2017 Pender Bluffs

Not great for us last night; 1 Dogfish, 1 little Pink, Kid was daydreaming when the pinpopper hit (I was dealing with the other rod at the time), and 1 teaser cleaned without either of us seeing any action.
Tide and the crud it brought was a pain in the a**.

Not great for us last night; 1 Dogfish, 1 little Pink, Kid was daydreaming when the pinpopper hit (I was dealing with the other rod at the time), and 1 teaser cleaned without either of us seeing any action.
Tide and the crud it brought was a pain in the a**.
Fished Bluffs alongside a dozen boat yesterday and today but never saw a net out. I fished chovie at 115 and 120 but no takers . I saw a small pink jump that was it.

Fished Bluffs alongside a dozen boat yesterday and today but never saw a net out. I fished chovie at 115 and 120 but no takers . I saw a small pink jump that was it.

To be fair, the Pink we caught was still a keeper, but we still skipped the Bluffs today. Hit Collinson (2 feed the dogfish), and then Salamanca for an 8-10 lb Spring.

To be fair, the Pink we caught was still a keeper, but we still skipped the Bluffs today. Hit Collinson (2 feed the dogfish), and then Salamanca for an 8-10 lb Spring.
That's perfect spring for BBQ , I'm hoping more springs will show later at Bluffs. I'm 5 minute walk to marina now compared to launching all my life.

Was at the bluffs Saturday morning 8:30 - 1pm. Caught a pink at 140' on a needle G in the first 15 minutes, and trolled up a ling cod at the south end. Nothing else. We were definitely hoping for better results. Nice day though, that ended in an orca show.

At Pender Bluffs this morning , fished for an hour so far towing chovie. No bites and have not seen a pink jump.

Ended up fishing between Portland and Moresby islands for cod. I kept away from RCA zone and still had one on every time jog hit bottom.

Got out on the Bluffs again this evening along with half dozen boats. After an hour I dropped lines from 100 to 130 and something hit and came off after lots of head shaking. Had another pin popper and that was it. I did see a fellow with his kids cleaning what they thought was a pink, I showed them the spotted tail an black mouth. It was a 16 inch spring.

Been out a few times this summer..... nothing. I haven't drummed up the courage to go back out there since about 10 days ago. Still having better luck at the legion meat draw. One of the locals went out for quite a while today and got one pitiful tiny little thing. Haven't seen the orcas around either. Isn't this supposed to be a pink year? Might try giving it a go on Sunday.

Been out a few times this summer..... nothing. I haven't drummed up the courage to go back out there since about 10 days ago. Still having better luck at the legion meat draw. One of the locals went out for quite a while today and got one pitiful tiny little thing. Haven't seen the orcas around either. Isn't this supposed to be a pink year? Might try giving it a go on Sunday.
I would say pretty much all the runs of every salmon are done now.We may see the odd decent spring run here and there but it's pretty much over on the inside. I was out tonite along with a dozen boats and got 4 tiny guys that all survived, lucky no seals around. I caught them in a matter of a few minutes then nothing.

not sure if you were being sarcastic of not there @Blackmax as the fishing has been so slow around pender/gulf islands lately that it does feel like we've seen the last of the salmon. That said, I will make a personal guarantee ;) that the action will pick up drastically in the next few weeks here. The bluffs will see tons of pinks come rolling by thru August as they typically do during large Fraser pink years (every odd year) so that will keep the rods busy at least. And while Fraser spring numbers are not looking great so far we are yet to see any of the Harrison fish show up (again, late August) and those are typically the biggest springs we get to target in the gulf islands/mouth of fraser. All of the dozens and dozens of different Fraser salmon runs show up quite predictable on schedule year over year... it's just the early runs have not been great for any of the species so hopefully the later runs come back in decent numbers. See you out at pender bluffs in mid/late August to pick off a few high 20's! ;)

I would say pretty much all the runs of every salmon are done now.We may see the odd decent spring run here and there but it's pretty much over on the inside. I was out tonite along with a dozen boats and got 4 tiny guys that all survived, lucky no seals around. I caught them in a matter of a few minutes then nothing.

not sure if you were being sarcastic of not there @Blackmax as the fishing has been so slow around pender/gulf islands lately that it does feel like we've seen the last of the salmon. That said, I will make a personal guarantee ;) that the action will pick up drastically in the next few weeks here. The bluffs will see tons of pinks come rolling by thru August as they typically do during large Fraser pink years (every odd year) so that will keep the rods busy at least. And while Fraser spring numbers are not looking great so far we are yet to see any of the Harrison fish show up (again, late August) and those are typically the biggest springs we get to target in the gulf islands/mouth of fraser. All of the dozens and dozens of different Fraser salmon runs show up quite predictable on schedule year over year... it's just the early runs have not been great for any of the species so hopefully the later runs come back in decent numbers. See you out at pender bluffs in mid/late August to pick off a few high 20's! ;)
Im sure there will be some big springs later on. But not being sarcastic as far as the state of salmon now, it's a shame it's come to this now.

Back