salmon pepperoni

bones

Still playing around with salmon pepperoni. Has anyone else tried this and if so could share your results.

Are you using fennel seeds? What binder are you using? What size tube are you using? Do you cold bath the sticks to shrink the casing?

The first batch wasn't all that good, lol

Okay-here is something
Try this-looks like it is a start- If you are going to smoke put in a tsp of prague no 1- If you don't smoke you could add liquid smoke-Think I would use collagen casings-probably 20 to 22 mm-should give a decent stick -maybe smaller if you want "slim jims"

5 lbs fish
1 cup ice water
8 oz vegetable shortening
3/4 cup corn starch
2 Tbl salt
1 Tbl powdered dextrose
1/2 Tbl hot pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2.5 tsp ground anise seed
1.5 Tbl corn syrup solids (substitute with Splenda, if using artificial sweetner only use 1/2 to 3/4 Tbl)

Debone and cool fish to at least 35 degrees F. Grind through 3/16" plate. Add salt and mix thoroughly to bind. After 10 minutes, add corn starch mixed with ice water. Spices and shortening are added last, mixing thoroughly. Stuff into a fibrous casing of your choice.

Cook sausage in water 200-205 degrees F until internal temp reaches 180 degrees F. Cool in cold water or shower with cold water until internal temp of 70 degrees F is obtained. The cooled sausage is then dipped in boiling water for one minute to tighten the casing.

Fish sausage is very perishable and should be stored in a cold fridge. Also freezes well.

Since this sausage is cooked immediately to such a high temperature, cures are not required. I'd put it in because it also reddens and brightens the product plus you can decide if you want to smoke.

So000----where do you differ from this recipe?? The binder is the corn starch---could switch to soy flour,rice flour, bread crumbs,soy protein. The vegetable shortening is the fat---switch to what?? 20% fat is kinda the standard so this recipe looks a little short of fat-might be dry. I would try pork fat personally. Post what you tried and we will get an acceptable product--what did you think was wrong with yours??

Okay-here is something
Try this-looks like it is a start- If you are going to smoke put in a tsp of prague no 1- If you don't smoke you could add liquid smoke-Think I would use collagen casings-probably 20 to 22 mm-should give a decent stick -maybe smaller if you want "slim jims"

5 lbs fish
1 cup ice water
8 oz vegetable shortening
3/4 cup corn starch
2 Tbl salt
1 Tbl powdered dextrose
1/2 Tbl hot pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2.5 tsp ground anise seed
1.5 Tbl corn syrup solids (substitute with Splenda, if using artificial sweetner only use 1/2 to 3/4 Tbl)

Debone and cool fish to at least 35 degrees F. Grind through 3/16" plate. Add salt and mix thoroughly to bind. After 10 minutes, add corn starch mixed with ice water. Spices and shortening are added last, mixing thoroughly. Stuff into a fibrous casing of your choice.

Cook sausage in water 200-205 degrees F until internal temp reaches 180 degrees F. Cool in cold water or shower with cold water until internal temp of 70 degrees F is obtained. The cooled sausage is then dipped in boiling water for one minute to tighten the casing.

Fish sausage is very perishable and should be stored in a cold fridge. Also freezes well.

Since this sausage is cooked immediately to such a high temperature, cures are not required. I'd put it in because it also reddens and brightens the product plus you can decide if you want to smoke.

So000----where do you differ from this recipe?? The binder is the corn starch---could switch to soy flour,rice flour, bread crumbs,soy protein. The vegetable shortening is the fat---switch to what?? 20% fat is kinda the standard so this recipe looks a little short of fat-might be dry. I would try pork fat personally. Post what you tried and we will get an acceptable product--what did you think was wrong with yours??

Or, you could try bacon. Plenty of fat and smoke flavour too.

I tried using bacon fat and frozen salmon but it wasn't very good either. No texture to it. Maybe I should get dialed in on pork first and then try adding 50% salmon.. :)

If anyone gets a good batch of this figured out let us know..
I have tried the stuff down by aquatic in Comox and it was NOT good..
Maybe Nog has got it figured?

Make sure you start with wild fish and not farmed...

that's what these guys use.
http://hardybuoys.com/wpcproduct/wild-salmon-6-pepperoni/

Ingredients:
Wild Salmon (Coho, Chum, Pink, Sockeye, Spring), Demerara Sugar, Salt, Water, Paprika, Cajun Spice, Pepperoni Seasoning, Edible Collagen Casing, Alder Wood Smoke.

Last edited:
Back