2017 Campbell River Reports

Any post derby reports? Heard there were a few boats out there. Wind looked like it could have been an issue. I'm still envious.

Seemed to be fish around, we kept an 17 pounder, too small for a derby prize but fun. First light we hit 2 springs, 10 pounder ish and released them, hootchie and an anchovy at 110 hump to lighthouse drift. Bigger fish was deeper on an anchovy later in the ebb. Heard the green can was producing well, the wind really buggered our troll, not rough but blowing us around.The winning fish was around 30 pounds.

Go to royal lepage fishing derby on face book to get top fish and location

Last edited:
Fished around the hump this morning, we were rewarded with a nice white spring just shy of 20. Quite a few dogs too unfortunately.

i'm at quadra july 24-26...only a 15 foot freighter canoe with 5hp motor so limited(very) to where i can go...any suggestions for tucked away spots i could try on quadra?

Hi Gang, years ago there was a guy that worked on outboard motors and had a ton of older parts. He was past the bridge from Rivers heading North by a couple miles or so. Does anyone know if he is still in business?

I'm looking for a starter pinion gear for a T9.9 Part # 689-81807-12-00

I have a good starter that needs the gear so I thought of trying to find a starter that is toast that I can buy the gear from.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I believe you are referring to Sonny on Perkins Rd. If you head out of town towards Hardy go past the car dealerships. Turn onto Perkins on your right. He's about half a block off the highway on the right. He is still around, I was just there a week ago looking for parts for my brother in laws outboard.
There's also Kevin at Seaworthy. He also has a lot of older parts around. Good luck

Sonny will be your better bet for Yamaha parts

Thanks very much.

If it's not to much trouble if you do stop by an old burnt out starter with a good gear is the ticket.

Sorry I know this is a fishing report thread, I posted on the Campbell River site as I figured someone would know something.

My email is:

codfathers@hotmail.com

Holy crap there were a lot of boats packed in right at the Green Can today.
Fished more towards Francisco away from the pack and ended up with a couple undersized. Saw a few other fish caught while we were there.
Moved over to the lighthouse drift after the tide change and had a couple more undersized and a nice ling that we are just about to sit down for dinner with.
Salmon were on big cutplug herring. at 140-170 and ling was on pistachio cuttlefish right on bottom. Green flasher.

Fished both morning and evening ebbs today. Hump to light drift running through my plug collection. Finally getting some success, lol. Green plugs and UV blue/green worked best for me.

How are you guys doin out there? I see you all (well there's boats fishing) at the hump and the light and green can and red can and Francisco point, although when I went up to Hall and Denham to find a skunk, I only saw one other boat fishing.

Stay safe everybody; see ya out there tomorrow

Thanks for the enthusiastic report. Looking forward to giving it another go. True it doesn't always pay to travel, although the boat ride can be worth it.

Plugs are one of my favorite ways to fish. The last couple years though I seem to have gravitated back to flasher and hootchie or anchovy. So many different combinations that can work well, all we need is fish.

Picked up a couple undersized off of Viner last night 75' may go check out Toba in the next couple days.

Fished the hump and lighthouse this evening. No springs and bait was few and far between, two ling cod on two drifts one keeper. It was cool out there, had to put on a sweater. Anybody see the new Moon, besides the one at the boat launch. lol.

Fished the green can with everyone else in town this afternoon. We picked up a 11 and a 20 and lost 2 more.
Army truck got 3 out of 4 bites

Fished the green can with everyone else in town this afternoon. We picked up a 11 and a 20 and lost 2 more.
Army truck got 3 out of 4 bites

Tangled, how deep are you fishing at the Green Can?. I went on Friday night and landed one but it was slow in my boat, others were doing better than me. Thanks for sharing.

Back