2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Well bought a boat a few weeks back knowing it needed a new engine.....after many long days and nights installing the new engine and outfitting the boat we finally had a chance to take the kids out for an evening. Fished west van this evening with hootchies and anchovies. Landed 1 undersized spring on an anchovies at about 50ft. Much to the disappointment of the kids it was gently and quickly released..... hopefully good luck for the boat.

Grew up fishing Port Alberni and Campbell River as a kid and never fished my backyard...... all I can say is wow we live in a beautiful place and I can't wait to explore more if it from the ocean. What a great night;

Last edited:
Well bought a boat a few weeks back knowing it needed a new engine.....after many long days and nights installing the new engine and outfitting the boat we finally had a chance to take the kids out for an evening. Fished west van this evening with hootchies and anchovies. Landed 1 undersized spring on an anchovies at about 50ft. Much to the disappointment of the kids it was gently and quickly released..... hopefully good luck for the boat.

Grew up fishing Port Alberni and Campbell River as a kid and never fished my backyard...... all I can say is wow we live in a beautiful place and I can't wait to explore more if it from the ocean. What a great night;
Will be more fun for the kids when the pinks show up in numbers in a couple of weeks or so:)

Last edited:
Extremely slow day at Thrasher today: the crossing both ways was excellent (zero wind) and absolutely no wind throughout the day. Trolled a variety of depths and presentations but just one bite that didn't stick. Saw 20ish boats at one point today but didn't see any fish hooked or landed. Was a great day to BBQ and enjoy the weather with some good friends though.
I was a thrasher too ,trolling 6 hours,3 bites,release 1 wild coho,2 bites didn't stick,even for me the best part was the barbecue and the ride ,beautiful day but skunk on the boat ,things will change soon .

Last edited:
Extremely slow day at Thrasher today: the crossing both ways was excellent (zero wind) and absolutely no wind throughout the day. Trolled a variety of depths and presentations but just one bite that didn't stick. Saw 20ish boats at one point today but didn't see any fish hooked or landed. Was a great day to BBQ and enjoy the weather with some good friends though.
I was a thras

I was a thrasher too ,trolling 6 hours,3 bites,release 1 wild coho,2 bites didn't stick,even for me the best part was the barbecue and the ride ,beautiful day but skunk on the boat ,things will change soon .
Should have stayed on this side of the strait. We had 2 keepers, 10# and 14#. Lost one keeper right at the boat. Released 3 undersized. Two dog fish. I think we even saw the gypsy drifter but name removed from the boat.

We were at roger Curtis. 110' and bite was on for chovies and spoons

Last edited:
Started at cowan yesterday morning and into coho steady for next 2 hrs trolling towards Roger. Kept 2 lost many more a lot of under and some dogfish to add. Herring trolled 50-65. About 2pm the bite was on again at Roger. Pinks have arrived and hit many as well as a Chinook. For those waiting for the pinks it looks like they as well as the coho are moving in.

Beauty day for us at Gabriola yesterday, calm waters and decent action. We fished just off Grande in the morning and hooked into 6, kept 3 with the biggest at 11.5 lbs. Nothing big but enough action to make it fun. The fish were down very deep. Like 225 - 275 on the rigger with 15lb cannon balls. All fish on skinny G and skinny needle.

Today trolled up along Cowan to Roger Curtis. 5 unders, one beauty hatch ho. Bites were scattered on, before, after tide change. 50-110 spoons

Last edited:
July 8 me and 16 lb white Chinook from South Bowen.JPG
Fished between Cowan and Roger Curtis yesterday noon to 5pm.... lots of shakers and pinks (we released them all), then finished the day with a 16 lb Chinook... all at 68 feet on a Kingfisher 3" with a blue/chrome flasher. Not sure how to make the pic the right side up! Really fun day on the water!

Last edited by a moderator:
We were busy off Bowen yesterday. Rods down at 6 am and had the place for ourselves for the first hour. Had the first one on before the second rod was down and was pretty much non stop till we limited on springs before 10:30 am, plus one hatchery coho. Lots of unders - had about 30 fish on over the morning with five double headers. Lost of couple nice ones. Biggest was just over 11 lbs.

IMG_2655.jpg

Tried for a repeat today... Only got to take one home (13 lb hatchery marbled), but lost a few nice ones as big or slightly bigger on slower but steady action through the morning. They definitely were biting softer today. Released three nice wild coho (4 - 6 lbs) along with one sockeye that was in the mix as well. Was hoping for a pink and a chum by the end of the today just for the sweep.

IMG_2669.jpg

All action for us was on hoochies and bait - fish were stuffed with 4 - 5" anchovies - from 50 to 100 ft.

Had an interesting day on Sunday fishing cowans pt. had 6 dog fish, two back flipping coho a pink and several chinook. One of which was a keeper, 4 undersize, and one almost legal that took the bait on the surface while I was resetting (had the line looped under the reel seat while I reached for the release clip.... rod doubled back on itself as I tried to pulll the line out the rod snapped then I was hand lining a 45cm chinook that foul hooked itself just aft of midline. Made for an interesting last fish for sure

Went for a troll last night from cowan to curtis and back. Lots of undersized springs, couple wild coho. 50-100 on the riggers.

Fished thrasher and grande Monday Tuesday, all undersized chinook. Got our lings on the reef.

Fished the west van shoreline this evening from 5-9. Marked a few bait balls in front of the pink building snd hooked two undersize chinooks closer to the fisheries on spoons. Didn't see any risers or school of salmon. Beautiful evening out there though.

Last edited:
Been tracking HS all this week. Live in this area. From shore and boat. Haven't seen them at any of my favorite spots. Some days the water has been rough so not easy to spot. Will do a post when I finally see them.

Fished the west van shoreline this evening from 5-9. Marked a few bait balls in front of the pink building snd hooked two undersize chinooks closer to the fisheries on spoons. Didn't see any risers or school of salmon. Beautiful evening out there though.

Fished this morning from 8 to 11. My ten year old brought in an undersized spring and my 7 year got to bring in a small hatchery coho. Near the pink apartments on anchovies at 65 ft.

After first week in August they should start showing.
That's way later than normal. 2 years ago july 8th-9th had some stellar action on the 6wt, 4 years ago 19th, 6 years ago I didn't get out till the 26th but it was rockstar action

Back