Kuterra, based in the Vancouver Island community of Port McNeill and owned by the Namgis First Nation, is the leading closed-containment Atlantic salmon company in Canada, followed by Sustainable Blue in Dartmouth, N.S.

The First Nation, which received part of its funding from Tides Canada on the basis that it provide open access to its knowledge, has enabled Kuterra to become an industry leader, Summerfelt said Friday.

"All across the globe, people are following Kuterra very closely," he said. "It's been a great project for the whole industry to see the transparency, to see what their performances were, what their challenges were and what worked really well."

He said two Nova Scotia companies have produced salmon on a smaller scale, positioning Canada as a global leader in the industry though investors have taken a wait-and-see approach.

Higher costs
The water recirculating technology to grow salmon has steadily improved over the last three decades, Summerfelt said, adding the system uses less water and draws out waste that's turned into fertilizer instead of being dumped in the ocean.

"The challenge is it's a higher capital (venture) than putting a net in the ocean. Building these controlled environments that pump water that's in a building is more costly, it's a trade-off."

Compared with Canada, two closed-net commercial farms are currently producing Atlantic salmon in the United States but they are not expected to start selling it until next year, he said, adding there isn't enough wild salmon to meet worldwide demand.

"Farmed salmon now exceeds wild salmon consumption and the only way it's been done effectively until now is in ocean pens. We're trying to do it differently so we can do it in places where it's not going to impact our marine ecosystems and we have to do it cost effectively."

Josephine Mrozewski, spokeswoman for Kuterra, said part of the company's funding came from Sustainable Development Technology Canada, an arm's-length foundation created by the federal government, though it's just breaking even after three years of operating.

She said Kuterra has broken even after distributing its salmon to one retailer in B.C. and chains in Toronto and Washington state but is looking for investors by the end of September to take the company further

Lack of government investment
Bob Chamberlin, chairman of the First Nations Wild Salmon Alliance, said the Washington state spill earlier this week near B.C. waters requires investment by government and industry for more sustainable ways to farm salmon.

"The government's infatuation with open-net cage fish farms means there's not the necessary government support with programs, tax breaks, capital incentives and so on to facilitate the flourishment of the closed-containment industry in Canada," he said.

"What I say to Canada is that they provided that same level of resourcing and tax incentives and so on to the fish-farm industry to operate as they are today. My question is, why did they not provide that same framework and support and incentives for the necessary economic environment for the closed-containment industry to be successful?"

Jeremy Dunn, spokesman for the B.C. Salmon Farmers Association, said the Washington spill involved an outdated salmon-farming structure that isn't used in the province, where he said 109 farms exist, though the industry remains controversial.

"Well over 90 per cent of salmon is raised in open net-pens," he said of the global aquaculture business, adding concerns about Atlantic salmon are continually addressed through innovation, adding any escapees are typically killed by predators.

"Our members have decreased their use of antibiotics and we have developed new vaccines to protect against pathogens endemic to the Pacific Ocean," he said about issues raised in an inquiry that produced dozens of recommendations in 2012 to protect salmon in B.C.

Bill to ban salmon farms defeated
Fin Donnelly, federal NDP fisheries and oceans critic, said he organized a visit to Kuterra last fall with support from some Liberal members of Parliament and Green Leader Elizabeth May but his bill to ban open-net cage salmon farms was defeated last December.

"You can totally support your wild salmon fishery at the same time that you transition the harmful technology out of the salmon-farming system," he said, adding the two Nova Scotia companies that have private investors, Sustainable Blue and CanAqua, are "the ones to watch" if Canada is to become a world leader in land-based salmon farming.

"But the government is not making it easier for companies like that because they're still subsidizing the open-net farms by giving them such reduced licence fees."

atlantic-salmon.jpg

The photo in your article is a far more accurate representation of the general population (99%) out of a pen of farmed Atlantic salmon. Activist generally do not want you to see this for they heavily rely of photo's rather than science and fair representation.

The on
View attachment 35071

The photo in your article is a far more accurate representation of the general population (99%) out of a pen of farmed Atlantic salmon. Activist generally do not want you to see this for they heavily rely of photo's rather than science and fair representation.
The only bad Atlantic salmon photo I've seen yet was posted on this forum. Every picture on facebook is of fish that are healthy, makes one wonder

The on
The only bad Atlantic salmon photo I've seen yet was posted on this forum. Every picture on facebook is of fish that are healthy, makes one wonder

Good point - there must be a massive fish farm PR team working on getting out as much misleading info to the public as possible to sway the uninformed consumer.

Back