Southeast Alaska is shutting down their chinook fisheries...gulp

10,000 possession limits

Like I said I can't speek for what wishiniwasfishin1 said.

But sure let's crunch some numbers and maybe we can come up with a guess.?, How many guests a year? and how many fishing days in a year? Avg catch per guest?

I personally wouldn't be bothered much if they reduced the amount of chinook I could keep. I'm just a rec fisherman though that fishes about 50 days a year . I think for anything to change it would need to be changes to everyone across the board. You can't tell one sector to reduce while others carry on and rape. Maybe it's just me but I personally can't stand the constant pictures online of guides spreading springs, lings , yellow eye and Hali all over the dock. It doesn't impress me that guys are using their knowledge and a network of other guides in the area to absolutely devastate what is supposed to be a shared resource to pad your pockets and fill some foreigners cooler . Maybe its time we go to one spring a day vs two, maybe it's time we don't allow out of country people to fly in for 3 days and leave with coolers full of fish that take years and years and grow to legal size. I know these people spend money here. But will they continue spending money here when all the fish are gone? I doubt it. So why wait until that happens.

I 100% agree with this guy. It sickens me to see the guide or lodge photos on Facebook with the dock covered in salmon, rock cod, Ling and Hali (ping pong paddles).
I'd be curious to see how the numbers break down per fish (into the economy) for someone that flies into a lodge, maxes out their 2 day limit and leaves vs a resident that buys a boat, fuel, insurance, gear, etc to catch fish?
Also a question about the commercial salmon fishery, I always hear that Pattison owns the majority of the commercial licenses. Is this true?
Wouldn't it help if saltwater licenses were another $25-$50 a year more but the extra money went directly to salmon enhancement and hatchery programs?
Cheers

Like I said I can't speek for what wishiniwasfishin1 said.

But sure let's crunch some numbers and maybe we can come up with a guess.?, How many guests a year? and how many fishing days in a year? Avg catch per guest?

I think qcl is one of the largest lodges up north....24 rooms = 48 guests. They are open for 3 months or 90 days max. They sure aren't sold out for the whole season
That's a max of 4000 guests. A far cry from 10,000

I am pretty sure the lodges are open more than 90 days - First trip is May and the lodges will still be open early September. Lets use your number of 90 days though.

Here goes the math:
Season: 90 days
Guests per trip: 40
Total fishing days: 3600

Lets take a conservative estimate of each angler catching 7 salmon per day. This includes all species, unders, grilse, fish kept and fish released. I have been up there several times and had days of hooking 20-30 salmon and that is not uncommon.

3600 x 7 salmon = 25,200.

I used this number (25,000) as a low number and I wouldn't be surprised if on banner years that number crept up to close to 40,000. I may be way off but I doubt it. The point is this is one lodge. 40 guests may be the larger lodge size, but he point is there are a lot of fish being caught by these commercial operations and the guys that go on these trips tend to want to max out their hours on the water and get their money worth.

My nephew works at Peregrine Lodge. Starts May 27th last day August 23rd.

He told me tonight he hasn't had a bite in 3 days... extrapolate that.

Does anyone know what how many pieces are in the Commercial troll quota ?? You would think that it would be the first segment closed if any action is taken by the DFO. Rec sector contributes significantly more $ to the economy
Pieces ??????? I catch FISH-- not pieces...........

I think thats kind of the point of this thread Fishtofino. The fish stocks are getting beat up. Beat up to the point that Alaska has been shut down, and your nephew is getting skunked at Peregrine - which is very hard to do in August, no?

Hey Sean best you step away from the shat show here.. if u know w hat I mean.....

I am re-posting this for those of you who didn't see it before. We will not tolerate members getting itno arguments on here...especially based on speculation and innuendo, which is where this is headed.

Going to make this short and sweet. There is plenty of "blame" to go around on this subject, but the only thing blaming some other group will accomplish is a fight, which won't be happening here. As has been pointed out before, when solutions start to evolve there may just be hope that one day this fantastic fishery will rejuvenate to a point where all sectors will enjoy their share of it. Pointing fingers and claiming "your" sector is more deserving of whatever is left of the fishery, might just lead to "you" catching the last remaining fish one day.
Fight the good fight with those who can actually enact change, but please don't fight each other here.

Wow.... that is un heard of up there.... you know it's tough when

Hey Sean best you step away from the shat show here.. if u know w hat I mean.....
Well looky who showed up, got a day off of the water shooter buck, I think I am going to blame you because you caught all the fish :D

Sounds like they want to harvest every last one of them. If it was not for the PSC they would. Hatcheries have been experiencing diminishing returns and just because you dump millions of smolts in the ocean does not give you the right to harvest more. Fish are starving at sea because of warm water and less food. Does not matter how much you pump into the ocean there is only so much feed available and you're probably just hurting the wild stocks more.

Don't blame it on the politics of the PSC. If the SEAK rivers don't have a poor escapement then by all means have a terminal fishery or harvest them in river.

Everyone has to work together or this will just result in both contrieres parking their fishing fleets outside of the other boarders and harvesting every last one.

That news article is full of trump rhetoric

Everyone just wants more fish it's just greed we need to work togeather

QCL has a max capacity of 120 guests, call it 100 because they won't be booked fully all summer long. 4 Chinook per person. Turnover twice a week, 200 guests per week, 800 chinook per week, 14 weeks of fishing over the summer season, 11,200 chinook. Plus all the stock piled fish and 80 plus staff members taking home limits.

QCL has a max capacity of 120 guests, call it 100 because they won't be booked fully all summer long. 4 Chinook per person. Turnover twice a week, 200 guests per week, 800 chinook per week, 14 weeks of fishing over the summer season, 11,200 chinook. Plus all the stock piled fish and 80 plus staff members taking home limits.
Let it go ........................

Guys where can a guy donate money to where it actually will go to salmon enhancement & where can a guy donate where it will go towards lobbyists supporting the req sector. We have so many battles on different fronts, we need to focus resources to win one at a time.

What I pay a year to fish, I can put some money back into keeping salmon swimming up our rivers. It's a resource I utilize for both enjoyment & feeding my family. The only resource I truly put back into the system is my fishing license & that's peanuts.

Sitting here on the land locked prairies I feel useless in what I can do to help. This discussion has been a good one because it has me thinking a lot. Even looking in the mirror at what I can do differently. Life with out a healthy west coast fishery would take away the best parts of my life. I know that may sound ridiculous but it's 100 true. It's in my blood &!there is nothing I am more passionate about. I remember 2 years ago when I brought my family to Haida Gwaii. It was the best family trip we have ever done. It left a bigger impression on my wife and kids then Diseney Land. Now we are planning for next year to do Rennal Sound for a few weeks & bring up my own boat.

Seeing what's happening right now is making me sick. Seeing our Chinooks struggling in all parts of the coast is scary...

DFO pegs the Northern Lodges catching 50K Chinook per year. With all the back & forth here I truly can't remember why this is supposed to matter.

DFO pegs the Northern Lodges catching 50K Chinook per year. With all the back & forth here I truly can't remember why this is supposed to matter.

Because it's relevant in determine if the psc could shut down our Chinook Fishery for the same reasons

Back