Canning candied fish

Fish Camp

I had some candied salmon that was canned in jars.Looked and tasted very oily and good.I have never canned smoked fish and would like to try and achive what I was given a piece of .How do I can smoked fish?thanks. FC

I've had canned smoked salmon before. Really good! I believe they smoked it half way/time then canned it. It was moist and delicious. But nothing like what you have pictured there. I'm intrigued.

Thanks madjigga .Me too, I feel the enthusiasum.About to start.cutting the fillets into strips for cut after smoke/or cut uncooked strips pre cut to jars capacity and start the previose thread on brine.Might be favorable on more brown sugar and no wash of freash water ,and remove before second cook is comlpet in smoker.Would a cold smoke out a lil chife by unpluging and let the alder pucks do there job for a cold smoke?i will creat this product with all help .thanks FC.

Would love to try this as well. Hopefully someone can nail down and post the recipe..

Took a measure of strait side jars and cut salmon to slices.2 cup brown sugar ,1/2 cup white sugar,1/2 cup cane sugar,3/4 cup course sea salt ,1/5 cup table salt,3/4cup honey ,3 tbs vh garlic sturfry sause ,3 tbs tai sause, montreal stake spice ,pepper corn,olive oil,and 1/4 cup water to make a slurry of goodness.used up the last of many ingrediants on the shelves.placed in lidded rubber made tote with ice packs in the brine and ice packs inside lidded cooler.before bed tonight I will have 12 hours and stir and give another 18 hours brine time ,place fish on racks and sread out on tub floor for fan dry.How do I keep the jars from breaking when put in boiling water?CDSCF2360.JPG DSCF2359.JPG DSCF2360.JPG DSCF2359.JPG an i use honey and olive oil in the jar for canning or will it cause bochilizm?

You need a pressure cooker, 11 psi for 100 minutes.

The canning process enhances the smoke, I only smoke for 2hrs then can.

I tried a batch after the full smoking process and the sugar burned or caramelized in the jars, it didn't turn out very good.

You need a pressure cooker, 11 psi for 100 minutes.

The canning process enhances the smoke, I only smoke for 2hrs then can.

I tried a batch after the full smoking process and the sugar burned or caramelized in the jars, it didn't turn out very good.

He Canso, what kind of smoker are you using? Steady smoke for two hours or a pan or two then just the heat from the element? My little chief smoker will burn a pan of chips in about 30/40 minutes. I'm thinking that would be too many pans if I did 2 hrs worth?

Pressure cooker .new jars.DSCF2363.JPG olive oil honey and red pepper will be added to the jars . I will remove fish after 2 hrs smoke in lil chief ,using green alder banch stripped of bark and cut to 1/4 " pucks with skill saw.placed cast iron pan on element of lil chief .I have bricks for the corners of the chief to lift the smoker to let air in ,might leave the door open and try to keep the temp at 140 by disconecting power once pucks are smoldering .

Last edited:
This is how I will do it.In one pot have hot lids and rings .in another large pot have hot jars .preheat the oil honey and peppers and start removing hot fish pieces from smoker .Hot ingrediants go into the jars and rim wiped clean and hot lid placed on .place jars in pressure canner (with rings on how tight?) .The water in the pressure canner must be 3.5"high and must have a ring at the bottom and previosely boild and hot. 8 jars I will fill one layer of canner and 8 I hope will not be broken after.

Pressure cooker .new jars.View attachment 34292 olive oil honey and red pepper will be added to the jars . I will remove fish after 2 hrs smoke in lil chief ,using green alder banch stripped of bark and cut to 1/4 " pucks with skill saw.placed cast iron pan on element of lil chief .I have bricks for the corners of the chief to lift the smoker to let air in ,might leave the door open and try to keep the temp at 140 by disconecting power once pucks are smoldering .

I wouldn't worry too much about getting your fish to 140 temp (assuming you are trying to cook it) as you will be canning the fish and as Canso said you will be at 11 psi for 1 hour and forty minutes...it will be cooked in the jar!

He Canso, what kind of smoker are you using? Steady smoke for two hours or a pan or two then just the heat from the element? My little chief smoker will burn a pan of chips in about 30/40 minutes. I'm thinking that would be too many pans if I did 2 hrs worth?

1 pan and leave it in for 2 hours during the winter months or late fall probably less during the summer. big chief smoker.

It still came out strong, My best was 50/50 smoked and fresh in the jar before pressure canning.

I use dry brine, bag of brown sugar, 1/4 cup salt and garlic to taste (2+tablespoons).

This is how I will do it.In one pot have hot lids and rings .in another large pot have hot jars .preheat the oil honey and peppers and start removing hot fish pieces from smoker .Hot ingrediants go into the jars and rim wiped clean and hot lid placed on .place jars in pressure canner (with rings on how tight?) .The water in the pressure canner must be 3.5"high and must have a ring at the bottom and previosely boild and hot. 8 jars I will fill one layer of canner and 8 I hope will not be broken after.
You don't need to pre heat anything, the canner will get everything hot, yes boil lid seals, and snug them on tight in one motion, nothing crazy, just one motion tight.
Load as you said, put on lid, bring to a boil for 10 mins or so then install pressure weight.

I'm intrested to hear how it turns out with honey and oil.

Last edited:

Smoke about 1/2 of what your family usually likes, canning kicks it way up.

Put everything in sterilized jars leaving 1" head space, it's common practice to put the jar parts in the dishwasher to clean, lids finger tight over wiped rims. Jars or ingredients don't need to be hot while being filled or before going into the canner, no worries about anything breaking. Place bottom row in canner on the spacer plate it'll come with, do a second row separated by the other plate if needed. Fill till 1/2 way up the first or second row from the tap hot, cold whatever, clamp down the lid. Crank the heat until steam has escaped from the OPEN vent for 10 minutes, put the weight on and adjust heat to maintain 10 psi for 100 minutes. Turn off heat, remove weight, allow pressure and heat to dissipate until it can be safely opened. Carefully without sloshing contents (product could get between seal disc and rim and affect the seal) remove jars to a rack or towel on the counter and let em sit, you'll hear the lids popping as they cool and seal. To check if a lid is sealed after cooling push on the center and see if it's popped down, if it pops back and forth it won't be shelf stable but will still be perfectly edible at this point so give er a test and dig in! For the smoking part internal temp or how cooked it is doesn't matter, it's strictly for flavor the cooking will happen in the jars. Don't add too much liquid the fish will let out lots of moisture.

The air from the fan drys the lower side of salmon pieces.After 1.5 hrs off direct fan the pieces , candy was stuck to the racks .Repositioned all fish pieces .Thinkin I should take the fish off racks and wash them again and use pam spray on rack before smoking.

Back