Double Eagle Restoration

Brian Reiber

All the stars aligned and we finally found the perfect boat for our needs a 1978 20' Double Eagle in great shape. We came across this gorgeous fishing machine and brought it home today. The PO has redone the stringers, floor, and transom. Based on what we have seen so far it looks like he does good work and that is one headache we won't have to deal with anytime soon. The leg is off, we still have to remove the inboard and then we can start the process of converting it into our fishing sanctuary. We are looking for suggestions on a good fabricator for the pod. For power I'm thinking a 200hp on the light side and a 250hp on the high end which might be a bit too much power. Any other tips and suggestions from guys who have been down this road before would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

• Double Eagle 1.jpg
    Double Eagle 1.jpg
    653.9 KB · Views: 545
  • Stern.jpg
    Stern.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 520
  • Cockpit.jpg
    Cockpit.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 514
DSS welding makes a nice pod
Hey Alex, I was going to get in touch with you. I'm the guy that stopped and saw your old DE last Friday. Nice bought and I almost went for it until I came across this. I'm glad you got yours sold. This is essentially a clone of the one that you just built. I am keeping everything stock with the exception of the POD of course. I'd like to hear how your pod affects the handling and how you like the ride. What do you think a good budget would be to have a POD built (feel free to pm if you'd prefer). What did you go with for a main motor and what kind of performance are you getting out of it?

Brian

I saw you haulin it over the hump today and thought it looked like a good pod project...

I used rich out of sooke earlier this year to build my pod and am very happy with the results. He does good work for a fair price and has a fast turn around time.

Do you have contact info for Rich out of Sooke? I stopped at E&D manufacturing by chance while making the obligatory Whiskey Creek ice cream stop. They seem very professional and the estimate sounds in line with what others have suggested. I also need to talk to the boys at DSS as I think they have quite a bit of experience in this area. I'm hoping to get the motor out and the hole filled, the bottom painted, and slip a newer trailer under it within the next month or two. After that I'm hoping to have a pod built and installed by Christmas. This build is going to be a slow one as I have far too many projects on the go. I just couldn't pass this one up.

Do you have contact info for Rich out of Sooke? I stopped at E&D manufacturing by chance while making the obligatory Whiskey Creek ice cream stop. They seem very professional and the estimate sounds in line with what others have suggested. I also need to talk to the boys at DSS as I think they have quite a bit of experience in this area. I'm hoping to get the motor out and the hole filled, the bottom painted, and slip a newer trailer under it within the next month or two. After that I'm hoping to have a pod built and installed by Christmas. This build is going to be a slow one as I have far too many projects on the go. I just couldn't pass this one up.
x 2 on E and D. They are awesome. They reno'd a 7'x 7' aluminum floor that I had to open up, cut out an inbuilt gas tank, rewelded it, pressure-tested it and add a barrier to a cabin at a fraction of what others were quoting! There workmanship was a lost top-rate.

Anyone want to PM me a quote they got from anyone? Just about at that stage for mine, want everything all finished on the inside before I take it to have the Pod built.

All the stars aligned and we finally found the perfect boat for our needs a 1978 20' Double Eagle in great shape. We came across this gorgeous fishing machine and brought it home today. The PO has redone the stringers, floor, and transom. Based on what we have seen so far it looks like he does good work and that is one headache we won't have to deal with anytime soon. The leg is off, we still have to remove the inboard and then we can start the process of converting it into our fishing sanctuary. We are looking for suggestions on a good fabricator for the pod. For power I'm thinking a 200hp on the light side and a 250hp on the high end which might be a bit too much power. Any other tips and suggestions from guys who have been down this road before would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Check out my 22' Double Eagle build on this forum. I have a pod from DSS in Duncan, and am very happy with it. After stripping out the interior, removing the inboard engines, and the added floatation of the pod the boat seems light. It floats level with the old waterline but 3" higher. I put on 2 115 etecs. It will easily plane and do 30 mph on one motor, however it does seem a bit under powered on only one. With both, the holeshot pushes me back in the seat and it gets to 40 mph fast.

Check out my 22' Double Eagle build on this forum. I have a pod from DSS in Duncan, and am very happy with it. After stripping out the interior, removing the inboard engines, and the added floatation of the pod the boat seems light. It floats level with the old waterline but 3" higher. I put on 2 115 etecs. It will easily plane and do 30 mph on one motor, however it does seem a bit under powered on only one. With both, the holeshot pushes me back in the seat and it gets to 40 mph fast.
What rpm are you at when running 40mph?

Hmmm. That's with twin 115's. I'm trying to set the boat up to cruise comfortably at 35 and run wot at 50mph. My 20' will be lighter than your 22' but I might need to look at a 250hp. Geeze bring on another $1000 ++++

Hmmm. That's with twin 115's. I'm trying to set the boat up to cruise comfortably at 35 and run wot at 50mph. My 20' will be lighter than your 22' but I might need to look at a 250hp. Geeze bring on another $1000 ++++

The second motor adds significantly to low end power, but not so much to top end. If I was going with a single and kicker, I'd go for a 150 or 200.

That's the thing with two small twins like 115's a guy could of wanted to get away from a kicker. A single 115 on a boat that size would troll very nice. A guy can alternate engines as to not run the hours up on them too bad. Just my thoughts on it. I'm looking at some boat options over the next couple years and this is a thought I had.
Mercury makes the new 115 4 stroke in high thrust, counter rotating engines they look like they would be a nice set up.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/ca/engines/outboard/fourstroke/75-115-hp/#specifications

Last edited:
Reallly 30mph 22' DE on a single 115hp? Doesn't seem right to me. Are you sure ??

Back