Grady

$45K for mains and kicker power. $55K for a 25 year old hull and trailer?

How long do fibreglass hulls last? I know newer ones are built better, but I've been looking at a few 90's fibreglass and wondering.

I'd take my 1976 hand laid Hourston hull over the newer chopper gun glass boats. The only thing that can go wrong with them is wooden stringer and transom rot besides major impact.

osmosis can be a problem with fiberglass boats from the south, something to check for if the boat is originally from somewhere like florida.

Osmosis????

Are you talking about absorption? Don't think a glass boat can have osmosis.....please correct me if I'm wrong

Osmosis????

Are you talking about absorption? Don't think a glass boat can have osmosis.....please correct me if I'm wrong
Yes osmosis, water will filter threw exposed chopped glass, it's why we need gel coat to seal the glass. Water sometimes can creep threw bilges and into the sealed chambers, or a gel coat blister could hold water against the chopped mat allowing it in.

How long do fibreglass hulls last? I know newer ones are built better, but I've been looking at a few 90's fibreglass and wondering.
Like fishtofino, I'm also running around in a Hourston from the late 70s . It's been rebuilt inside but the fibreglass is original..

Back