2017 Port Hardy Reports

I know that chads boats ran towards cape scott which is alot farther than i wanted to travel. Its possible they went north towards bremner.

Spotty is a understatement here right now! Only fish we found here was a Sutil and that was tough fishing there as well!

No Halibut anywhere unless you want to run up north , Burning a crap load of fuel running around just to scrape up a fish here and there. Worst fishing I've seen in years around here.

Spotty is a understatement here right now! Only fish we found here was a Sutil and that was tough fishing there as well!

No Halibut anywhere unless you want to run up north , Burning a crap load of fuel running around just to scrape up a fish here and there. Worst fishing I've seen in years around here.

had a place booked for next week guess ill just cancel it and head somewhere else. Thanks for the heads up!

Neighbour picked up a 23 at Duval today. Returned with stories of full cleaning tables. It's an odd year for fishing, for sure though.

Neighbour picked up a 23 at Duval today. Returned with stories of full cleaning tables. It's an odd year for fishing, for sure though.

The only full tables I seen are the guides that come back from up north! Lol!

I would say it's not impossible. I was there a few weeks ago. We were still able to pull fish in close without going to sutil. Some of group went there and did well but they only fished one day. Last day I was there a 34 came from Gordons and week before we got there a 44 from Duvall. There is also easy limits of coho around. Excellent bottom fishing. As for halibut you have to explore and find a spot. Not an expert there but I like it better than most places I have fished. Worth the trip. If I did it again I would fish close save gas and pound Duvall and Gordons. Those Sutil fish have too stop there sooner or later.

I'm still learning this fishery up here. I haven't found anything consistent for Halibut ... yet. And as far as Salmon go, they're a transient species. The sad part is that Coho are essentially done (unless you catch the elusive hatchery fish).

Fishing is fishing, it changes with the tides. Drop'em and drag'em! You can chase fish coast wide and never know what your going to get into.

Local fish was fantastic today, decent springs at duval. Had a monster chew me off at Duval. Got limits of Chinook and released some beauty coho

My bring your own boats guests loaded up good today, Castle and Gordon's had solid fishing. Had to wead through the wild coho to get your springs but all had decent catches.

Tight Lines

Here's a Hardy report from a 1st timer up here.
Blowing a gale when we got up Aug. 3rd in the afternoon and couldn't fish.
Fished today at Duval point from 1st light till 9am and boated a low 20 and a low teen. Had a half dozen other light hits.
Then tried the Gordon Group, Castle Point and the Mastermans for the rest of the day without a sniff.
Happy to get fish in the boat but would have liked more action.
Back at it tomorrow.IMG_20170804_155147_557.jpg

Here's a Hardy report from a 1st timer up here.
Blowing a gale when we got up Aug. 3rd in the afternoon and couldn't fish.
Fished today at Duval point from 1st light till 9am and boated a low 20 and a low teen. Had a half dozen other light hits.
Then tried the Gordon Group, Castle Point and the Mastermans for the rest of the day without a sniff.
Happy to get fish in the boat but would have liked more action.
Back at it tomorrow.View attachment 34669

Nothing wrong with that for a start, always takes a couple days to get your troll on in a new area and learn the lay of the land. Keep chatting at the dock and cleaning table, keep your ear to the ground and pick up on the chatter, you'll nail em. Nice fish though,, better than being stuck at work like me at least your doin it.

Full day 2 of fishing up here and I have to say it's been slow for us.
We boated a 13, 7 Chinook and 1 lonely Pink.
All bites happened before 8am which was the same as yesterday.
Tried drifting for Hali and jigging for Ling's or Yellow Eye with no luck.
Probably a morning fish tomorrow and then head home.
Kinda bummed after the 500km drive that we're not finding more fish.
Pretty sure next year I'll stick close to home with Sooke and RenfrewIMG_20170805_140051.jpg

Jumbo Pink,, oh well your going home with a couple nice fish, you never got skunked.

Pretty sure next year I'll stick close to home with Sooke and RenfrewView attachment 34678

It took us a few years and still learning that area. All the larger chinooks are around but you have to go north. Past Nihwitti bar. It's not to say we didn't find any in other places. A saw a few tyees get tsken close in. The bottom fish is a learning thing again as that area is large. I still have yet to unlock the fishery in castle and Jeanette. Yet to find decent fish there. As an experience though it blows Sooke and Victoria away at least for scenic area and different places to fish. Quite honestly Duvall is still a place I never stay at long but produces fish if your patient. I am going back next year again. I love the area.

It's defiantly a long grind to get fish around here. Fished in same area today with a couple guide boats and they were striking out. Been fortunate to scrape a couple up for my brother and friend these past few days, nothing of any size.

Hope for betters days to come!

Pretty sure next year I'll stick close to home with Sooke and RenfrewView attachment 34678

That pink's a pig! Don't think I've ever seen one that makes two well conditioned springs look thin in comparison! Must have been loaded w/ krill or something. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Ukee

Nice fish!

Last day tomorrow, local fishing is dismal at best here right now! Going to make a solo trip north and hope to bag a couple to crunch my urge! Defiantly disappointing, cannot afford a 70 mile round trip voyage to find fish everyday! Lol!

Will report what I find.

FYI The chinooks are stuffed with squid, but the greedy boogers still take a chovie!

Back