2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

DFO's website is a waste of taxpayers $$ in my opinion. Terrible user interface, poor data quality and extremely onorous navigation makes it a great candidate for the crappiest website among all public entities. It'd be a big investment to completely revamp that website and make it user friendlier, supplied with more accurate and up to date data (for all stakeholders) but given the broad impact that it has on all user groyps it'd just be a no brainer to do the upgrade.

Maybe we should create a separate tread and explore ways to push this request to the DFO.

Now back to the reports: any updates from the harbor today? :);)

Last edited:
Checking in for a friend. He put in at Rocky Point early this morning. Haven't heard from him, so it could be the opposite! Trying some vicarious living as I couldn't get out there with him.

Checking in for a friend. He put in at Rocky Point early this morning. Haven't heard from him, so it could be the opposite! Trying some vicarious living as I couldn't get out there with him.

Out at roger Curtis area, haven't got a sniff yet.

I think he's working West Van. Haven't heard from him but will update here if I find out what, where & how.

5-9 bell to QA 1 wild coho on 11" flasher and kitchen sink 60' in the rigger. Miced to PA and so far 1 undersized chinook and that's it. A bit lumpy but fishwble. Not risers and no nets out so far.

Pink Apts. Hatch Ho in the boat, a few more pops off the rigger white glo hootch @ 60ft on the rigger on one side. Few sharks on the meat side.

hi,went fishing yesterday cowan to roger,6 30 to 2 pm,got ,1 hatchery coho ,lost 2 fish at the boat in 5 minutes,one was a pink for sure,3 bites in 6 hours trolling,the water was good,at least no skunk on the boat,

Cowan point at 3PM. 15 of them all jigging for Ling Cod. They pulled up 3 in 10 mins. I went up beside them to ask them WTF they were doing and the captain told me to F*#k off. Where is the DFO?

Attachments

• IMG_3465.JPG
    IMG_3465.JPG
    299.4 KB · Views: 252
Cowan point at 3PM. 15 of them all jigging for Ling Cod. They pulled up 3 in 10 mins. I went up beside them to ask them WTF they were doing and the captain told me to F*#k off. Where is the DFO?

I'm getting seasick trying to sort out that pic.
Any chance you can repost it.

Here we go: Cowan point at 3PM. 15 of them all jigging for Ling Cod. They pulled up 3 in 10 mins. I went up beside them to ask them WTF they were doing and the captain told me to F*#k off. I have video. Where is the DFO?

Attachments

• IMG_3465.JPG
    IMG_3465.JPG
    299.9 KB · Views: 222
Here we go: Cowan point at 3PM. 15 of them all jigging for Ling Cod. They pulled up 3 in 10 mins. I went up beside them to ask them WTF they were doing and the captain told me to F*#k off. I have video. Where is the DFO?

Well the obvious question is did you call them, they definitely aren't coming without a violation report.
As for them having enough boats to be on site every time a violation occurs, obviously that is never going to happen.

2lb Hali ball might change the captains attitude. Any hull # on that boat ? Prob no speaky tha engish be the excuse for ignorance and breaking the law

Well the obvious question is did you call them, they definitely aren't coming without a violation report.
As for them having enough boats to be on site every time a violation occurs, obviously that is never going to happen.
I said "Wheres the DFO" as a rhetorical question.

I said "Wheres the DFO" as a rhetorical question.

It's not actually rhetorical. You had a rare opportunity to make a real difference, and hopefully you didn't squander it, or if you did you learned from your mistake and will take action next time

2lb Hali ball might change the captains attitude. Any hull # on that boat ? Prob no speaky tha engish be the excuse for ignorance and breaking the law
Nice Trophy!! He's obviously been approached before based on the lighting quick response.
It's not actually rhetorical. You had a rare opportunity to make a real difference, and hopefully you didn't squander it, or if you did you learned from your mistake and will take action next time
Hey buddy this isn't a rare opportunity, this boat is out there all the time doing this. Theres multiple posts about it on this thread. I have video and multiple pictures and just because I didn't call the hotline to get a message machine doesn't mean I won't take action. My post was to shame the boat in question not to get in an online squabble regarding the efficiency of the DFO.

Last edited:
Nice Trophy!! He's obviously been approached before based on the lighting quick response.

Hey buddy this isn't a rare opportunity this boat is out there all the time doing this. Theres multiple posts about it on this thread. I have video and multiple pictures and just because I didn't call the hotline to get a message machine doesn't mean justice won't be served.

I've actually never had the phone ring more than 4 times, always get a dfo officer asking competent questions, and I'm often out there 7 days a week.

DFO has had a fairly active presence in and around Thunderbird this week. Saw them alongside several boats, both moored in the marina and out front. Based on the boats I saw them checking, it appeared to me they were taking a focussed approach.

Back