2017 Pender Bluffs

Ah! Blackmax now I know who you are. I was the guy who spoke to you and saw you play the 18 lber, I have the Trophy boat. blue canvas with no name, fishing solo.

Arrived on Thursday and fished the evening, nothing. Slept over in Bedwell.

Friday, 5.30am
I am ashamed to say I hooked 4 lost 4, all at 90-110 feet. The first came up with the ball no idea it was on then popped at the surface went absolutely berserk and shook the hook or it ripped out, not sure what it was looked about 5 lb but had serious attitude, lol, That one could have hit when the ball was coming up when I think about it, 2nd lost near the boat, 3rd was a solid fish but spat the hook after a few minutes, 4th another solid fish bit through leader.

So I went home on the way picked up my traps, zip, zero, nada, zilch................anyone want to buy a boat!
Yes that was me, it was just us and another boat working that area. I hear guys are pulling teenage springs out regular now. I caught a few pinks but not like some guys catching 20 in a day, I'm guessing it's because I'm fishing deep. Nice meeting you!

Y Nice meeting you!
And you too. What is the name of your boat, I didn't notice, is it Balackmax?
I'll head out for another overnighter this week I think the weather forecast says its going to be a bit cooler, gotta shake my skunk and get my mind right again, lol.

And you too. What is the name of your boat, I didn't notice, is it Balackmax?
I'll head out for another overnighter this week I think the weather forecast says its going to be a bit cooler, gotta shake my skunk and get my mind right again, lol.
The boat name is "Nara" a 21 foot Stiper black soft top. I hope to get out tomorrow morning if winds allow.

Let us know how you get on. Interesting to know if this low pressure system affects the bite.

It's interesting out there; Over the last couple of days a few of us have managed a couple/few pinks a day, while some have been lucky to find springs, and others nothing at all. The fish are coming through in little clusters, and if you happen to be on the right spot, chances are that more than one of your rods is going to go off. And if there are any other boats close, theirs go off as well. I've heard of great fish taken from the surface down to 140ft, and from right off shore to way out. So it seems to be more about how good you are at searching, covering all the depths, and mixing it up as needed.
Good luck out there.

IMG_2630.JPG IMG_2636.JPG
Thanks for the update, was out Wednesday night and got one shaker and a dogfish.
It's a morning bite only so far , I got it out late toda
It's interesting out there; Over the last couple of days a few of us have managed a couple/few pinks a day, while some have been lucky to find springs, and others nothing at all. The fish are coming through in little clusters, and if you happen to be on the right spot, chances are that more than one of your rods is going to go off. And if there are any other boats close, theirs go off as well. I've heard of great fish taken from the surface down to 140ft, and from right off shore to way out. So it seems to be more about how good you are at searching, covering all the depths, and mixing it up as needed.
Good luck out there.
. I did great today from 2-5 got 2 springs ,
Good luck out there.
I got out at 2 and bite came on around 3:30 , multiple pin poppers probobly smaller fish. A couple of long line releases and netted a 14 and 16 .

Was out yesterday and we had several on, lost a nice one to a seal and lost another at the boat. The bite happened just around low slack.

I must be doing something wrong! Was out Friday morning and only managed to get two non keepers. One wild coho and one undersized Spring. Tried close in, as well as well off the shore ,at depths of 50-150', spoons and anchovy.Marked tons of bait, but no luck. Guess I'll have to just keep trying:)

Couple of pinks and a spring for us at the bluffs on Tuesday morning. We dragged coho killers and anchovies. Coho killer got most of the action, depths of 120-140'. Some of those pinks are feisty!

Three 4-5lb pinks on Tuesday afternoon, 2.30-5.30 then went dead, all on Pink hootchies not a nibble on chovie all at 80ft. Then this morning fished from 5.30 loads of fish and loads of bait close in and out but could not persuade one to bite till about 10.00, a pink on chovie, at 110ft only to be zapped by a seal at the boat. then another let loose forget the depth, at about 10.30 then nothing. Gave up at 3.00 when the wind from the south made it difficult being solo.

Out early on the bluffs this morning. Nothing happening until around 9:00 a.m. We picked up 3 pinks (one of them 7 pounds) and a real nice 15 pound Spring in about an hour. All on chovies and all deep - 130 - 160 feet. Continued to fish until 4 p.m. but the bite didn't come back and just lost one Pink the rest of the day.

Out early on the bluffs this morning. Nothing happening until around 9:00 a.m. We picked up 3 pinks (one of them 7 pounds) and a real nice 15 pound Spring in about an hour. All on chovies and all deep - 130 - 160 feet. Continued to fish until 4 p.m. but the bite didn't come back and just lost one Pink the rest of the day.
It was great for a few days but now slowed , it may come back.

Fished the bluffs again, 8 a.m. till noon. Hooked up right away and had an epic battle with a seal who was laying claim to my fish. Fortunately, it was a young seal who could only grab the fish by the tail and after 3 mini battles, he eventually let go long enough to surf a 14 pound Spring into the net. Kudo's to my net man who swore at that top of his lungs at the seal while splashing the net into the water to scare the seal. Also picked up a couple of small pinks. Like yesterday, we had luck 500 - 800 yards out, trolling at 150'.

Attachments

• IMG_1362.jpg
    IMG_1362.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: RBL
Fished the bluffs again, 8 a.m. till noon. Hooked up right away and had an epic battle with a seal who was laying claim to my fish. Fortunately, it was a young seal who could only grab the fish by the tail and after 3 mini battles, he eventually let go long enough to surf a 14 pound Spring into the net. Kudo's to my net man who swore at that top of his lungs at the seal while splashing the net into the water to scare the seal. Also picked up a couple of small pinks. Like yesterday, we had luck 500 - 800 yards out, trolling at 150'.
Awesome ! I have yet to win against a seal. I have been staying away from the large group of boats because of seals.Planning on getting out early tomorrow morning and have a good report.

Back