2017 Winter Harbour Reports

You are exactly right!! The fish I got into were not there the day before and they certainly aren't the same run that was around Kains. Smaller-different shape and colour-so I'm thinking another wave was coming in.
Yeah I figured that but still decent fishing.. I am leaving to Sooke on the 16th of August for 5 days and I'm really hoping to get into some big springs like we did in 2015. Last year in WH and Sooke was not good as you know it wasn't the greatest island wide but I timed this year right at the biggest floods of the month so hoping to get into some tyee class fish and hopefully the big runs we got into this year in WH just hit the highway and go straight south :) So those mid 20ish fish should be nice and fat by the time they hit Sooke :) Tight lines!!

You are exactly right!! The fish I got into were not there the day before and they certainly aren't the same run that was around Kains. Smaller-different shape and colour-so I'm thinking another wave was coming in.
And yes now comparing your pictures to the ones I posted completely different run of springs..

Yeah I figured that but still decent fishing.. I am leaving to Sooke on the 16th of August for 5 days and I'm really hoping to get into some big springs like we did in 2015. Last year in WH and Sooke was not good as you know it wasn't the greatest island wide but I timed this year right at the biggest floods of the month so hoping to get into some tyee class fish and hopefully the big runs we got into this year in WH just hit the highway and go straight south :) So those mid 20ish fish should be nice and fat by the time they hit Sooke :) Tight lines!!
You don't think some of those fish will turn off before Sooke?

You don't think some of those fish will turn off before Sooke?
Oh yeah that is just my wishful thinking that all the fish are going straight to Sooke :) But to be serious a good majority of that west side of Island run will be Fraser and Columbia river basin runs..

Oh yeah that is just my wishful thinking that all the fish are going straight to Sooke :) But to be serious a good majority of that west side of Island run will be Fraser and Columbia river basin runs..
Which means they have to pass right by Sooke :) The main chinook run passes Renfrew and Sooke to the Fraser and Columbia systems. Very few chinook go up the Sooke river, but the Sooke river gets thousands of Chum running up river..

We just got back from Winter Harbour, after about a week. We got limits of everything, ticket for springs last week was to head south to lawn point then out to the 300ft contour, fish 200ft on the riger and we had non stop coho and spring action. We couldn't find any spring near the lighthouse and in grants bay most of our fish came off the highway..

Heading up to WH next week, so what do you guys recommend I use for springs?

Use anchovies-medium size 5" or smaller as the bait is incredibly small, Lighthouse lures Nano Jug squirt in glow white, or greensplatterback; Cop car coyote 3.5; green and silver coyote 3.5; AP needlefish-same colours or coho killers. Never seen the bait this small so keep your lures and hootchies ---small

Heading up to WH next week, so what do you guys recommend I use for springs?

Skinny G's did a lot of damage for us. Gold/silver and Irish cream colours. You'll burn through a lot of bait with by-catch.

Got into Winter Harbour and tied up to Outpost 10pm Tues night..fished Wednesday and thursday
Flat calm waters for the WHOLE trip
Report is mostly as springfever said except we found the lighthouse on fire when there

Many springs were hit/caught/lost/ and boated sooo much fun there
Some very nice fish in there if you know where to entice them out of.
Only fished there 1st light and evening
We hit most on white hootchie.
Anchovie then ap sandlance spoon fished really well also there.
Never have I played springs that fought like that jumping coming out of water numerous times then only to take the run towards kelp or out deep

Off shore all day both days.
went up almost to cape scott Wednesday
Limits on all bottom fish except halis
Saw more than a few guys fishing INSIDE the TopKnot RCA doh??!!

Hi to Mike from Washington up there(soo jealous of your ride lol) for the summer was nice meeting and talking bottom fishing tactics with you back at the dock at night..enjoy your summer

Got into Winter Harbour and tied up to Outpost 10pm Tues night..fished Wednesday and thursday
Flat calm waters for the WHOLE trip
Report is mostly as springfever said except we found the lighthouse on fire when there

Many springs were hit/caught/lost/ and boated sooo much fun there
Some very nice fish in there if you know where to entice them out of.
Only fished there 1st light and evening
We hit most on white hootchie.
Anchovie then ap sandlance spoon fished really well also there.
Never have I played springs that fought like that jumping coming out of water numerous times then only to take the run towards kelp or out deep

Off shore all day both days.
went up almost to cape scott Wednesday
Limits on all bottom fish except halis
Saw more than a few guys fishing INSIDE the TopKnot RCA doh??!!

Hi to Mike from Washington up there(soo jealous of your ride lol) for the summer was nice meeting and talking bottom fishing tactics with you back at the dock at night..enjoy your summer

Nice report/post. Mike is my dad and he's been having a blast up there!

Hey Spring Fever. Mike with Callie Anne. Very nice meeting you and and your first mate in winter harbour. Tides are getting better now for hali. You coming back up this year? Appreciate your contributions to the forum and your helpfulness. Enjoyed our visiting although short. My son "Kramer", lol really knows how to catch em. Take care.

Hey Spring Fever. Mike with Callie Anne. Very nice meeting you and and your first mate in winter harbour. Tides are getting better now for hali. You coming back up this year? Appreciate your contributions to the forum and your helpfulness. Enjoyed our visiting although short. My son "Kramer", lol really knows how to catch em. Take care.

Too many Spring Fevers whose first name is Mike and love fishing WH--Must be the DNA, water or something!! Reminds me of a famous Newfoundland song that goes--You must be mistaken-I'm not the boys Dad!! But that doesn't mean he's not a fine Lad!! LOL Have fun guys I'll be there Friday-or at least one of the Spring Fevers or Mikes to meet Mike- father of Kramer. Any way something will happen!!
I just have to review here I am Spring Fever, driving Spring Fever II whose name is Mike and I'm fishing Winter Harbour Friday---I think I have it straight-Am I supposed to meet Jerry or Elaine-I'll ask Kramer-he'll know!!

Hi Mike (Callie Anne) and Kramer

I'm down in Seaside Oregon at the moment then hitting the dunes in Florence end of wk.
coming back on Sunday to work 1 wk then off to Seabeam in Bamfield sometime holiday week in August..soo not sure if i will be back up in Winter Harbour again this yr..to much to do and not enough time to do it all lol

Hope you are enjoying your summer up there..stay safe and again love love love that ride of yours

Cheers Steve
:)

Heading up to Quatsino July 28. Planning to fish July 29 to Aug 2. Hope there is another wave of fishing passing through. Will report when we get back as we don't have internet at our camp.

Heading up to Quatsino July 28. Planning to fish July 29 to Aug 2. Hope there is another wave of fishing passing through. Will report when we get back as we don't have internet at our camp.

Will be looking for it. Family keeping me tied up until just after that.

Back